zozatky

Traffic Fines.
Our freind went to the tax office to pay her 2010 car tax which was around 230lt. She was stunned to receive a bill for 342 tl. It turned out that this amount was made up of 230 car tax a 52 tl penalty & 62 tl interest/fine for late payment. Apparently the offence was committed in 2007 but the trafic police had only just given the info to the tax office. Our freind had never been told she had a fine to pay but still had to pay the fine & the interest before she could pay her car tax. when we spoke to Turkish freinds about this they said this is normal & you just have to pay. the lady in the tax office said it can take upto 3 years for the police to send them charges & they just have to be paid along with the late payment costs! It seems crazy that you have to pay a late payment fee for something that you were not told about in the first place & that they cant tell you what the penalty was for.

Traffic Fines.
but if the lady committed the offence that led to her fine why didnt she go and pay it...or was she hoping it would be forgotten?

zozatky

Traffic Fines.
but if the lady committed the offence that led to her fine why didnt she go and pay it...or was she hoping it would be forgotten?

Because she was never told she had commited an offence ie no ticket on the car not stoped by the police & nothing recived in the post.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Traffic Fines.
This is a regular occurrence at tax time. What's usually happened is that the vehicle has been clocked in a speed trap or by a red-light camera at traffic-lights. It comes as a bit of a shock to motorists to find that they've been caught.

The Maliye should issue a receipt for the fine that's been paid and there'll be a reference number on it that refers to the crime committed. If you really want to know what it's all about you can go to the Trafik Polis / Trafik Jandarma and they'll look it up on their system and tell you when and where the offence was committed.

They don't send out notices of intended prosecution like in the UK. However, if it's a serious offence they'll come knocking on your door.

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Traffic Fines.
It's a bit unusual for there to be such a delay but it's possible for there to be a few days delay in the system

Theoretically I suppose, you could commit an offence in December or January that won't be processed before 31st January. When you tax your vehicle in January it won't show-up, but when you go to do the tax again in July you'll get hit by it.

If a hire car is caught there's always the possibility that the hire company will still have your credit card details and could still pass the cost onto you. I suppose it's a chance that they have to take when hiring out vehicles.

Last edited:
Traffic Fines.
It's a bit unusual for there to be such a delay but it's possible for there to be a few days delay in the system

Theoretically I suppose, you could commit an offence in December or January that won't be processed before 31st January. When you tax your vehicle in January it won't show-up, but when you go to do the tax again in July you'll hit by it.

If a hire car is caught there's always the possibility that the hire company will still have your credit card details and could still pass the cost onto you. I suppose it's a chance that they have to take when hiring out vehicles.

We had the road tax problem when we bought our first vehicle. The debt doen't show until march.

Traffic Fines.
we got a parking ticket a couple of months ago and when my partner went to go and pay it they said we had to pay another 180 lira !!! my partner asked why they said probably speeding fine but wouldnt be able to tell us when it was so we had to pay that aswell even though i knew we didnt owe any speeding fines,when they printed the receipt it told us when the fine was and we had already payed it,thankfully i had kept all receipts and my partner took the receipt back down there and made a fuss and eventually they agreed to give it to us back

perfect1949

i just love my clique
Traffic Fines.
2 years ago, i whent to the tax office to get my clear paper so i could get the mot, and they would not give it me until i paid the fine . the fine was just 1 tl still dont no what it was for

ChrisBobs

Traffic Fines.

I was in a car rental office late October last year when they were doing some MOT preparation - there was a massive accumulated fine 3 years old on a car they wanted to sell, and they were going back through the records and found the credit card and name of the person who had rented......they asked him to pay!

gren

Traffic Fines.
I was in a car rental office late October last year when they were doing some MOT preparation - there was a massive accumulated fine 3 years old on a car they wanted to sell, and they were going back through the records and found the credit card and name of the person who had rented......they asked him to pay!

Was the fine for speeding in that hire car?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom