tinac

Tinac
Thinking of moving???
Hi im completly new to this site. Im Tina. By the title you can all guess im wanting to move to marmaris! I have two children and 5year old and a two year old! I am seperated from my turkish hubby altho we are still friends! He said he will never move back to turkey altho i think if i moved with the kids he wouldnt b far behind!
I just really find it stressful on my own with two kids! Im under no illusions dont get me wrong that my life will dramatically change for the better but i just feel it will be worth it even if it turns out to be an experience for a year!
I have researched the subject over and over and have a huge folder ready full of stuff! the only thing i cant find is accomodation! I know when i lived there 6 years ago with my hubby we searched the streets high and low until we found somewhere! I think i may have to do the same again spend a week out there and search for somewhere! Are there no estate agents who can help me ? and if not does anyone know of how much a three bed apart Im not bothered about furnished or not or if it s rough aaround the edges just somewhere to settle for a bit till we get sorted would be good!? Please any advice would be good! Thanks xx

Thinking of moving???
Hi there,

I live in Marmaris and there are a few agents, however i am sure that they charge comission etc.

There is one called cigdem who are very good, she has contacts with many other agents and always has a lot on her books.

Not sure of the number, maybe google or pop in and see them, in armutalen on the main road up, past antique palace.

Have u thought about schools and the lanaguage problem for the kids,i know many struggle initially when they move here.

Hope this helps

civciv

Thinking of moving???
Cigdem is a good agency as previous poster said. Dont forget that you will have to arrange residence visas before your children can enrol in school. My friend is an english teacher in a school in Armutalan so if you would like to learn more about the education system, I can put you in touch with her.
Nurseries are expensive but useful ways to meet other mothers, although in Armutalan there are many British and english speaking foreigners living there.
I know a lady whose kids couldnt settle in Marmaris (Beldibi, too far out for them and she was fed up of driving them around) .. they wanted english food all the time and it was costing the lady a fortune, so if your children can adapt to living without everything british, they will enjoy life a lot better. There is so much freedom for children to enjoy life, playing outside without you having to worry about them.. reminds me of how my childhood was in england!

saz

Thinking of moving???
we live in beldibi and have a 3 year old, 1 year old and another on the way - olivia goes to creche 3 afternoons and eliza goes 1 afternoon, tues we have mums and tots and always get together in the week too - so lots for you and you children to do - schools here yes of course they will have to speak turkish so i would suggest putting kids into a turkish creche and you will be suprised how quickly they will pick it up - just drop me a line if you want xx

Fastlady

Thinking of moving???
hi tina, when are you looking to move out here? To be honest, I would say now is going to be quite difficult to find somewhere to rent as obviously we're coming into the season. If you could leave it until October there'll be a lot more choice and cheaper.
Having said that, I know of a 3 bed unfurnished house, in a nice area, near the amphitheatre, which is 600 lira a month.
Do you have any friends here that you could stay with for a while until you find somewhere suitable?
Please feel free to PM me if you need any help or info.

chelsea boy

Dun Goat Herding!
Thinking of moving???
earning a living here is hard, impossible if no work permit. i have to say that the education system is basic and not very expansive. I would really think twice about moving here. It does have plus sides but not if you are struggling for money!

babes123

Thinking of moving???
hi tina think long and hard about your decision to move to turkey i think about it all the time and no i could probably live of the interest from the bank i own an apartment already but my kids education always comes first even if we had a good 10 years or so in turkey with the kids when they grow up the kids might want to go back to the uk and with no reconized qualifacations whats the chances of them getting a good job

Thinking of moving???
hi tina think long and hard about your decision to move to turkey i think about it all the time and no i could probably live of the interest from the bank i own an apartment already but my kids education always comes first even if we had a good 10 years or so in turkey with the kids when they grow up the kids might want to go back to the uk and with no reconized qualifacations whats the chances of them getting a good job

Babes - you're absolutely right. As I've said before, most Turkish parents would kill to get their children into the UK education system, especially at Secondary level. Turkish qualifications are not acceptable for entry to UK colleges and universities, and after more than 3 years out of the UK students are no longer eligible for normal entry but have to pay full fees as foreign students. As for jobs - forget it, it's difficult enough for young people with good UK qualifications, and as an ex-Careers Adviser I have experience of the problems they face as returning ex-pats.

taloola

Thinking of moving???
Life is for living and I think its a great idea that you want to move to Turkey. Your children are young and they will adapt and pick up the language quickly. Whats so great about the UK anymore?? The education system is not that great anymore, you could teach your 5yr old the British Ciruculum at home and then they would be able to return British Education at a later date. There are thousands of people in the UK home schooling their children. And as for jobs?? What jobs, people a fleeing the UK insearch of work.
Moving to a different country and culture is a education for your kids and learning a 2nd language at a young age is one of the best things you could be doing for your children.

Aslong as you have the financial resources then I would definately go ahead with your plans.
Good Luck.

L

les&Tasha

Thinking of moving???
You must ask yourself a simple question -

Are you emigrating to Turkey or just coming to live here for a few years as an ex-pat?

If you are emigrating why worry about your kids getting jobs in the UK when they grow up?? My children are 4 and 1.5 and they will grow up Turkish. If your kids are young and make the transition by the time they grow up they will not have the attachment to UK that their parents have!

If you want an expat life in Turkey with a young family you will need lots of money. Proper International schools in Turkey (where teaching is in English) are as expensive as private education in the UK. You will also need to live near a big city. Fees are are between $5000 to $20000 per child per year. The cost rises as the child gets older. Sixth form (International Bacclaureate - IB) is from $15,000 a year.

So think carefully. Once your kids have settled in the Turkish schools system then returning to the UK is a very bad option for them!

Tasha

Top Bottom