Peregrine

Treatments for damp
that old chestnut again

after a few days of rain my walls are showing signs of damp.

The options I am considering are ceramic tiles on the inside walls (there are some tiled areas and they dont seem to exhibit any damp coming through) and then a damp-proof injection

I know someone did say they had done the injection themselves so I thought I'd also give it a go

any comments or tips?

carolk

R.I.P
Treatments for damp
Hi peregrine, as you know I have a bit of experience with this lol. When I had my roof done I also had the outside painted in a waterproof coating, not the stuff you just paint over thats a white milky substance but a thick water proof paint. It has to be roller-ed on. We have had some pretty bad rain the last 3 days and I stood outside and watched the rain completely roll off the walls, no sign of it inside for the first time ever!!

I also (and a few friends) had a damp proof course by the same guy, its one he devised himself (form working in Germany) where he makes the bottom bricks solid. I had heard very good things about him before I used him and he's just great!! He has put my house to rights and is building me a fire place next month with - FIRE BRICKS!! not just a tube that goes up the back that can explode or implode as I have seen both! As I don't know your area, I don't know if he works around there.

You can pm me for his number if you think any of this might be of any use to you.

juco

Treatments for damp
I know someone did say they had done the injection themselves

I dont have the link now but I googled and came across a site for DIY damproofing. You need to buy a couple of tools for the injection part and then the actual liquid (from memory I am sure it was less than £150 all in)
You have to drill holes along a line above ground level and then inject the `stuff` into them. Then when you are finished sell the tools on ebay :)
You should get it from google.

carolk

R.I.P
Treatments for damp
Juco, Gren emailed them and put the reply on here somewhere and it was just gibberish, they didn't answer his questions at all re-honeycomb bricks.

hijo

in my own clique
Treatments for damp
..unless you have cavity walls ..you cannot put a damproof injection ,the only thing i would suggest is drill a load of holes in your walls (right through) and put on those plastic ventilation covers both sides and put it over were you drilled the holes,..also whan i leave my villa in the winter ..i put large bowls of salt all over the house ..especially in cupboards..this will soak up moisture .that causes the damp..it works for me..:kitapoku:

gren

Treatments for damp
....I also had the outside painted in a waterproof coating, not the stuff you just paint over thats a white milky substance but a thick water proof paint. ....We have had some pretty bad rain the last 3 days and I stood outside and watched the rain completely roll off the walls, no sign of it inside for the first time ever!!

I also (and a few friends) had a damp proof course by the same guy, its one he devised himself where he makes the bottom bricks solid. You can pm me for his number if you think any of this might be of any use to you.

As Carol says but the DPC is drilled at cross-angles to link the terracottta brick cells. This is so 'all' the cells brick can be filled with goo.. Results are promising but still pending..

Remember Carol's exterior paint in itself won't prevent Rising damp.

DAMP AND RISING DAMP ARE DIFFERENT ISSUES!!!

hijo

in my own clique
Treatments for damp
...a neighbour of mine just got ..ceramic slabs (around 3foot by 3foot)..right around her house ..inside and out ..again pending so won,t know the results:31:

juco

Treatments for damp
Juco, Gren emailed them and put the reply on here somewhere and it was just gibberish, they didn't answer his questions at all re-honeycomb bricks.

The system I was looking at (cant remember the name) was suitable for honeycomb brickes, I emailed the guy at the time, it was a uk company and apparently they had a boat moored in Turkey and were well aware of the type of builds and its suitability.

If I can find the system again I will post it on here.

carolk

R.I.P
Treatments for damp
Granirili Boya. I understand you can not buy it from the shops it has to be ordered. Maybe some one in the trade can order it for you.

carolk

R.I.P
Treatments for damp
Yes Gren, it has like a ripely finish but it didn't look like Artex it looked more like paint. As you know, Zaf did it so I wasn't too involved in it all as I had been with the roof lol. I know the end result has been great after a lot of rain, it used to seep through the walls before, now it doesn't!!

gren

Treatments for damp
Yes, I think it is the same stuff he described to me to 'blend' the visual differences in external render. I mean any repairs made with one product look different to the original so this paint covers any visual discrepancies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom