merlin

Tips for protecting your property during the winter months....
Winter wont be long off now and for some people who are visiting their property in the next few weeks, it will be their last chance to prepare their property for those wet and damp winter months ahead.

Does anyone have any good tips and ideas on making sure theres no unwelcome suprises the next time you visit in 2006?

Merv

leylaasena

Leave internal doors,kitchen cupoards and wardrobe doors open and place bowls of salt around the place to absorb damp from the air.
If practical leave one or two windows open for circulation.

Sylvia

We did all as Bev says above last year and did not have any probs.
Leave fridge/freezer doors open, cover all internal drains, plug holes etc stops any unwelcome insects, salt is great for soaking all damp this was rock hard when we arrived in May, and dont forget to check all external doors are locked.

lorraine

Non Active Member
Found the following replies by other members giving their recommendations.

blossom said:
Up end Mattresses to allow air to circulate especially if on a wooden bed base, roll up any rugs place on a sofa or such like. Put moth bally things in sinks/basins. Air Freshner blocks in wardrobes and in rooms. TURN OFF ALL WATER SUPPLIES AND ELECTRIC at the MAINS.
Ideally cover soft furnishings with Dust Sheets. Make sure all windows are securely closed/locked pull curtains across so that nobody can see into property!! Finally lock doors and leave a Key with someone Trustworthy in case of a problem;)
and
steve said:
lets hear all about your top tips .......

when locking up your apartment for the winter, roll up towels and place tham at all exterior doors, this helps keep out any driving rain that may come into your accommodation ....... any more anybody ???
steve

merlin

I suppose the old chestnut - changing locks before you leave.

Afterall, you never know who might have a key.

Merv!

lorraine

Non Active Member
Yes definitely change locks if the property has been rented all season.

More hints for preparing your property for the winter.

Empty and clean out fridges and freezers and leave the doors open or mould will build.

For Linens, bedding, cushions etc Vacum pack, if you do not have vacum bags purchase some heavy duty bin liners and sellotape, place items inside and put the hose of a vacum cleaner in the bag sucking out the air and seal quickly with the tape. purchse large plastic dustcovers and place over beds, sofas, Tv's etc.. unplug electricals just to be on the safe side incase of winter storms.

Take batteries out of remote controls and clocks.

If possible open all internal doors to ensure through ventilation.

Turn off electric and water and take meter readings,

and just before leaving spray Raid or similar Bug sprays round external doors and thresholds, it does help.

mjdell

Hello everyone. I have read all the threads and posts connecting to "Tips for protecting your property during the winter months" and found them all very useful. Now the last few posts are a little out of date so I wondered if any seasoned forum members would be willing to share their "top tips" on how to leave their houses/apartments.. or great advice on any UK, or in country, products to use ? Many thanks.

Hi All,

Most people are recommending to turn off all electric and water!!!!

Be careful if you have an alarm fitted! That will require 24/7 electric supply.
Even though they have battery back up and it should last until you return. Some batteries will fail!
I would advise anyone who has an alarm fitted, to have its own independent supply. This applies to security lighting and surveillance cameras.

If you have to leave the water supply on for some reason! Don't block off any internal drains to stop creepy crawlers getting in.
Otherwise if there is a burst pipe or leak the water won't be able to drain away and you may come back to an indoor swimming pool. LOL

Always turn off water if poosible!!!
Cos otherwise if there is a leak? You will come back to a very big water bill!!!!

Try and arrange for someone to visit your property on a regular basis.
If anything has gone wrong they will be able to sort out asap.
and not left until you return.

roz

roz
Hi we always put moth balls in the sinks and toilets at the drains roz

kaplumba

Why moth balls in the sinks? Anyone with an Intasure policy will see we have to shut off water and electricity any time the property is uninhabited.
We always leave interior doors open and a small window upstairs on a sheltered side of the house, fitted with a fly screen open for ventilation. No problems so far.

Mr Turkey

Ive got an unusual one -

DONT put toliet blocks in the water cisterns of toilets, put them in the bowl. Otherwise the ( much stronger than we get at home ) chemicals rot the seals of your toilet system.

Not blocking the drains is also very very true, and disconnect any gas bottles.

And for those with six bedroom detached villa's -Be sure to turn your bottles of champagne and keep them on their side so that the corks don't dry!!!!!

Mr Turkey

guinevere

hi ,not sure if this is the right place ,but i saw a post a few weeks ago and someone said to us mp1 as a sealant for windows as it is the best ,i have said to my people who are going to do the work in january that is what i want to be used and they haven't heard of it .now we don't want to be replacing the sealant every year ( especially as my partner will not be getting up any ladders ) ,does anyone have any ideas where to get it from so that the builders can use it ? thanks :307bt:

guinevere said:
hi ,not sure if this is the right place ,but i saw a post a few weeks ago and someone said to us mp1 as a sealant for windows as it is the best ,i have said to my people who are going to do the work in january that is what i want to be used and they haven't heard of it .now we don't want to be replacing the sealant every year ( especially as my partner will not be getting up any ladders ) ,does anyone have any ideas where to get it from so that the builders can use it ? thanks :307bt:

Hi guinevere,

I mentioned mp 1 as sealant some time ago. It is manufactured by Degussa and ours was bought in Istanbul (I think in the Bauhaus diy market). Some of our windows were sealed with mp 1 and they are fine. Others that were done with the "standard" sealant had to be resealed after less than one year. Hope this helps you.

guinevere

hi ,many thanks for that ,i will pass it on to my people . :splat:

tingdene

If you have a patio door and are unable to fit a lock to it, cut a piece of dowling or other timber to drop into the groove for the sliding door (provided it is on the inside). Whilst someone may be able to break the catch on the handle, they will not be able to slide the door back.
I put mothballs in all the drains. It seems to stop the bad smells when your home is closed for a long time and definitely deters creepy crawlies coming in through this entry!!!!!!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Ive got an unusual one -

DONT put toliet blocks in the water cisterns of toilets, put them in the bowl. Otherwise the ( much stronger than we get at home ) chemicals rot the seals of your toilet system.

Not blocking the drains is also very very true, and disconnect any gas bottles.

And for those with six bedroom detached villa's -Be sure to turn your bottles of champagne and keep them on their side so that the corks don't dry!!!!!

Mr Turkey

Moet's ready to pack it's own little jacket, always have to pop the cork once we've unpacked after a long hard day's travelling, lol. def counting my sleeps now, we go on the 2nd May.

:cheers:

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Solar panels have to have anti freeze in them otherwise they can crack. It has to renewed every year.

Also, if you are going to leave the fridge and freezer doors open after you've cleaned them out, try putting something metal as a spacer between the door and the fridge so as to ensure an air gap, but to also allow the magnets to retain their magnetism. I have heard if you don't the magnets lost their stick....

advent

Hi Folks, can someone tell me do all ground floor apartments and villas suffer from rising damp during the winter thanks

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
The short answer is no. It depends on a lot of factors though.

Thechefster

Hi guinevere,

I mentioned mp 1 as sealant some time ago. It is manufactured by Degussa and ours was bought in Istanbul (I think in the Bauhaus diy market). Some of our windows were sealed with mp 1 and they are fine. Others that were done with the "standard" sealant had to be resealed after less than one year. Hope this helps you.

Anyone know if this MP1 sealant is available in Datca or can I buy an equivalent in the UK and bring it over with me.

I'm quite surprised that I have to reseal my windows after 2 years. When I was out in April there was signs of rain getting in through the window seal. Is this a common problem?

Thanks

Latest Posts

Top Bottom