Maisie

Thomas Cook Flight TCX816L
The above flight from Bodrum on 20th July at 15.15 was concelled due to mechanical failure. After being bussed to a hotel in Bodrum for the night, this flight finally took off on 21st July 2009 at just after 04.30 (a delay of over thirteen hours). Upon arrival back at Stansted all passengers were given a letter (for insurance purposes) explaining the delay. However, after getting home and preparing to make a claim, I noticed that the letter said the flight took off at 03.10 on the 21st (making the delay under 12 hours).

Was anyone else on this flight? Have you tried to make an insurance claim? I have emailed Thomas Cook asking for a revised letter showing the correct departure time, but so far no response. Has anyone else tried this?

Maisie

Maisie

Update. Aren't Thomas Cook wonderful? After nearly a month and umpteen emails, I have today finally got confirmation that the delay on this flight was 13hrs.57mins. Just have to hope now that the insurance company will accept a claim at this late stage. Maisie

I would of submitted the claim with the initial letter & waited for them to knock it back while awaiting further confirmation to provide them with.You know what insurance companies are like they look for the slightest thing to knock back a claim & if you wait to submit the claim with the correct information they then say well you should of made a claim by x date.

Maisie

Update. After 17 letters, 12 emails and 11 telephone calls I have today finally received a cheque from our insurance company! Initially, Thomas Cook got the flight times wrong and it took several weeks for them to confirm the correct times, by email. I sent copies of this to the insurers, who said it was not good enough as it was not on Thomas Cook headed paper. Asked Thomas Cook to provide this. Insurers again refused to accept, saying that this was "only a copy of the email" which was already in their possession.

The problem then was that the insurers would not accept "technical" as the reason for the delay. Thomas Cook refused to provide any other information. I asked the insurers if they wanted an engineer's report saying that, for example, the sprocket toggle had broken, or the rubber band connecting a cog to the main drive shaft had broken, or the wheel had dropped off, etc. They replied that they wanted the word "technical" applied to the aircraft. I suppose this meant that they wanted to rule out a malfunction of the check-in computers, confirmation that this was not due to the crew not turning up etc.

I conveyed this to Thomas Cook, who were still adamant in their refusal to provide any further information. Finally, I wrote to the insurers pointing out that I had a policy which covered delays, we were delayed, and they were refusing to pay out. I also included a very thinly veiled threat to report the whole matter to the Financial Services Authority, of which they are members. Hey presto - the cheque appeared!

So, the moral here guys is - perseverance pays off. I think our insurers were hoping that I would give up and go away. Wrong! It has only taken five and a half months to sort out! But what a shambles both from Thomas Cook and our insurers. It has probably cost me more in time and corrspondence than we got paid. But it is the principle that matters.

Maisie

janA

which insurance company did you use, as must remind friends to avoid them!!

Giudi Firenze

Giudi Firenze
Good for you!!!! Thumbs up!!! Never let go especially when you are entitled to compensation. It is a tactic, that all insurance companis adopt, so the dont have to pay out, but they are quick enough to take our money. Well done.

Martyn

Well done. I had a battle years ago with DFS that went to an independent enquiry and I won, great feeling.:rockon:

Maisie

The insurance company is Essential Travel, underwritten by AXA. Not exactly a small company eh? It was AXA that I had all the dealings with, Essential Travel having passed them the claim. I shall be seriously considering whether I renew with them when next due.

Maisie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom