martin m

too skint to train TA
Hi all
Well if ever i needed proof that this country (uk) is on its knees then i now have it, i have just recieved a e,mail from the riflemans association (ex royal green jacket) asking me to sign a petition because the goverment have banned all drill hall training and millitary exercises for the whole of the territorial army, for a period of 6 months.
What kind of message does that send out to the whole of the nation, sorry everyone but cant train the army no money left.
martin

Harem

I've cliqued
too skint to train TA
Speechless. I know what I want to say, but can't find the words to express myself eloquently.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
too skint to train TA
Hi all
Well if ever i needed proof that this country (uk) is on its knees then i now have it, i have just recieved a e,mail from the riflemans association (ex royal green jacket) asking me to sign a petition because the goverment have banned all drill hall training and millitary exercises for the whole of the territorial army, for a period of 6 months.
What kind of message does that send out to the whole of the nation, sorry everyone but cant train the army no money left.
martin

Sorry mate, can,t waste money on deserving causes, too many wasters coming in the country who need hand outs.

too skint to train TA
Mr Martin sir,
I'll bet you a billion that the government has not "banned all drill hall training......" whatever you said.
Please, please please stop reading that trash newspaper.

martin m

too skint to train TA
Hi Mr long
Because it was a private e,mail i was not going to post a link but on reflection its a great idea because any one feeling inclined to do so may sign the petition.
now weres that billion,lol and no mention of my favorite newspaper.
Government restricts TA Training to Recruits and Pre-ops only
Sunday, 25 October, 2009 17:01:56From: "membersdatabase@royalgreenjackets.co.uk" <membersdatabase@royalgreenjackets.co.uk>View

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Fellow Riflemen,

"The Government has ordered the Territorial Army (TA) to stop all drill-hall instruction, weekend exercises and other training for six months.

Each year, the Territorial Army provides 1,200 troops to serve in places like Afghanistan, Iraq and the Balkans. While Britain is at war in Afghanistan, it is both misguided and wrong to stop all training for the TA's 35,000 members.

This is not the right way for the Government to make a financial saving."

Please support this petition by signing at

Petition to: abandon the six-month halt to training in the Territorial Army. | Number10.gov.uk
martin

Last edited:
too skint to train TA
My friends daughter is in the TA and will not attend any training for a time, she played in the TA Band and that has been dismantled too.

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to
too skint to train TA
Mr Martin sir,
I'll bet you a billion that the government has not "banned all drill hall training......" whatever you said.
Please, please please stop reading that trash newspaper.

How very condescending of you to another member and what "high brow" newspapers do you read, as most papers covered the same story

too skint to train TA
This is about all I could find on the subject....

The Times of London reported Saturday that weekend exercises and other training for the Territorial Army, the largest of Britain’s reserve forces, will stop temporarily. The decision is expected to save 20 million pounds (US$32 million).

Defense officials refused to confirm the report. But they acknowledged tight budgets will affect the voluntary force — and every other part of the military — and that many cuts are under consideration. Britain’s military said that, like all government departments, it must live within its means. Defense officials say their priority is operations in Afghanistan.

Can you see a difference between "banned" and "will stop temporarily"? I can. "Sun" and "Times"

mike dj

too skint to train TA
Read Times on line headline 'TA army told to stop training for six months to save money ' told, stopped ,banned all ends up the same ,no training. Mike

too skint to train TA
Doesn't "Banned" suggest that it is a punishable offense? It's sensationalist reporting and bound to get more attention than anything to do with cost-cutting.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
too skint to train TA
Doesn't "Banned" suggest that it is a punishable offense? It's sensationalist reporting and bound to get more attention than anything to do with cost-cutting.

I always thought disobeying an order was a punishable offence in the military,

martin

Fendouglas

Gangless!
too skint to train TA
Having been involved with TA Training (in a former life), it is a common occurrence for TA training to be 'suspended' once the 'Man Training Day' budget has been exceeded. The fact that MTDs are squandered on duties like Stewarding at Wimbledon, Horse of the Year show, Edinburgh Tattoo etc only impacts on Class 1 (warfighting) Training.

For the Government to say that £20m is to be saved is a mockery in view of the overall defence budget.

Of major concern, however, is the fact that a lot of TA Soldiers regard their service as a second income - culminating in an Annual Training Bounty. Should they not be allowed to complete the necesary mandatory training, they may not qualify for this Bounty (which often pays for the family holiday etc) and the impact on recruiting and retention could cause great embarrassment in that the Regular Army will not receive the level of logistic support it needs to keep fighting the stupid conflicts, in which Bush, Blair & Brown have got us embroiled.

This is, of course, symptomatic, of Labour's history of Government - in that, it is unlikely that they will win the next election and any mischief that they can sow now, can be used to embarrass the Govenment which has to inherit their mess!

carolk

R.I.P
too skint to train TA

Dwight, either they are stopping it or they aren't! It doesn't matter which paper you read it in or the wording, you yourself could be accused of word play here. If they cant afford to train them any more and, its a cost cutting exercise then I would say it doesn't matter how you word it - its a fact!!!!

As I think you are a writer yourself, you know how to put what ever slant you want on things.

too skint to train TA
Well, I must concede that I'm being pedantic. Sorry guys.
Personally I'm all for cost cutting even though I don't pay tax. I wish they'd up my pension as a result though; especially as the ministry of defense is now much more a ministry of attack than defense.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom