todays word is gitmek..to go
Gitmek is a must learn word..and one of the easiest to get to grips with..and a good aid in understanding past present and future tenses and some suffixes…and some mutations…
(’oof ya!!..as a Turk would say when exasperated)
Also when you first start learning and are coming or living in Turkey .its a word you will want to use quite often…its a good one to use in conversation and for practice.
Although the verb stem is GİT..in the present and future tense (and some other forms) it changes to GİD
İn the present tense use it like this
‘Ben gidiyorum’…i am going.
gidiyorsun...you are going....gidiyor..he/she/it is going....gidiyoruz..we are going..gidiyorsunuz...you are going (plural)gidiyorlar...they are going
İts an E vowel group so the vowels are dotted.
But you may wonder why the end part…UM..is undotted?
İyor..is the present tense indicator…..i..yor…the İ is subject to vowel harmony….but the YOR part is always the same….undotted O..therefore is followed by undotted U..+ the personal pronoun…in this case M…1st person singular.
‘Siz nereye gidiyorsunuz?’…sunuz…you...2nd person plural
‘Where are you going?’
‘Biz Alanyaya gidiyoruz’..we are going to Alanya’…Alanya.+YA…to Alanya
‘Ben Alanyaya gitmek istiyorum’…..i want to go to Alanya
‘MahmutlarA gitmek istiyorum’ you must always really pronounce the last letter or word ending to give the meaning…...in english we dont always do this…in turkish its the first essential thing to get used to.
Mahmutlar+A…as it ends in a consonant it doesnt need a buffer letter…as does Alanya….
two vowels cant be together so AlanyaYa...Y is the buffer.
As we noted before the GİT is GİD in the present tense.
BUT…nothing is that simple in turkish….in the negative form it again becomes GİT..like this;
‘Ben gitmiyorum’..i am not going…git..M iyor..um….stress the .Git before the negative M
GİT ...M..iyor..um….its not too bad really!
When you use these words the sounds and feel of them will begin to make sense…and the sound .. with practice will become natural…….i promise!!!!
‘Birkaç gün sonra MarmarisA gideceğim’
‘A few days later i will go to Marmaris’
‘MarmarisA gitmeyeceksin’…don’t go to Marmaris.
Git..ME..Y..ecek..sin…….Git.+…Me…negative sign…+Y buffer + ecek…the future sign ..+sin personal pronoun….the Y buffer is needed to separate the vowels
‘Git…meli…yim’….i must go.
...meli..added to a verb stem gives the meaning of ‘must’
Git..meli...Y..buffer..im….
‘Sen gitmeli…misin? Must you go?
Here is a past tense example
‘İngiltereye gittim’..i went to England..ingiltere.YE..to england.
As usual i hope this is ok….i know its very basic…but its the basics that will lift you up and get you going.
Have fun

Latest Posts

Top Bottom