kaplumba

Tick borne encephalitis
Just wondering if anyone has been given the same information as my friend. We are taking her son to Turkey in July and she took him off to the doctor for some jabs. While they were there she was told that this year there is a particularly big out break of this disease and that it was most important to have the vaccination. Now the next problem is if I decided to have my son 'done' it has to be done very soon and as he is in the middle of A level exams it the flu like side effects could be a problem. There is also the small matter of £100 per jab and there are 4 of us! I have just phoned NHS direct for advice and they will get back to me tomorrow. I can't imagine that all you folk who live there have had this jab but what have you all heard about this disease?

Aunty

Tick borne encephalitis
Not heard anything. Relatives with children have just had holiday here but didn`t mention anything about this disease. Could it be just another scaremungery thing (if that`s the right word)

AzraCansel

I give up, let me die
Tick borne encephalitis
I have heard nothing about it since living here but when I lived in Canada there was alway talk about ticks but it was mainly restricted to forested areas and rare in the city area. No one that I know of ever had the jab back in Canada either.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Tick borne encephalitis
There was a outbreak of it in one of the Eastern provinces. And, as is the case with many things like this, it was poor basic hygiene that was the main cause.

Wherever you go there is the likelyhood of picking up a tick of one sort or another. Afterall, even our beds are full of bugs and since Nitty Nora The Bug Explorer disappeared from schools we've all heard of the infestations of head lice doing the rounds!

If you have animals, then it's wise to treat them with Frontline or something similar. When returning from a walk, especially if you've been through long grass, you should always check yourself and pets for ticks.

Oh, and if you do find that you've got one attached to your skin, twist it clockwise and pull in one movement. The clockwise twist helps to dislodge the mouthpart.

Simple as that really!

Last edited:

CATHNJOHN

Tick borne encephalitis
Hi,i think it might be a quick way for your doctors surgery to make 100 quid.I took my 2 year old to our surgery and asked about this and the doctor said to speak to a pharmacist.If you look on most mossie repellents they also protect against ticks so a decent brand like Autan or Jungle formula should be enough.

kaplumba

Tick borne encephalitis
Exactly what him indoors said cathnjohn. It all came about because the younger brother of the said kid is going camping with the scouts in Austria. It was a case of no jab no trip. However from what I see on the internet there really is a problem there and not worth taking a risk. Just twisting it off won't make any difference if the thing is carrying the disease. So they asked the nurse about Turkey who went off spoke to a doctor looked it up somewhere and said yes there is a problem with it in Turkey. We travel all over the world and very often to Turkey and have never felt the need to have this jab and I'm not keen to stick unnecessary needles into my family, so was just wondering what people on here had heard. I have phoned the NHS help line and they didn't know anything either but will get back to me tomorrow.

Tick borne encephalitis
Tick borne infection is not a problem in Turkey.
its always been prevalent in scandanavian countries and the old ussr..in areas where there are dense forests.
the symptoms are akin to meningitis..
so dont worry about it..unless you are camping out up in the mountains in latvia or Finland..or thereabouts..also some areas of the States

canim

Tick borne encephalitis
This website lists all the recomended jabs for turkey & any infections & diseases to be aware of.
there are pretty up to date with anything new that is a problem

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Tick borne encephalitis
Found this

Advice

Where is this tick borne disease found?
The infection is found in the woodlands of Central Europe, particularly southern Germany, Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Poland and the Baltic states. It is also present in much of Russia and other former Soviet Republics, and may occur in southern Sweden and Finland. With global warming there is a tendency to see increasing problems in the Baltic and southern Scandinavia and a decline in Central Europe.

Can it be prevented?

Tick bite prevention is the most effective means of avoiding the disease and is important in areas of risk. Travellers should watch out for ticks, which are difficult to see when small but can be as big as a sweetcorn kernel when they have fed. If bitten, the tick should be removed with a pair of tweezers applied as close as possible to the skin, pulling gently while twisting. Squeezing the abdomen will force the tick’s stomach contents into the wound.

Vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis is recommended for those who plan to camp or spend time in woodland in affected areas.

Danger rating: 2/10

Latest Posts

Top Bottom