Mirazz

Transfer from Airport to Hotel
Hi,

As some of you may know I am going to Istanbul in December. There is only myself and my 17 year old daughter, and although I am very much looking forward to it, I am a little bit nervous. Two females alone, busy city, never been before etc.

Anyway, I have booked the flight and hotel on Travel Republic. I contacted the hotel yesterday to ask if they had a transfer service from the airport (Ataturk). They replied today with a price of 40 Euros one way.

Is this expensive? I don't know Istanbul but I think it's a bit excessive. Could anyone tell me how much I should be looking to pay and/or any advice?

PS - I don't really want to use public transport late at night with just me and my daughter in a city we don't know, so it must be a private transfer - Miriam x

tazz

Hi Mirazz,
Sounds a bit dear. Try the following link, they are asking for 20 Euro one way to SultanAhmet area in December but charges may vary depending where exactly is your hotel.

www dot istanbulairporttransfer dot net/ayrinti dot php
Tazz

It might seem expensive but,at least, you know you will be safe. There are no buses or trains from Ataturk airport into the city, only taxis. They are well known for charging very high prices to foreigners and taking them to somewhere they didn't ask for eg their own/a relative's hotel.You will be able to rely on your transfer if you're staying at the hotel.Be very careful about what you wear in Istanbul. You may have been to beach resorts in Turkey where skimpy clothing is both appropriate and tolerated. But not in Istanbul, where you will find that lots of women are wearing the burka. It won't be hot in December so, hopefully, this won't be an issue. I would not recommend that you go out alone, even during the day. When my husband and I were in Istanbul last May I was on my own a few times and I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel. I was constantly being approached by Turkish men. I found it very frightening and threatening.I certainly wouldn't allow my 17 year old daughter out of my sight. But, having said all that, you'll love Istanbul. It's a wonderful place with lots to see.

Have you tried booking your transfers with travel republic, I have booked with them many times and never had any problems

Jane.

Mirazz

Thanks everyone.

Jane - yes I have looked at the transfer from Travel Republic. I always book through them and get my transfer too, but it just seems to be more for the resorty type of holiday they offer transfers.

Christine - yeah, I won't let her out of my sight for one minute. To be honest, the more I am hearing about Istanbul, the more frightened I am becoming. I so much want to go and see the sights but I am beginning to wish I hadn't booked. I think I am going to be too scared to go out of my hotel room :(

Carnsoreboxer

Carnsoreboxer
Havas - local airport bus, operate route from Istanbul airport to hotel - have used them both ways and always found them very good. They drop off at central points of the city and are not expensive

Ken & Lynda

Havas is good inexpensive, and picks up right outside the terminal building. Depending on what time you land, it can take up to 45minutes to get to Taxim.
Istanbul I would say on the whole is relatively safe and should pose no threat to lone female travellers. Stick to the touristy bits.

ChrisBobs

Dear Mirazz
you could ask your hotel why their transfer is so high compared to other transfers, -bargain a little ?, but in the end for your own piece of mind, its the best option- as they know how to get to the hotel! Cheaper option - havas, taxi, for the return to the airport.
At the end of December in Istanbul you and everyone else will be so rugged up with scarves and hats/ and jackets, burkaas and what not are scarcely an issue.
Dont worry yourself into being afraid, sure Istanbul is a challenge, but thats why it is so great,
Plan your time and you wont have time to be hassled.
Try for the first day a city tour- eg. City SightSeeing Istanbul
for instance, tho I dont think it will be open top at that time of the year ( haha)
but that sort of thing will let you orientate yourself, and meet other folks too.
Having a guide in Istanbul for some of the sights is well worth it.
So when you know where you are going and what you are doing, walk with a firm step, avoid eye contact ( look at shoulders), ignore chat and comment on streets, - things all women travellers know for anywhere in the world, and its a good time for your daughter to learn too.
I have had two lots of women visitors this year, who were both in Istanbul , one my sister and her friend and her daughter, and they loved it.

Mirazz

Dear Mirazz
you could ask your hotel why their transfer is so high compared to other transfers, -bargain a little ?

I did :) and they came back and offered it to me for 30 Euro's. So, I took that rather than mess around looking for something else. People are right, at least I have the peace of mind I will be going to the hotel I have asked for and be safe. Thanks for all the replies everybody - Miriam

TheTurk

I will bump this, maybe a bit late though.

Mirazz, i do not find this expensive even in a cheap city like Istanbul (Cheap for the people that live here :p)

As everyone said there isnt any public transportation except for Taxi's, even if there were if i was a woman i wouldnt trust to get on them! You cant put a price on the safety, well at least safety from the people, Istanbul traffic is a pain in the you know what :)

Anyway hope you and your daughter have/had fun (Dont know if you're already here or are still coming or have already left) Beyoğlu is one of those nice places but i wouldnt let my 17 year old daughter out alone, knowing Istanbul :p

Freshness

Hi,

As some of you may know I am going to Istanbul in December. There is only myself and my 17 year old daughter, and although I am very much looking forward to it, I am a little bit nervous. Two females alone, busy city, never been before etc.

Anyway, I have booked the flight and hotel on Travel Republic. I contacted the hotel yesterday to ask if they had a transfer service from the airport (Ataturk). They replied today with a price of 40 Euros one way.

Is this expensive? I don't know Istanbul but I think it's a bit excessive. Could anyone tell me how much I should be looking to pay and/or any advice?

PS - I don't really want to use public transport late at night with just me and my daughter in a city we don't know, so it must be a private transfer - Miriam x
Dear Mirazz,
We dont have any idea how far is your hotel to airport, because Istanbul is a very big metropol, but it looks a little expensive comparing to other services.
-You can use Havas bus service, its quite safe and scheduled bus service and it costs much cheaper like 5-6 euro for person.
-You can use taxi, its costs nearly 0.6 euro for each kilometer.
-You can go downstair of airport and use metro and reach to many point of city. Its safe at least I have used it many times in night time and nothing happened
If you find Istanbul expensive, I cant imagine what you would think if you visit Tokyo, Japan :D

Last edited:

Mirazz

Hello everyone - I'm back.

Well, after all the palava about the transfer they didn't show up!!! I called the hotel from the airport and they said they had no record of me ever requesting a transfer. Good job I had all the paperwork (copy e-mails) with me. So, I had to jump in a taxi anyway after all that which cost me 35 tl. Not bad considering the hotel were going to charge me 30 Euros. Anyway, I had my say when I got there and the lady who arranged the transfer etc. came to see me the next day. She apologised and said she would arrange my transfer back to the airport for free.

I think Istanbul was the most expensive place I have ever been. It was costing me 13 tl for a glass of wine and 4-5 tl for a fanta or sprite. Taxi's I think were the cheapest thing there. Think I was ripped off once of twice in restaurants etc. but couldn't be bothered to argue the toss.

I enjoyed it, but to be honest I think I was there too long. I was there 8 days and I feel that once you have seen the sights, well, you've seen them. Not much for me and my daughter to do at night except eat.

I was very very lucky getting home. Manchester airport was closed the day before we flew home and our plane was only delayed 3 hours - fab considering. So, we got this mega big plane home with the day befores people on too.

I drove to Manchester the day before we flew and stopped over at the Hilton. Got a great deal there, overnight accommodation, 15 days parking, transfer to-from airport all for £79. The day before we left my dad rang and told me he had booked a train from Manchester to meet me and drive me back to Newcastle becasue he was so worried. I am 43 years old and driving for 26 years and he was still worried about me driving home (bless!!). Glad he did though, the driving was horrendous and if it had of been left to me I would have booked into the Hilton for another night and waited. So - cheers Dad.

Anyway back to Istanbul. The weather was cold but warmer than here. Thundered and lightened for one night and rained for one day (just happened to be the day we had decided to get on the open top bus). That's a great trip, I recommend it. So, glad I went and saw the things I wanted to see.

Lucy was really ill with this bad chest/flu thing going round. I had it all over the Christmas but she got it over there. I went to the Spice Market and got some herbal stuff, I went to the chemist and got medicine, I gave her stuff I had taken but nothing worked. In the end I just went and bought some antibiotics over the counter and it was getting better within days. The Spice Market is great, as is the Grand Bazaar.

Oh, we spent New Years Eve on the Bosphorous. It cost 100 Euro per person and we had a nice meal and all the drink we wanted. There were 160 on the boat and we were the only English people on it. We met 2 American girls the night before and they were on the boat too so sat with them. It was good, a night to remember. If I knew how to upload a photo on my message I would but I'm a bit thick like that.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

ChrisBobs

New Year on the Bosphorous! Sounds fantastic and memorable!
Thanks Miraz for coming back with the tale of your travels- yes ole IST can be expensive, but you can pay the same for a glass of wine in Bodrum too !
Cheers and a late Happy New Year to you too!
C

Freshness

Hello everyone - I'm back.

Well, after all the palava about the transfer they didn't show up!!! I called the hotel from the airport and they said they had no record of me ever requesting a transfer. Good job I had all the paperwork (copy e-mails) with me. So, I had to jump in a taxi anyway after all that which cost me 35 tl. Not bad considering the hotel were going to charge me 30 Euros. Anyway, I had my say when I got there and the lady who arranged the transfer etc. came to see me the next day. She apologised and said she would arrange my transfer back to the airport for free.

I think Istanbul was the most expensive place I have ever been. It was costing me 13 tl for a glass of wine and 4-5 tl for a fanta or sprite. Taxi's I think were the cheapest thing there. Think I was ripped off once of twice in restaurants etc. but couldn't be bothered to argue the toss.

I enjoyed it, but to be honest I think I was there too long. I was there 8 days and I feel that once you have seen the sights, well, you've seen them. Not much for me and my daughter to do at night except eat.

I was very very lucky getting home. Manchester airport was closed the day before we flew home and our plane was only delayed 3 hours - fab considering. So, we got this mega big plane home with the day befores people on too.

I drove to Manchester the day before we flew and stopped over at the Hilton. Got a great deal there, overnight accommodation, 15 days parking, transfer to-from airport all for £79. The day before we left my dad rang and told me he had booked a train from Manchester to meet me and drive me back to Newcastle becasue he was so worried. I am 43 years old and driving for 26 years and he was still worried about me driving home (bless!!). Glad he did though, the driving was horrendous and if it had of been left to me I would have booked into the Hilton for another night and waited. So - cheers Dad.

Anyway back to Istanbul. The weather was cold but warmer than here. Thundered and lightened for one night and rained for one day (just happened to be the day we had decided to get on the open top bus). That's a great trip, I recommend it. So, glad I went and saw the things I wanted to see.

Oh, we spent New Years Eve on the Bosphorous. It cost 100 Euro per person and we had a nice meal and all the drink we wanted. There were 160 on the boat and we were the only English people on it. We met 2 American girls the night before and they were on the boat too so sat with them. It was good, a night to remember. If I knew how to upload a photo on my message I would but I'm a bit thick like that.

Thanks everyone.
Restaurants and nightlife is expensive in Istanbul, I agree about that. But if you go local restaurants it wont be so expensive. I dont know why but, the restaurants which serves alchol are generally expensive. If you buy Fanta Cola or Wine from store like Migros, Carrefour, they are so cheap. But restaurants are expensive all over the world.
There are some cheap restaurants but it depends on location.
There are more expensive cities in the world like Tokyo and New York. I hate New York taxi drivers, they insist and they want %10 tip! Thats discusting

Mirazz

Yes everything is cheaper in a store but I like to have a drink or two when I am out in a pub, club, restaurant and I do think the price they were charging was excessive. I like Turkish food and was so looking forward to going to one of those little restaurants where you choose your food from the selection in the window. I ordered 2 cans of fanta, 2 portions of rice, 1 portion of meatballs and 1 portion of aubaugine and lentils. It came to a grand total of 54 lira - no breakdown, nothing, just a piece of paper with 54 lira written on. The place was full of Turkish people so I didn't have the confidence to speak up but was quite upset about it.

Thanks ChrisBobs, happy belated new year to you too and everyone else of the forum - Miriam

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Just caught up with your post on your stay in Istanbul Mirazz, sounds like you had a good time, but some of the prices are quite expensive aren't they, but suppose it's like The big city so they can and will do, sad to hear you got ripped off though. We only stayed for 2 days and I would have liked a bit longer, but you thought 8 days was too much, maybe if we ever go back a 4 day mini break would be good.

Belated Happy New Year, and hope you have a great New Year.

Mirazz

I hope I've done this right.

Attachments

• CIMG0589.jpg
    CIMG0589.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 25

Latest Posts

Top Bottom