panther

Today's Generation
Whatever happened to people in today's society. Nowadays a lot of people are ruthless, greedy, selfish and inconsiderate. Having just retired from nursing, there were very few and almost no people you could trust. Always wanting a cheap brownie point at someone else's expense. Trying to cause bother etc etc. These people were the worst offenders because of their own inadequacies.

It seems managers like to hear the childish tittle tattle of such people. Personally I could never be bothered with these immature games and prefer to look after my colleagues.
Now it seems to be a workforce of a breed of backstabbers and untrusting nasty people and a lot of lazy people.

Going back over 40 years ago. When I worked with people it was a different environment where we covered up for each other and it made for better working environment.

One of the first questions that are asked in an interview these days: and the appropriate answer they want to hear is "whistle blowing." No doubt this is why the least triviality gets reported.

Its just a pity people haven't outgrown childishness and took a more mature approach in the working environment.

This topic came to mind after reading Bobthenob on how people prayed on M.J.

Last edited:

DAVIDO

Today's Generation
its no wonder people go around today so down.as you say it was so different years ago .people worked for each other not themselves.i never forget many years ago i worked for a big company repairing business machines, it was a great company and worked hard but enjoyed it ,we were loyal to the company and were appreciated for this by the management ,then the usual thing happened,people bought in to change and cut costs, and at a meeting these words i clearly remember ..i know in the past loyalty was very important to this company but changes are needed. bonuses work output and saving as much money as we can are key issues . yes you guessed from then on jobs went and staff who had been there and were great at their job were given a hard time so then they took early pensions,and that leaves us where we are today. how can the youth of today feel good about starting a career, when the persons ability is not important but what they can do to save the company money.

davido

miela

Today's Generation
Panther

Whilst I understand where you are coming from with regard to the nostalga of working to support one another, I also understand the complexities that are involved in running the health service. It has changed so much in 40 years and there are now so many people who work in the service but are not directly employed by it, therefore they dip in and out. There are so many problems these days where hospitals and wards are not cleaned properly and people feel vulnerable to infections if they are in the position where they have to be hospitalised. My daughter (who is now an RCN) took a summer job in an agency who provided workers who go into the home to look after the elderly. She quit the job after 3 days as she felt totally helpless. She witnessed a senior carer who she could only conclude, had been abusive to one of the clients. She said the elderly gentleman who was in his 90s was stripped naked in front of her the first time she met him, she washed his nether regions then washed his face with the same cloth, she said she was very rough with him and that his eyes welled up with tears. The elderly man was obviously very embarassed by the indignity of it all.

Im afraid if I had been her I wouldn't have just quit my job, I would have reported that woman for abuse. There has been years of silence and loyalty to colleagues that allowed young children to be abused in childrens homes also.

Having the guts to be a whistleblower is very rare but very important. These things have to be highlighted or they will never improve.

Im sorry Panther but that is how I feel but Im not sure what the connection with tittle tattling and Michael Jackson's death is.

Miela

Last edited:

panther

Today's Generation
I agree, abuse needs to be reported. I was referring to some things which are fabricated and just for the sake of dropping people in it. No justification whatsoever.

Gail

Today's Generation
I'm with you on this one Miela, maybe todays generation are not frightened to put up with some of the c##p we have had to put up with over the years. I also think that the young generation come in for stick just for being young, I have three children and I would hope they would stick up for themselves in the work place and speak out when something is wrong, far too much is covered up now and certainly was in the past because people were scared to speak up. :horn:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom