todays word.şeref
şeref...said..sheref ....means honour

Add the directional suffix E/A (following vowel harmony) and it becomes
şeref-e..to honour..as used in a toast when drinking

add the suffix SİZ and it becomes
şeref-siz..dishonest..a word you hear very often in insults.
o çok şerefsiz..he is no good he is dishonest.

add the suffix Lİ and it becomes şeref-li ..with honour
şerefine..in honour of.
ozur dilerim bügünün kelime bir az kolay..sorry if todays word is a bit
easy..
yarın görüşürüz.see you tomorrow.

sandpearse

Bolton Born and Bred
todays word.şeref
I dont think it is too easy, shirleyanntr, in fact this is how I like to learn, step by step and showing how words are formed
many thanks, please keep it up :)

Gail

todays word.şeref
This is great Shirley, I hope you can manage to keep it up.

Thank you :pressie:

todays word.şeref
thanks ..i need some encouragement.
i found learning turkish very difficult to start with because of the suffixes...and these are essential...
parrot ..its the best word in the language

VWBug

I am a Turk
todays word.şeref
Thanks Shirley you are great teacher. Keep up with the good work.
Yes it is the best word but without the siz suffix lol..

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
todays word.şeref
Sorry, I don't get this : what does parrot mean then ?? (does it mean suffix ?)

Guz1

todays word.şeref
Sparrow,
If you look at Shirley's first post it explains that the suffix SIZ changes the word honour to dishonour: seref = honour; serefsiz = dishonour.

Shirley, do I deserve a star for that?

Maria.

VWBug

I am a Turk
todays word.şeref
Hi Maria, shirley gets all the stars from me but it's up to her to share it with you lol. But really you are also helpful lets see what shirley says. :lol:

todays word.şeref
guz is right...6 stars today.
sparrow...turkish forms its meanings from the add-ons...its essential to recognise them..listen when people are talking..get your ear in...its hard to hear some of them at first..
and when you begin to converse make sure you add the end bits and pronounce them...this is the first steps..and then you're on your way.
as an easy example if you say
'alanya..geliyorum'...it means nothing....
its just two words..alanya..and.. geliyorum
BUT..if you add the suffix DAN to alanya you are then saying
alanya..from i am coming...DAN is the suffix meaning 'from'
Alanyadan geliyorum
hope this helps.

GarryP

todays word.şeref
Hi Shirley, Why not tell us a bit about yourself. Presumably you are not Turkish, where did you pick up a good command of Turkish? and do you write these articles yourself or are they sourced from somewhere else ... Just curious, thats all!

todays word.şeref
these words are all off the top of my head Gary..theyre everyday words and usuage...nothing too deep either...im trying to keep it at a very basic level.
i hardly ever get to speak english..yusuf cant speak english...nor my neighbours.
i know how hard its been for me...still is at times...but i feel the grammar books get it wrong with their insistance on pushing all the off putting things about turkish in the first lesson.
ok you have to get vowel harmony..and consonant mutation...and back and front vowels..and never ending suffixes...and the very strange to us..word order...but they never try to simplyfy it for the ordinary person...who maybe just wants to get to grips with basic grammar.
doing these words is really enjoyable for me....and its also helping me to make sure im spelling properly...im driving yusuf nuts...the good thing about turkish though is that its phonetic...

Serdar

todays word.şeref
I think you are doing great by concentrating on the vocab and giving bits of grammar with the words. And I completely agree with your thoughts about the grammar books.
We have similar difficulties with English.
Trying to learn every aspect of the grammar and trying hard not to make any mistakes
will not help much I guess.

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
todays word.şeref
Oh thanks a lot everybody, but there seems to be some confusion over here, I was just asking "what is the meaning of Parrot" ??? I thought Parrot was a Turkish word, unknown to me, now I see this is the name of a member, and is simply an English word..
But still, thanks a lot for everybody explaining to me about suffixes, you are quiete right Shirley, those two words together mean nothing, one needs suffixes to build a sentence.....

VWBug

I am a Turk
todays word.şeref
Just a little note I wanted to add to this lovely useful thread. Seref is also being used in Turkey as a male person name.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom