zozatky

Tree name..??
I have one of these growing in my garden very nice & pretty but have asked lots of local folks only answer is Cicek .

Any one got one and the name of it ?

Attachments

• PICT0008-1.jpg
    PICT0008-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 73

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Tree name..??
It's difficult to tell for sure from the picture but I think it could be a Bottle Brush Tree or Callistemon.

Callistemon, Bottle Brush Tree

The Turkish word for flower is Cicek, so I guess your neighbours are just saying it's a Flower Tree.

Tree name..??
Definatley not a bottle brush, we have one in our garden and its very different, have tried to find out the name of this tree for ages as my friend in Mavisher wanted one for her garden, so come on someone help us out,

sharon

kermit

Tree name..??
it cöuld be a bird of paradise tree if you google it and go on images there are many types with different flowers . we have öne in the garden and the bees love it

zozatky

Tree name..??
Kermit you got it right found it..!! Well Done Its great when someone can answer Questions. Be interesting to find out how it came to Turkey

Caesalpinia gilliesii is a shrub in the legume family. It is commonly known as bird of paradise, but it is not related to the bird of paradise genus Strelitzia. It grows to 3-4 m tall. The leaves are bipinnate, 10-15 cm long, bearing 3-10 pairs of pinnae, each with 6-10 pairs of leaflets 5-6 mm long and 2-4 mm broad. The flowers are borne in racemes up to 20 cm long, each flower with five yellow petals with 10 long conspicuous red stamens.

It is a striking ornamental plant native to tropical America, mainly Argentina and Uruguay. It is naturalised in Texas, and fairly common in the rest of the southwestern United States, where it is known as bird of paradise bush, desert bird of paradise, yellow bird of paradise, and barba de chivo.

Although it is a tropical plant adapted to dry climate, it also thrives in the climate of Avsa and neighbouring islands in the south of Sea of Marmara in northwestern Turkey, where it is commonly known as Paşabıyığı (Pasabiyigi), Cennetkuşu ağacı (Cennetkusu agaci), which in Turkish means "bird of paradise tree," and Bodurakasya, which means "dwarf acacia".

Medicinal uses
Medicine men of peoples indigenous to the Amazon Rainforest used this plant and the similar Caesalpinia pulcherrima, which they called ayoowiri, for curing fever, sores, and cough. Four grams from the root is also said to induce abortion in the first trimester of pregnancy.[1] However, it must be noted that the seeds and the green seed pods of this plant are toxic, provoking severe vomiting and other abdominal symptoms.

Attachments

• DSCF0020-birdofparadise.jpg
    DSCF0020-birdofparadise.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 16

CanadaMom

Tree name..??
Zozatky - a number of the plants, flowers you see in southern Turkey originated in the Americas - hubby & I notice lots of them when we travel south to Cuba, Mexico etc. Just like tomatoes, potatoes that came over from there from South America. Globalization in the old days :)

Tree name..??
Hiya,

The trees name in Turkish is Pasa (Pasha) Biyik (no dots on the i's). Which means 'the Pasha's moustache'- I assume this refers to the red moustache like tendrils hanging from either side of the flower.

Ann

zozatky

Tree name..??
I have collected lots of seeds from my tree If any members have green fingers & would like some pm me with postal add. They make a very nice feature & easy to look after & will stand a good pruning to shape it .

Tree name..??
Hiya,

The trees name in Turkish is Pasa (Pasha) Biyik (no dots on the i's). Which means 'the Pasha's moustache'- I assume this refers to the red moustache like tendrils hanging from either side of the flower.

Ann

Hi Ann ..İts also called Fırça Ağacı ....brush tree..
if you google it in images/görseller you will get a lot of pictures especially from agaclar.net ..they say it originated from Australia...wherever..its still an interesting topic

m&t

Tree name..??
I also have lots of seed pods on mine if anyone in Dalaman wants some. Pm me if you want some.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom