Translation Services at Didim Tapu & Belediye Office - Online Petition

I think we have all been subjected to days where we have paid far too much to have something simple done because we could not speak the language here so trying to be as diplomatic and sensitive to Turkish nationality as I can I have just visited GoPetition and made a petition asking that the Belediye and Tapu Office provide a translator 2 mornings a week, which I hope to present to the mayor and Tapu Office is I can get about 1000 signatures:

I have not posted here enought to send links yet so if you are interested email me and I will forward the link

Regards

Alec

PS Comments on the petition would be greatly appreciated

catsfelix

How about trying to learn the language?

Alec I think this is a good idea.
My Turkish is pretty good but not good enough to translate legal documents and I too make the mistakes of foreign buyers as I do not know the system well until it is too late.

Also if the translator can guide the buyers about the details to look out for on the Tapu such as correct price paid etc.
We in the UK have lots of services and translators for the ethnic minorities.
There are thousands of Brits living in Altinkum paying taxes.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
How about trying to learn the language?

We are, most of us trying very hard to learn the language, but you go to the notary with all the legal jargon fired at you in Turkish and if you can translate what it is they are saying, well done for you. When you are parting with thousands of your hard earned cash and you want to make sure it is to the enth degree, you take a translator to avoid, god forbid any confusion later in the buying process.
Easy for you and others to say learn the language, we are, but it is not the easiest of languages, maybe you would like to offer your services to our friends on here that are giving, of their free time for us to learn a word a day!!! Your input would be very welcome I'm sure.

colin c

dont matter if your turkish is perfect you are still required to have a translator .
we bought an apartment in our daughters name and she can read , write and speak turkish well enough that she can pass as a turk but was still required to have a translator , i think you have to hold turkish a passport before you dont.
and the translators seem to be a little greedy here in didim , £40 for 5 mins in the tapu office to me seems a little high

zozatky

I hope things turn out in your favour. Here in Kusadasi the Yabanci is more than 12% & tax payers but there is little chance of our situation here changing. Folks around here have been trying to get a small foothold in to the system but the usual red tape pops up, Our new Baskan appointed a person to help with our probs but try to find him. Good luck & do keep us all informed of your quest .

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
We are, most of us trying very hard to learn the language, but you go to the notary with all the legal jargon fired at you in Turkish and if you can translate what it is they are saying, well done for you. When you are parting with thousands of your hard earned cash and you want to make sure it is to the enth degree, you take a translator to avoid, god forbid any confusion later in the buying process.
Easy for you and others to say learn the language, we are, but it is not the easiest of languages, maybe you would like to offer your services to our friends on here that are giving, of their free time for us to learn a word a day!!! Your input would be very welcome I'm sure.

Well said SS.

Thanks for all the kind replies.

My German wife and I are both doing Turkish courses and we love living in Turkey but as stated in the petition pre-amble learning Turkish at our age is exceptionally hard and even if we could speak it, legally we still need a translator and the petition is as much about a request for regualtion of this service and more about customer care than a complaint of any kind.

Often or not people are frustrated that they cannot ask the simplest questions or get a reply without a costly translation and so many message boards are filled with stories of unhappy people , which is not good for Turkey as a holiday or retirement destination and I strongly hope that a small amount of customer care would negate many of these complaints.

In my own case I recently had to pay 90 YTL to have a 3 page letter to the council translated with regards to a water charge so before I have even begun to resolved the I am 90 YTL down, which to be frank I and many others cannot really afford to repeat so we either concede it is not worth pursuing a complaint or pay up when a local would not. I have a number of Turkish friends who have said they have resolved issues similar to mine just by visiting the Council, which I did try unsuccessfully and I am positive that had the council had a person who could translate at a decent level the matter may have been resolved at a lower level and saved both the council staff and I needless administration, frustration and resentment.

I have also had conversations with a number of people regarding translation services and the discrepancy in the price paid and quality is massive and as stated, most times the documents exchanged are probably not binding in law because they have not been notarised, yet the TAPU Office in particular will not speak to you without an interpreter being present and to have every document notarised on a pension is overly expensive.

I also believe that even if a free service is not possible, people would rather pay a regulated translator a set fee decided by the council and Tapu Office in the knowledge they know the procedures and that the service is consistent in quality and cost.

Thanks again for the replies as they help enlighten us to the law and difficulties, and please be assured that as, if and when we get enough signatures I will ensure that the petition is translated in to Turkish before handing it in.

Alec

victoriaw

Burocracy is the same in all countries, sometimes we dont realize that.
Can you talk to your embassy? This seems a big issue..

jelly

I think we have all been subjected to days where we have paid far too much to have something simple done because we could not speak the language here so trying to be as diplomatic and sensitive to Turkish nationality as I can I have just visited GoPetition and made a petition asking that the Belediye and Tapu Office provide a translator 2 mornings a week, which I hope to present to the mayor and Tapu Office is I can get about 1000 signatures:

I have not posted here enought to send links yet so if you are interested email me and I will forward the link

Regards

Alec

PS Comments on the petition would be greatly appreciated
there are registered translators available for english/foreign people to use and you have to have one anyway if you are foreign, so learning the language is a separate issue (but yes, I do agree we should all make the effort with this).

You just ask the belediye or tapu office to ring one of them for you - 5 mins later, in they come. We usually use Ayhan Kara (sp?), he is good and charges 70 lira. I won't sign it because the service is already there, but they are independent. Actually I'm not sure I would trust one employed by the tapu office or the belediye! lol

Latest Posts

Top Bottom