todays word is another story
Nasrettin Hoca'nın şakası
here is another little tale from Nasrettin Hoca...this one is quite easy to follow. Try and work it out yourself before looking at my explanations...it's just three short paragraphs.

1.)Hoca'nın köyünden olan bir adam, uzaklara gidip dışarıda bir çok yıllını harcar. Sonra evine döner. Eski dostları, onun yabancı ülkeler ve yabancı insanlara dair hikâyelerini merakla dinlerler.

Hoca'nın..Hoca's
Köyünden...village from..köy-ün-den

olan..who is..or who was..this is from the verb olmak..ol+AN who is being..
AN/EN on a verb stem gives the meaning of the one who is...eg. otur+an means the one who sits...yi-y-EN the one who eats
uzaklara ...far away to
gidip gid+İP.. go and...the İP ties two verbs of the same tense together..and in this sentence its joining gidip..with harcar
dışarşda..abroad...outside
bir çok yıllını...for many years.
harcar..spends..this is the timeless tense from the verb harcamak..to spend
Sonra evine döner..later home to he returned.
eski dostları ..old friends
yabancı ülkler..foreign countries
yabancı ınsanlar foreign people
dair hikayelerini ..about stories..
merakla dinlerler..curiosity with they listened
dinlemek to listen..dinlerler they listened..timeless tense.

From Hoca's village there was a man who went and spent many years away. His old friends listened with curiosity about his stories of foreign countries and foreign people.

2.)"Bu ülkelerin birinde hiç kimse hiç bir şey giymez! Orada bütün yıl hava çok sıcak olur," der adam.

''Bu ülkelerin birinde ..this country's persons in
hiç kimse hiç bir şey giymez!..nobody wears anything.
Orada bütün yıl hava çok sıcak olur''..there whole year weather very hot being.''
der adam..said man..demek to say..der he said..timeless/simple tense.

''İn this country the weather is hot all year round so nobody wears any clothes at all.'' He said

3.)"Öyle mi?" diye sorar Hoca. "Hiç elbise giymezler mi? Öyleyse, o ülkede bir kimsenin erkek mi yoksa kadın mı olduğunu nasıl anlarlar?"

''öyle mi?''..is it really
diye sorar Hoca..saying asked Hoca.
''Hiç elbise giymezler mi?...don't they wear any clothes?
giymezler mi? ..this is also the timeless tense from giymek..to wear
giymez..don't wear..+the question ?..Don't they wear?
Öyleyse..if so
o ülkede..in that country
kimsenin erkek mi yoksa kadın mı..anyone who is man or who is woman
oldüğünü..is being..from olmak..ol+dük/Ğ+ü..
nasıl anlarlar..how do they know?

''really' asked Hoca. ' No clothes at all?'' İf so in that country how can they know who is a man and who is a woman?'' :wink:

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Thanks Shirley, this is another nice (and stupid) Hoca story...
But I do find it difficult to decipher the sentences, and there are so many things that need explaining to me...., so I have some simple questions (I keep the complicated ones for later....

bir çok yıllını : does bir çok mean a lot ?? (very strange because bir means one or a..)
dair hikayelerini : does dair mean about (is this something like hakkinda ?)
and no, I will not mention "kimsenin erkek mi yoksa kadın mı olduğunu "...phew

Turkish sentences, Turkish mysteries
But maybe it is like the Turkish teacher says : after two years one has learned about everything about grammar, the hardest part is to understand the idioms and making sentences without allways wanting to refer to one's own language........

hi Sparrow
yes birçok means a lot...just as biraz means a little.
Dair is the same as hakkında..it means about or concerning
kimsenin erkek mi..yoksa kadın mı olduğunu nasıl anlarlar
kimsenin..kimin kimse...all these words mean more or less the same..which individual..or whose..or who is..whom..etc..kim..who..kimsenin is colloquial..i don't think you need to worry about it.
erkek mi..? kadın mı.?.this is using the question marker that i did the other day..Mİ?
is it a man or is it a woman
olduğunu..i think you probably know this form already..we've looked at it before
olmak to be..ol+duğ(K)...olduğu..that which he/she/it is or is being.
nasıl anlarlar..anlamak..to understand..here its (how nasıl )they understand..from the timeless tense
anla-r-lar
so word for word its;
kimsenin erkek mi *yoksa kadın mı ?..olduğunu nasıl anlarlar
whose man ? or woman? being..how understand they
is that ok MI?

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Yes, thanks Shirley
At least I'm getting the beginning of the sentence, this olduğunu thing still gives me the creeps (well, I had this problem for a long time with the short infinitive as well, so maybe after lots of exercise I might get used to it, the only form I really understand is like this : pişirdiğim yemek (the meal I cooked, right ?), and it took me quiete some time !
THINGS ARE SLOWLY GETTING BETTER, SLOWLY !

pişirdiğim yemeği güzel olmuş mu?
cooked which i have -food- nice -being -was it?
or as we would say
was the food which i cooked nice?

VWBug

I am a Turk
Ne yemekleri pisirmeyi biliyorsun? Burada Turkce konusabiliriz herhalde. Bence Turkce konusursak diger uyeler ogrenmek icin sozluklerine bakmaya baslarlar ve onlarin Turkce ogrenmesine yardimi olabilir. Ne dersiniz iyi bir fikirmi, he he he.

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Hèhè, this is too difficult for me , but I give it a try :
What do you want to cook ? Here we always can talk Turkish. I think, if we talk Turkish to learn another (uyeler ???) , .... they start to look in their dictionnaries and their Turkish learning can get some help ???
What do you say ? Good idea huh ???

Doesn't really make much sense to me, so I cannot say if this is a good idea or not....
the closest I can get is : learn turkish while you are cooking food with somebody who talks turkish......but who is they ???

hi umit
iyi bir fikir ama sadece Türkçe konuşursak insanlara için zor gelir.
bazı üyeler çok Türkçe biliyorlar başka biri çok az.
Keşke bizim üyeler bana daha karşilık veriyorlar..maalesef az görüşüyorlar
Çok acabam eğer bizim üyeler benim kelimeleri öğrenseler.
Daha önçe burada başka birileri adlı Negro ve Scream ..yazdılar.Yazdıktan sonra üyeler çok cevap verdiler.
ondan acaba.. :wink:

Last edited:
hi Sparrow..umit said
do you know what we should cook? Here we can talk turkish in all probability.
i think that different members will learn by looking the words up in their dictionaries
bakmaya başlarlar..they will start to look..
and this will help them to learn Turkish
what do you say..is it a good idea.? hehehe..doesnt need translating. :tongue:

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Thanks Shirley,
I get it, I get it !
Itwas s also very confusing because Umit doesn't use the right letters (like u instead of ü, so I didn't know üye means member)
That would be a double treat then, I understand you are a good cook..

and I do understand your message, you are right.....

maybe we could change the format..and do easy basic turkish right from the start..but we need to know what others members think...

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Yes, I think basis Turkish might be a good idea, and you can always insert one item in it for those who want a bit more...... :tongue:

I'm sure more people would benifit from it, and would respons to it as well,
maybe you could insert small easy exercises, so that might make it a bit more "interactive" (to use a fashionable term).
Repeating the same stuff and words several times (like referring to previous lessons ) might pay off as well, and more people would gain from it...
If you see how many times "word of the day " has been read, then it is obvious that there is an interest for it.

The level of the lessons is fairly high and it takes a genuine effort (speaking for myself) to throw oneself into it and trying to understand (not to mention memorizing), but I always enjoyed it.

I think we might praise ourselves very lucky with a native English speaking person who knows Turkish so well....... nothing can beat that !

So yes, let's vote on this : how do we want the lessons to continue ??

Latest Posts

Top Bottom