Status
Not open for further replies.

parrot

Touchy
I am reading on various threads where some people are getting a bit touchy,at what I see as some rather inocuous posts.I stated on one where I felt political correctness is creaping in,I am sure that if there were any insulting,racist or for that matter homophobic posts,the moderators would be the first to jump in and stamp it out.We don't need members getting annoyed at a post just because they don't agree with it,they have the option to put there view in writing,we also don't need the P.C. police,we have enough of that in the Police force in particular and Britain in general

dawn

Touchy
i couldnt agree more ,why do people on here get so touchy? on the whole this is a great forum but i do find the bickering anoying .
Dawn

Guz1

Touchy
Hi Parrot and Dawn,
Think you are referring to me. I'm new to this forum and I am finding the members very helpful and friendly, but I think it's a bit unfair to be labelled touchy or PC police because I voiced an opinion about a post that struck me as being in poor taste. I'm not normally touchy and generally I don't get involved in bickering. I have seen some "Irish" jokes on this forum and haven't taken exception to them. They could just as easily be Welsh, Scottish, English, German, etc. jokes that use perceived national idiosyncracies for a little amusement.

The joke I didn't like referred to illegal immigrants and terrorists. There is nothing funny about people being so desperate to escape poverty that they will leave their loved ones to move to a foreign country, expose themselves to exploitation by people trafficers and unscrupulous employers, live the rest of their working lives at little more than subsistence level whilst being unable to trust their neighbours for fear of being reported to the authorities. To make them the butt of a joke that lumps them in with terrorists and suggests that they be monitored by a system used for tracking animals is a step to far.

Is that justified because it was posted in the "Clean Jokes" section? I think not and I said so, but I wouldn't make a personal judgement on the character of anyone who disagrees with me.

tonytg

Wishing on a star
Touchy
I am touchy (and not the PC variation! ) that we pay taxes so that the immigration department fails miserably in stopping/deporting all these 'desperate' economic immigrants getting into the UK. After all the genuinely persecuted will always be given a place here, but what is the point of a department that does not work and lies (or is it untruths !) to cover up its failures. We already pay far too much tax !

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Touchy
Everyone has a different way to deal with issues, some are more touchy then others, some just ignore stuff they don't like others like to make a stand and tell people that they don't like it.

There is no harm in it as long as people are respectful they can argue and put their point across.

parrot

Touchy
Must admit Guz1,I do like a good Irish joke,it also leaves us Scots alone,well Scot of Irish ancestors. :4:

CATH

Touchy
mushtaq said:
Everyone has a different way to deal with issues, some are more touchy then others, some just ignore stuff they don't like others like to make a stand and tell people that they don't like it.

There is no harm in it as long as people are respectful they can argue and put their point across.
Yes some people like to make a stand and tell the truth BUT THE TRUTH HURTS wheather they listen to the truth is another matter :27:

Guz1

Touchy
Tony, we are having the same experience in Ireland. Of course I get annoyed when I visit the GP and have to queue behind what seems like the united nations knowing that I'm probably the only one who will have to pay for the consultation and probably the only one paying taxes. Same with our hospitals. And I wouldn't attempt to buy a postage stamp in the post office on benefits day. The elderly in our community who endured hard times and whose contributions funded our health and social welfare systems are being treated disgracefully, too. One day I had to call to our local health centre on behalf of an elderly relative who hadn't received a visit from the District Nurse for nearly a year and the place was choc-a-bloc with foreign women and their babies. They were attending bread-feeding classes! Of course I was annoyed. But most of them are legal immigrants.

Not all genuine cases make it through the system, either. We had a case here recently where a woman caught carrying drugs into the country applied for assylum at the end of her jail sentence on the grounds that the drug barons would murder her if she went back to her country of origin. She was allowed stay while at the same time they deported a woman who had lived here quietly and hadn't broken any laws.

There are loads of injustices in the system and as many people exploiting the system, but I believe that it is wrong to tar all immigrants with the same brush and equally wrong to reduce human beings to the level of animals.

I'm sorry for pontificating about this, but I see racism raising its ugly head at home. That frightens me, and I truly believe that racism must be nipped in the bud wherever and however it manifests itself.

dawn

Touchy
Guz1 i really didnt have anyone in mind when i said people are touchy on here i just meant people in general .

iam normaly one of the people that looks but dosent comment if things i see offend me or i disagree,i think iam going to stay that way in future lol.
Dawn

Guz1

Touchy
Dawn: Please don't let this stop you putting in your tuppence worth. You have been a member of this forum far longer than I and I would hate to think that anything I have said would discourage you from having your say. You are entitled to express your opinions and I'm sure one day we'll all meet up and have a drink and a laugh about this. Truly, I'm not into bickering about petty issues but have to admit that usually I can hold my own in an argument. I just say what I have to say whilst trying not to offend anyone and I like to hear the opinions of others. I believe that we can only form balanced judgements by listening to various arguments.

Parrot: Over here they are usually English or Scottish jokes. I grew up hearing children's jokes about Paddy the Irishman, Paddy the Englishman and Paddy the Scotsman. Paddy the Englishman was usually stupid, Paddy the Scotsman mean, and Paddy the Irishman always came out on top. How's that for stereotyping?

Let's all be friends while agreeing to disagree about some things. Peace?????

CATH

Touchy
dawn said:
Guz1 i really didnt have anyone in mind when i said people are touchy on here i just meant people in general .

iam normaly one of the people that looks but dosent comment if things i see offend me or i disagree,i think iam going to stay that way in future lol.
Da
Dawn i agree with you i am one of those people who dosent comment if things i see offend me but when i felt strongly about a topic i did never again it seems some people on here are allowed to offend others not topic closed if you tell the truth
and as to be called gullable by a moderator well that offends me
all i can say is the truth hurts and you wont get it on this forum only
END OF STORY

CATH

Touchy
mushtaq said:

There is no harm in it as long as people are respectful they can argue and put their point across.[/QU

Dont agree with you Mushtag not everybody is allowed to make a stand and argue

lewismark

Just a member
Touchy
mushtaq said:

Then please if this is the case, can it be put up on this forum for all to see why the topic "RIPPED OFF IN TURKEY" was closed, there was no personal attack or disrespect made to any individual, it is a very valid topic which can be kept on track by the moderators,
Peoples experiences and advise is what this forum is for.

I think calling Cath gullible is offensive and agree with all she has said.

Acamas

Just a member
Touchy
The cry of "PC" is the refuge of scoundrels and ner' do wells.

If people have a genuine difference then let's hear a well reasoned and respectful response. The true exchange of ideas is to be encouraged...

lewismark

Just a member
Touchy
parrot said:
P.C.rules again :27:
It looks as though these PC rules will get the better of this forum then in time,

Tomorrow is another day but the PC rules will always be here then to stop you saying it as it is or from telling the truth. but WHY???
Case of if your face doesn't fit, or you are too direct and to the point you will have your post pulled apart, someone always knows better than you on here by the feel of things, and PM the moderators to tell them they dont like that topic.

Last edited:
Touchy
there is an element creeping into this forum that wasnt there before.....and thats all i will say. read over the posts folks and see how petty they are...theyre about nothing

CATH

Touchy
shirleyanntr said:
there is an element creeping into this forum that wasnt there before.....and thats all i will say. read over the posts folks and see how petty they are...theyre about nothing
NOT PETTY BUT FACT :27:

lewismark

Just a member
Touchy
CATH said:
NOT PETTY BUT FACT :27:

When Cath says BUT "Fact" I think she is refering to the content refering to experiences and the "PETTY" refers to the PC and the "I know more than you attitude" and sarcasam that some members reply with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom