kaytee

transfers or taxis?
Hi All

Have booked a surprise 40th birthday trip for my other half in Jan to Istanbul for long weekend (can't wait). Have got the flights and hotel all booked and now need to think about transfers to get to/from hotel. We're staying in the Sultanahmet area. Are taxis available/reasonably priced to get from the airport? If so, what amount should I expect to pay? Or can I book transfers with a private company like I would in Altinkum..?
If so, any recommendations please?

Thanks for your help x

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
transfers or taxis?
Assuming that you're flying into Ataturk Airport, a taxi would be the quickest and not hugely expensive to the Sultanahmet District.

If you're arriving at Sabiha Gokcen Airport, you're better-off using one of the transfer companies like this one Sabiha Gokcen Airport Shuttle as the journey can take anywhere from 40 - 90 minutes depending on the time of day.

Turkey Travel Planner also gives you information on Taxis, Private Hire, Metro and other means of getting around Istanbul.

Taxis in Istanbul, Turkey Travel Planner

Last edited:
transfers or taxis?
From Ataturk the simplest way is by taxi from the terminal. The last time I did it to Sultanhamet it was around 50TL. I have also used the Havas shuttle bus but that only gets you to Taksim Square and then you've to hop a cab to Sultanhamet. As its a special "do" I'd blow the cash on a cab from Ataturk!

kaytee

transfers or taxis?
Thank you both very much - very helpful. Didn't even think about which airport it is that I booked - just got all excited and clicked "Istanbul"!
Will check which airport and have a look at those links to look at the best options.

Thanks again

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
transfers or taxis?
I haven't been to Istanbul myself yet but I read this tip in a travel/backpackers magazine (TNT) in London recently - may be of use to you.
re. Istanbul's Sabiha Gocken airport for public transport links see sgairport.com/havaalani/eng/start.asp. It is also easy to get to and from Istanbul using private transfers. There are several companies that offer this service. A regular shuttle costs from 10euro per person door to door. It's a much better service than the public transport provided from the airport (see sabihagokcenairportshuttle.com for more info).
I believe Sabiha Gocken is the Stansted equivalent and furhter out from the centre - EasyJet fly into there.
Your thread caught my attention as my birthday is in January and I keep thinking about a city break but it may be too cold for me then - hope it goes well and your surprise is not rumbled.
Regards Carol x

transfers or taxis?
Hi Kaytee
We did a four day break to Istanbul, staying in Sultanhamet area a few weeks ago. The hotel we booked into arranged our transfer from Sabiha Gokcen airport, maybe your hotel would do the same. We were picked up by minibus along with a few other people who were staying in different hotels and being dropped off along the way, all of us travelling independently. Anyway, no matter what way you do it, hope you have a wonderful time, we did, and hope to return again sometime soon.
Julie

transfers or taxis?
Hi

can any one recommend a hotel in Istanbul Sulthathamet a Boutique style one would be fine has any one stayed at one they liked planning 4 days November.

Many Thanks
Madeleine

mafalda

transfers or taxis?
I stayed at the Erguvan Hotel in Sultanahmet a couple of years ago (and for some reason I cannot seem to post the link to their website, try googling it), which is a few minutes walk from the Hippodrome and Blue Mosque, which I thought was pleasant - small, friendly and with some character. Also reasonably priced. Breakfast is served on the roof with a view over the rooftops. Have also heard good things of Alzer Hotel, which is situated right on the Hippodrome and opposite the Blue Mosque - from which you probably have a much better view while having breakfast...

A website I like and recommend is that of “Small Hotels of Turkey”, which lists “small, charming and truly extraordinary hotels” (they list Alzer Hotel, by the way). All hotels they list are mostly family run and have their own, distinct character.

Enjoy your stay!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom