Status
Not open for further replies.

captain

Tips at petrol stations
Does anybody tip the guy who fills your fuel tank up for you? or the one who washes the windscreen?

I usually give them a couple of lira each - is that about right? Hardly breaks the bank for me but I hope it helps them out a bit if they're relying on tips to make up a decent wage.

Doug

PASH

Tips at petrol stations
I only do if they give my screen a clean, otherwise no. Not sure whether this is right or wrong?

Moggycat

Tips at petrol stations
OOH!! Feel guilty now, never even given it a thought in all the years driving in Turkey!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Tips at petrol stations
No, don,t think its expected. Never thought about it really. Don,t think the Turks do.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Tips at petrol stations
I often give them 50 kurus for a ├žay.

At many petrol stations the lads aren't reliant on tips, but have a profit sharing scheme. They're on a basic wage, plus a percentage of turn-over shared amongst all of them.

Last edited:
Tips at petrol stations
We usually give the guys who wash the car a lira or two. But not the pump attendant or the guy who does the windscreen.

Tips at petrol stations
In my opinion if you don't move from your car but simply hand out your keys there is a hint of arrogance and you might tip. I'm like the majority [?] here and tip to the windshield cleaner assuming he will share.

captain

Tips at petrol stations
In my opinion if you don't move from your car but simply hand out your keys there is a hint of arrogance and you might tip.

:heh::heh::heh:
I always get out of the car - not because I'm not arrogant but only because I want to make sure they've got the right nozzle in the filler pipe !!

Thanks for the replies, maybe I'll switch to the "only tip the windscreen washer" camp.

Last edited by a moderator:

richbake

Tips at petrol stations
Likewise- never tip the pump attendant; cant see the point but feel it is right to tip the guy who gives the car a complimentary wash when you fill up.

thingthong

Tips at petrol stations
I hope none of you meanies ever have to work has an attendant in a petrol station,these guys depend on tips,just like waiters in america,ask any american about tipping a waiter ,its an unwritten rule.

bethx

Tips at petrol stations
I hope none of you meanies ever have to work has an attendant in a petrol station,these guys depend on tips,just like waiters in america,ask any american about tipping a waiter ,its an unwritten rule.

Ive never known any Turkish person tip a petrol station attendant... I didnt think it was expected. Most of the Turkish people I know dont tip the window cleaner or car cleaner either.

Tips at petrol stations
I gotta say it, after refraining for a day. Many Turkish people are snobs and look down on the "serving classes"; sure they don't tip.
Restaurant owners around here dislike the Istanbul/Ankara tourists in their big flash cars, it probably starts with the finger snapping to get their attention.

JAYTEE

Tips at petrol stations
We give the guy who fills the car up and the one who cleans the windscreen (if there is one) a lira or two each. Don't get that kind of service in the UK do we.

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Tips at petrol stations
My husband is Turkish and he never gives a tip.

Also mine too - but unlike most he always gives the guys 1 tl each - he has known what it is like to be of a " poorer " class - so 1 tl for him is nothing but for the guys who fill up and wash your screens can add up to alot for them !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom