bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
Touristic Bars handed over to RELIGIOUS body

Alacati a popular tourist town on the Agean coast outside Izmir has had its entertainment area with bars and restaurants taken off the Izmir governors office and given the control to The Religious Affairs Directorate (diyanet ).

The move has caused a outcry over the alleged attempt to" impose a certain life style " and warning that it could effect tourism.

Cesme municipality said its normal practice to give the bars an restaurants to the local authorities when requested. And not a religious body.

The CHP say its attack on their stronghold municipalities on the coast.

They have already arranged for the beaches in OLUDENIZ, and DALYAN to be taken off the the local municipalities and to be given to private companies.

:speaknoev

Last edited:

oldfogy

Just passing through
Ok, but basically what does that do or mean to or for tourists?

Seriously, there will be other people like myself who do not get involved in Turkey's politics so truly do not know or understand what difference it makes.

I mean lets face it, it's hardly unlikely they are going to close down the bars etc as that would just be suicide and no-one is that stupid! are they?

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
It depends what the Religious body decide to do with the control when its transferred to them.
We are in new territory now, and why have they done this . This is why The Mayor, bar restaurant owners and customers are causing a outcry. They don't want it to change their lifestyle.

As for the beaches in Olu deniz and Dalyan when their sold to private companies again we have to its wait and see.

Last edited:
C

ChristineP

Hmmm...double ayran and a çay chaser for me lütfen!

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Hello , is that the Greek tourist authority ? Yes

This is Turkish tourism calling , Hello

We need to export our western holidaymaker business , Yes

We have put our hotel / restaurant / bar busines under the directorship of the Religious affairs Directorate , big intake of breath , Praise be to Allah

You couldn't make it up if you tried.

Steve.

teosgirl

It's about intimidation, breaking up the atmosphere and dispersing the existing crowds.
You have to know Alacati to really understand what this means. The season there is short and the tourists come mostly from Istanbul. The town literally becomes little Istanbul in the summer, with lots of high end shops and restaurants.
If 22 businesses have been put under the control of the Diyanet (these include the church and shops) then they have an opportunity to change the flow and pace of the lively town centre. Some initial fears include the possibility of importing conservative business types, who could then harass the locals, selling Islamic goods (who knows what? women's headscarf/clothing, books etc) which will reduce the number of restaurants and break the feel of night-life along the main streets, which is basically one group of party people after another. Also, Alacati is extremely expensive, both in terms of rents and retail - this will almost certainly damage the value to any businesses. The types who visit Alacati come for a good time, not to be reminded of their lack of modesty or religiosity.

Charlotte

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
What I find strange is why in Denizli where the municipality is AKP the properties there were given to that municipality to control as is the norm.
Is there some reason a secular municipality cant do the control in Alacati . Especially in a area as Teosgirl says were the people from Istanbul/ Izmir come to let their hair down and just enjoy being TOURISTS .

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
The mayor of Alacati is taking the ruling to the courts one on behalf of the double standard being applied and one on behalf of the Belediye staff who supposedly would by transferred to the Religious body (DIYANET).

But in reality the staff would be changed as happens when a new of political party takes over a belediye. a slow change or transfer of staff closer to the Diyanet would be employed. This would be who you would then apply for restaurant & bar licenses. .

dstearn

Bars handed over to religious authority!

Just noticed this was a duplicate post so tried to delete

Last edited:

blackeyes

What I find strange is why in Denizli where the municipality is AKP the properties there were given to that municipality to control as is the norm.
Is there some reason a secular municipality cant do the control in Alacati . Especially in a area as Teosgirl says were the people from Istanbul/ Izmir come to let their hair down and just enjoy being TOURISTS .

This is because AK party have the power and would not want to upset the people who voted for them, unlike MUGLA so now we will pay for not voting for them..Normal
About 5 years ago, after the voting, Mugla again voted for CHP, very evening for about a month during the season, all the electric was switched off causing all sorts of peoples with restaurants and bars, was right at peak time.. That was their payment for not voting for them..

teosgirl

Alaçat??ya büyük ?ok! | ?zmirim.co

The religious affairs directorate (sunni Islam directorate) has taken control of 1 hotel, 24 shops and 80 arts and crafts centres in Alacati.

Considering the Religious Directorate issues fatwa's against things such as tattoos and men wearing earrings, I wonder how this will effect the types of businesses allowed on the premises. Obviously no alcohol drinks licensing will be granted for these establishments.

Charlotte

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
I think its the outcome that was expected with the transfer of these properties to the Religious Directorate ( Diyanet ) .

Whilst I defend blame normally heaped on Islam as a religion .
I will always denounce Political Islam the type practised by Erdogan the AKP and their likes . I don't think a lifestyle should be forced on anyone and your religion should be a personal private matter and practised as such .

I think this is another inroad into personal choice, and as the person said in the article it is a dagger blow to the heart of Alacati tourism, with a forecasted drop of 25% in revenue if not more . Especially if the green area is taken away and the Usual festival is cancelled.

It also looks like there will be a loss in jobs and with Turkeys jobless figure running a 9.9 (and that is the official massaged figures) they could do without this .

It will be a blow to the moderate freethinking muslims/non muslims of Izmir
who enjoy the area to get away from the working life. A damper will be put on the Keyif of the " raki and fish set" ,which is a pity as its as much the culture of Turkey as anything .

Latest Posts

Top Bottom