Thy Miles and Smiles baggage allowance and Izmir airport
I recently got my airline ticket from Thy Airlines, using my Miles and Smiles points. On receipt of my e-ticket, I discovered that the baggage allowance is not the usual 30kgs, but is only 20kgs, as per the rules of the Miles and Smiles issue. I am travelling from Izmir to Dublin via Istanbul, and am wondering how strict Thy are in Izmir Airport with regard to baggage allowance. Has any one had any problems.

Mary.

reni

Hi Mary,
I always fly with THY, and I always had overweight on my baggage when I was flying to Turkey (around 8 kg) and they never gave me to pay penalty.
Usually I fly from Vienna or Budapest to Izmir through Istanbul.
Last time I went home (fly from Izmir to Vienna) I had 4 kg overweight and they didn’t say anything.
But they don’t accept any checked in baggage which is 32 kg or more.
Maybe it depends which route you are on, but they never charged me penalty before for overweight.
Reni

Leyley

Free as a bird
My understanding is that they don't accept any checked in luggage over the weight of 23 kgs at all. Had problems at Manchester airport as 22 kgs hold luggage - but think that was the fault of the check-in staff rather than THY - you actually have 28 kgs [that is 20 kgs hold luggage and 8kgs of handluggage and they bundle them together]. However, some flights you can be down to 15 kgs if you buy some promotional tickets. It has become much tighter about hold luggage allowances more recently.

Dellol

THY definately give 30kg hold luggage, but as OP said if you book a flight through your Airmiles, it is only 20kg. I posted about this earlier on in the year. Sorry, but I can't help you out with the extra weight and charges for same...

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
I have booked with thy from manchester to bodrum at the beginning of december, the luggage allowance is 23KG hold, and 8 kilo cabin

it is an economy class flight booked via e bookers

martin

ballyer

the golden Girls
Hi Mary, how do I find out how many points I need to have accrued in order to qualify for the "free" flight, (I know I have to pay taxes). I would be flying from Dublin to Bodrum.. :)

I've flown with THY many times and been over the allowance with no charge, not however in recent years. I think all airlines are now much stricter on the allowances than previously.

I'm away for 2 months this winter and am flying Lufthansa, Monarch (scheduled service) and EasyJet in the course of my travels - all have the same allowance of 20 kilos. Packing will be a nightmare as I'm having 6 weeks sun and sea, followed by 1 week in the UK and 1 week in Hamburg in January when I'll need thermals and boots!!

Yes 20kgs and 8kgs with the Miles and Smiles issue ticket. I rang Thy at Izmir to confirm this and was told the same. However the girl I spoke to, told me if the flight had originated from Dublin, the allowance ould have been 30kgs.
I just wonder if anyone on here had issed a Miles and Smiles ticket and how they got on with the luggage in Izmir.

Ballyer,
Just click on the Miles and Smiles, and on the right hand side you will see a number of options. You should be able to get the info ther. If you have any problems come back to me.

Mary.

Dellol

I have booked with thy from manchester to bodrum at the beginning of december, the luggage allowance is 23KG hold, and 8 kilo cabin

it is an economy class flight booked via e bookers

martin

Hi Martin, unless has changed very recently. We fly regularly with THY from Dublin to Izmir and it has been 30kg for the past few years... Now we have always booked them direct, so unless it is the e bookers bit...not sure....

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Hi Dellol

Its printed on the ticket...which is an eticket issued by Turkish Airlines. I can check my reservation via thy.com. The only reason i booked with ebookers was beause it was cheaper. Last time I booked with thy.com it was the same 23kg printed on the eticket. That was earlier this year.

Lets be honest all airlines are cutting back after all if you then exceed the allowance its easy money !

Regards

Martin

Dellol

You're probably right Martin...everyone is cutting back. I suppose we have been lucky up until now with THY, as getting 30kg is/was very good.... I was wondering, maybe it is flying from Dublin, they might be allowing for the extra weight on the Irish mind's at the mo......lol

I have an elite plus miles card with THY and get 2 x 30 kgs where ever I fly which ever class but cant put more then 32 in one bag you have to use 2 bags to get the full 2 x 30kg (total 60kg) benefit.

pipermam

Hi, I have often flown on my Miles and Smiles ticket from Dublin to Bodrum and I'm usually over the 20kgs allowed on this ticket. I have never once been questioned about it or had to pay extra. The requirement for this ticket is 20.000 miles, so if you are flying from Dublin to Bodrum return every sixth flight will be free, just pay the taxes.

Well guess who got caught for 190 Euro excess baggage!!!!!
Yes you read that right. and I wasn't the only one.

To be honest, I knew I was over the limit. I was just hoping to get away with it.
I had got my ticket using my Miles and Smiles points, I only paid 80 Euros taxes, so I wasn't too bothered. But I just wanted to let you all know that they have clamped down big-time in Izmir Airport.
It was explained to me that if I had booked a return ticket from Dublin, I would have had 30kgs, but as I booked in Turkey, the allowance was reduced to 20kgs.
In hindsight I Should have booked Lufthansa to Munich and then Aer Lingus to Dublin. Then I would have had the 30kgs.
Anyway lesson learned for next time.

Mary.

bebs

Sorry to hear that Mary ,gosh that was steep . In hindsight I could have taken stuff back for you as mine for once, was way under 30kgs. Never thought of that when we met, love Bernie xxx

Ah thanks Bebs.
As I said lesson learned for next time. I hope!!!!!
I just find I cant stop buying for the grandchildren when I see how cheap things are in comparison to Ireland. Would you believe the only items in the bags for myself were three sweat-shirts!!!!
It really was lovely to meet you.

Mary.

Well guess who got caught for 190 Euro excess baggage!!!!!
Yes you read that right. and I wasn't the only one.

To be honest, I knew I was over the limit. I was just hoping to get away with it.
I had got my ticket using my Miles and Smiles points, I only paid 80 Euros taxes, so I wasn't too bothered. But I just wanted to let you all know that they have clamped down big-time in Izmir Airport.
It was explained to me that if I had booked a return ticket from Dublin, I would have had 30kgs, but as I booked in Turkey, the allowance was reduced to 20kgs.
In hindsight I Should have booked Lufthansa to Munich and then Aer Lingus to Dublin. Then I would have had the 30kgs.
Anyway lesson learned for next time.

Mary.

Mary, the Lufthansa allowance is now 20 kilos - sadly!!

It is looking very much like it is going to be return flights with Thy from Dublin next year.

Mary.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom