thurstan

Trip to Ephesus
I thought I would share an experience we had earlier this summer:-

TRIP TO EPHESUS

After some meticulous planning (quick 5 minute discussion with a dodgy looking guy selling excursions from a booth next to the Turkish delight shop) we had a vague idea that Ephesus opened at 8 in the morning. Lets go tomorrow! exclaimed the eldest.

So the next morning, breakfast over, we jumped into the car and set off at 08.38 – only eight minutes later than planned.

Here it might be appropriate to explain who “we” are. We are a family on holiday in Kusadasi – Mum, Dad and 3 children plus two girlfriends. So seven of us in all.

The drive from Kusadasi is very simple. We started from the Long beach area so picked up the main road from Soke at the new Dia supermarket at the Adapark shopping centre. From there uits a straight road through Kusadasi and out towards Selcuk, passing Kustur beach and the water parks. The new road through the mountain is great and by 9 we were passing the Selcuk airfield. “Skydive Ephesus!” read the sign.

I had carried out a recce of the carpark when I came over the previous November so knew that parking for private cars was just 3YTL. We parked in the semi-shade by the fence and disgorged from the car a small 7 seater made by that well-known car manufacturer, Dacia. Still, its cheap to hire, has aircon and we all just fit in. Then came the hard sell – Guidebook!, Taxi!, Free Transfer!!. Well it is a tourist place after all.

We duly purchased an English guidebook for 10YTL and politely declined the Taxi (which would have been a further 10YTL to take us “to the top”).

The guidebook seller explained that it was 2km to the top, which even at this time of day would take us 2 hours, then the walk bach another hour as it was mainly downhill. The best option he suggested was to take a taxi to the top and walk down – that was what most people did. And if you were on an organised trip the coach would drop you at the top and collect you at this lower carpark.

It was here that the free-transer man sidled in and expounded “taxi too expensive”. “we give free transfer” he went on. So, ever the optimist we went for the free transfer which we were told involved a 10 minute stop at one of three options – Jewelery market, leather market or ceramic market (with no obligation to buy anything)

After a short wait during which we took the opportunity to apply suntan cream, a battered looking minibus pulled up. As we piled into this ancient vehicle I began to wonder about the wisdom of the free transfer – the minbus looked old enough to have been used on phase 1 of the original development here!.
We skirted the Ehesus site then turned left towards town to arrive a few minutes later at Ephesus Gold – wow! This was thebiggest warehouse packed with gold we had ever seen. Hands firmly in pockets we politely oohed and aahed our way through the displays for the obligatory 10 minutes.
We headed for the exit glad that for once the credit cards had been left behind.We wemeged from the back of the warehouse, through the shop, to find that the seven-seat minibus had cleared off and all that was left was a four seat Doblo.

Two trips had to be made to get us to the top entrance to Ephesus where we were assailed by yet more guidebook sellers as well as shops selling hats, souvenirs and water. “Two people fainted in the heat yesterday” claimed the hat seller “no” corrected his water selling neighbour “it was two camels”. Well they were certainly making the most of the conditions as the temperature was rising and the sun shining strongly.

Luckily we had brought hats and two large bottles of frozen water so we pressed on towards the entrance.

By now it was nearing 10 – an hour wasted with the free transfer – and coachloads of cruise-ship trippers were arriving. We fought our way through the throngs at the turnstiles to the payment window. !0 YTL per person seemed reasonable to me.

Off we went, guidebook in hand to look at the ruins. Unusually it was possible to stand on and touch the stones. I suspect it wont be long before visitors are held at a distance by ropes and not allowed to touch anything

Earwigging in on official guides’ talk and referring to the guidebook was enough for us to understand what we were looking at. We could have picked up an official guide at the entrance – there were several touting for business – but we felt more comfortable flitting between the bits that caught our fancy and that we found interesting

The whole site seems to be one long street with bits of interest dotted on each side which seem to get bigger and more interesting as you go down.

Highlights obviously include the Celsus Library with its adjacent Mazaeus gate, the Grand Theatre and the 50m long mosaic.

For an extra 10 YTL you can go and have a look at the houses on the slopes but we left that for another time.

We reached the bottom entrance after one and a half hours, just as it was starting to get hot. We were thankful of the cold water that had kept us refreshed during the walk

VERDICT – well worth a visit. Total cost for us was 85 YTL including postcards (carhire extra).

ESSENTIALS

1.Opening times: 08.00 to 19.00

2.Entry Fee 10 YTL

3.Take a hat and some water

4.Park at the bottom and take a taxi to the top (don’t fall for the free transfer offer – its not!)​

Last edited:

parrot

Trip to Ephesus
A cracking post well worth a rep.We went last may,but didn't do the tourist bit as it was too hot,we went to the car park at the bottom then drove up to Marys house.We will do the full monty,without the factories and shops, next year with visitors from Oz.

Harem

I've cliqued
Trip to Ephesus
Absolutely great post, Thurstan. Next time we are up that way we'll go and have a look, it seems well worth it.

If you are ever Antalya way, go to the museum there, entrance fee is 10 YTL and well worth it.

thurstan

Trip to Ephesus
thanks guys - I wanted to attach some photos but the file sizes are too big and I dont know how to reduce them (pathetic I know)

Thurstan

maviska

Trip to Ephesus
off top. how to reduce your pics. theres a nice program that belongs to sahibinden.com you can download it there. you dont need to reduce pic by pic. just show the file where all pics are and it reduces it. with all the pics. hope helps somebody!

thurstan

Trip to Ephesus
maviska said:
off top. how to reduce your pics. theres a nice program that belongs to sahibinden.com you can download it there. you dont need to reduce pic by pic. just show the file where all pics are and it reduces it. with all the pics. hope helps somebody!

thanks for the tip - but I keep my computer as clean as possible and avoid programmes from niche site as they often add things without telling you. took me ages to clean up the system when my kids had been on things like kazaa

Thurstan

lynd

Trip to Ephesus
We are hoping to visit Ephesus in April travelling from Fethiye. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel.We are considering hiring a car or using public transport.

Harem

I've cliqued
Trip to Ephesus
Well, Lynd, might see you. We are also going up in April from Fethiye!!!

Bubbafella

The one and only
Trip to Ephesus
Great post Thurston, thanks for the info. I know It'a a place the wife would like to visit at some point.

Bubba

biggles

biggles
Trip to Ephesus
we did the same as you ,we drove there and the min we got out the car we were assailed withthe free transfer,they even conned us into believing that the entrance was at the top and that where we were was the exit [cant get in there] and we had no time to mess around as we had to be back at the bank in bodrum by 5 pm. so the time we finally got in .it was straight back down and then back to bodrum .made it by 4.50pm with bank lady standing outside bank looking for us .wont get caught again with the 1 hour free transfer.

Guz1

Trip to Ephesus
Great info, Thurstan.

When I visit Ephesus I never park in the lower car park. I drive on towards Selcuk, take a right turn at the traffic lights, drive on a short distance and take another right (all turns signposted) and that takes me to the top car park. Unlike Thurstan, we aren't early risers so it could be late afternoon by the time we arrive there but the walk through Ephesus is all downhill in the blazing sunshine and we escape the worst of the heat walking up the hill on the way back.

It's worth the money to hire one of the official guides because they are really good and take you through the site at your own pace.

If you have plenty of time, stop off in Selcuk and make your way to St. John's church where there are spectacular views over the surrounding countryside. Selcuk is a lovely town with a little park in the centre selling tea and soft drinks. There's also a cafe in the museum opposite the park.

Trip to Ephesus
Guz1 When I visit Ephesus I never park in the lower car park. I drive on towards Selcuk, take a right turn at the traffic lights, drive on a short distance and take another right (all turns signposted) and that takes me to the top car park.

Guz1,That's the way to go .. :25:

Note,
İf you pay entrance to ephesus,on the same day you get free entrance to the museum,

heyjude

Trip to Ephesus
Or alternatively we went on the 28th December 2006.

We drove ourselves there getting slightly way laid by the retail outlets.

2 other cars in the car park and not a coach in sight.

Some of the traders were open and I think had almost given up on selling prefering to sit and drink coffe instead.

It was cold out of the sun but the whole place was serene and there were few people there leaving us to explore every last inch unhassled.

A beautiful cat joined our journey around the place, he was almost saying this is my home and how proud he was of it. We could'nt have had a better tour guide. (Cynics may say he was just looking for food!)

I have seen it in the crowds and in a quieter moment, if you can, do both to fully appreciate the full flavour of the place.

I sat on the last row of the Ampitheatre watching Diana Ross when they used to have concerts there, so many contrasts.

How magnificent must it have been in it's time.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Trip to Ephesus
We took my mum a few years ago and went early in the season so it wasn't too hot or busy. Having a Turkish fella cut down on the hassle. We dawdled past a crowd who had a tour guide but turned out to be in a foreign language darn it!! We went to Mary's house as well. My mum was thrilled to find a wild tortoise roaming about happily. We went back down in a horse drawn carriage!! It was a great day!

Just a thought. You often see an offer at the touristic places where you go to Ephesus one day and Pamukkale the next and it includes hotel one night. Always seems good value - anyone tried this option?

Attachments

• mam Ephesus.jpg
    mam Ephesus.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Trip to Ephesus
I went on the 2 day Ephesus/Pamukkale trip with Love Tours, fantastic trip, would highly recommend it. It cost us £35. mind that was in 2001, and included guided tour of Ephesus & Pamukkale & entrance to Cleopatra's pool, if you wanted to swim in the pool it cost an extra £6. which I did and was an amazing experience. Dinner, Bed, Breakfast & Lunch the next day was included, the hotel they put us in overnight was high class, bathrobes, soap & shampoo supplied, and all rooms were only 10' from the pool and had live entertainment on the evening.

elvis

Trip to Ephesus
we spent new yrs eve at ephesus & mary's house, it was a lovely day & so quiet.

sarah & elvis

Attachments

• DSCF1762 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1762 (Small).JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF1766 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1766 (Small).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF1778 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1778 (Small).JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 14

parrot

Trip to Ephesus
elvis said:
we spent new yrs eve at ephesus & mary's house, it was a lovely day & so quiet.

sarah & elvis
When you left Marys house did they say Elvis has left the building.Sorry couldn't resist it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom