ted j

Touchpad too sensitive
The lappy I got has a touchpad that is just too sensitive , scrolling is enabled, two finger scrolling likewise and tap to click also
The problem is it is slightly over sensitive....when gently moving over the touchpad it will automatically either highlight text or click on links etc, while you are just moving the mouse

The actual touchpad is listed in device manager as "PS2 Compatible mouse" and there is no option to adjust the sensitivity, so I uninstalled that and downloaded Synaptics touchpad drivers ......at the tail end of that installing, it asks to restart the compter , so I did that BUT windows automatically dived in and reinstalled the ps2 mouse

Not to be outdone (or so I thought), I read how to disable automatic driver downloads ...The first bit is easy, just click a few buttons , then go to the start menu and type in GPEDIT.MSC.....(I have done this before on the old lappy, so know what to do)..............slight problem, nothing shows up!

It seems Microsoft in their wisdom, decided that the home premium version of windows won't let you alter the registry editor (the old lappy has windows 7 ultimate) and apparently there isn't any option that I can find to "put" GPEDIT in the registry (everything worked until I got to highlighting the third non existant registry entry key)

This means that now, when I uninstall the ps2 mouse and install the synaptics driver, it works BUT the advanced options do not show up (according to synaptics that is because their driver still thinks it has installed over the ps2 mouse ), so I'd be grateful of any advice on how to complete the second part of disabling automatic updates

What I could then do, is uninstall the drivers, restart and then do a clean install of the synaptics driver which then should have advanced options for adjusting the sensitivity

Last edited:

ted j

Touchpad too sensitive
Tried that yesterday Norman .....doesn't work
I can download the zipped file and download the application but trying to do the second part, while I have the first 2 entries, I still do not have gpedit.msc to plonk in the 32 folder
I have scrutinised that folder and believe me it's not in there

Latest Posts

Top Bottom