no-nem

Traffic accidents/haunted
I know all about the rules pertaining to a car accident here...not moving vehicles etc, but can anybody enlighten me on accidents where people get knocked over for instance....The main question being, are you allowed to render assistance to a person in the road who has been knocked down for instance. I am a first aider, and a scene still haunts me of an accident that had happened some weeks ago now coming back from Antalya where a pedestrian had been knocked down, and the usual crowd had gathered, but only had a man standing by the patient lying in the road and he appeared just to be looking down on the person who was moving and alive. I feel I should have stopped, and assisted with 1st aid, but I learned rightly or wrongly, that this is not done, which to me sounds complete b******s. Does anybody know the correct procedure in case I come across this sort of unfortunate incident again?

patrish

i have been told the same as you.just call for ambulance.I know how you feel just doing nothing as i was a nurse

no-nem

It just seems so f****** crazy, that someone could possibly die because no body was allowed to intervene at the scene....please someone tell me this is not true.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Even when a Trafik Polis officer wearing a first-aid badge turned up before the ambulance at an accident in Fethiye, he wouldn't touch the victim. Just waited for the paramedics.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Judging by the times İ have watched the news and seen items about folks dying on the road cos the ambulance took so long to turn up İ would say it must be true. But if İ knew how to save someone's life İ would just muscle in and worry about the consequences later. Maybe it is there to protect victims from administrations from people who don't really have a clue and do more harm than good.

Years ago ambulances were a luxury not affordable to all and it would be the norm to bundle a traffic crash victim into a car to get him to the emergency room which used to make me cringe in case they should not be moved at all!! Don't even start me on the hospitals themselves and blood covered people on trolleys waiting to be seen. İ hope things have improved since İ last saw such a sight a few years ago :(

madbird85

If that was me at the scene of an accident then i would not hesitate to try and help someone save there life
why do they teach and qualify people to be a first aider if we cant use are skill? :eyeye:

madbird85

hi germaine, i am only qualified in england but you would think that you could use you qualification anywhere!!!!

JoanH

JoanH
If you took first aid certficate or refresher training recently it should be to EC standards. Just check your certificate.

martin m

Hi all
I would imagine that because of the worry of someone suing you because you tried to save someones life,ie someone is lying badly hurt in the road after being hit by a car, you come along with limited first aid training( which is more than i have) you make a effort to save the them before the ambulance arrives, but just by moving him slightly you are responsible for him never walking again, even though he does survive his family sue you because they where there but did not know what to do.
It is the worst case senario but we have the USA to thank for this culture which seems to have spread just about worldwide, thats why no one wants to get involved anymore.
only my opinion
martin

if the casualty is breathing, not choking on vomit, and is not hemorrhaging then it is best to just keep an eye on things once help has been sent for...if they have internal injuries there's nothing you can do at the scene anyway.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom