Thinking Of Buying
Hi my hubby & I are thinking about buying a small place in Turkey pref around Altinkum area ............we only have a very limited budget (max £20,000) but from what I can see advertised on some sites this is not too unreasonable - as everyone is aware things are tight in UK but it seems an ideal time for us to buy something to use for holidays until we hopefully retire in 5- 10 years. We would prefer 2 bedrooms but could manage at a push with 1. It's been almost 3 years since we were last in Altinkum so know things will have changed a lot.

We wouldn't be interested in an off plan development as I would be terrified incase they went bust (like so many places over here) if anyone could give us any advise it would be greatly appreciated ie areas to avoid, good estate agents or any good tips.

Should be over in September/October at the latest so plan on having a good luck around whilst on holiday.

Many thanks in advance - Michelle

juco

Thinking Of Buying
Stick to buying a resale with all documentation in place. Plenty available and much safer.

Peregrine

Thinking Of Buying
spend some serious time researching the process and the pitfalls

have a look at Crashtesters (rather long) thread on purchasing as well as his "rate your emlak site"

check the process described on the official Turkish Economy website (link to be found by searching the forum)

take your time and dont rush

get some personal recommendations (from people you can trust)

think about going there on hols first (you might not like it!)

and finally, have fun and enjoy it

jearden

Thinking Of Buying
Three things you can easily overlook in the excitement of buying into a dream.

Damp. Buy in the winter after it has chucked it down with rain.

Hills. Fine if you’re a spring chicken but not so brilliant in retirement

Fees. £1000 a year site fees makes 3 weeks holiday a year an expensive option.

Happy hunting

Summertime

Golden Girls
Thinking Of Buying
Hi my hubby & I are thinking about buying a small place in Turkey pref around Altinkum area ............we only have a very limited budget (max £20,000) but from what I can see advertised on some sites this is not too unreasonable - as everyone is aware things are tight in UK but it seems an ideal time for us to buy something to use for holidays until we hopefully retire in 5- 10 years. We would prefer 2 bedrooms but could manage at a push with 1. It's been almost 3 years since we were last in Altinkum so know things will have changed a lot.

We wouldn't be interested in an off plan development as I would be terrified incase they went bust (like so many places over here) if anyone could give us any advise it would be greatly appreciated ie areas to avoid, good estate agents or any good tips.

Should be over in September/October at the latest so plan on having a good luck around whilst on holiday.

Many thanks in advance - Michelle

Think twice of what you are doing, there is ALWAYS some problem. This is not the area to invest in. I purchased last August, and I would not do it again, in fact I would like to sell, but then I will lose to much money. And there is alway DAMP, my apartment has been damage twice this winter, and the furnitue too. And a hell lot of work.

Last edited:
Thinking Of Buying
Hi - I do expect problems we have thought long and hard about this (for the last 2 years in fact) so don't come with rose tinted glasses. That is why I asked if anyone could give us any advise - eg bad apartment blocks to avoid etc ......surely every apartment in Altinkum is not riddled with damp??????please????????? We stayed at a friends apartment on Hillside a couple of years ago and he did have a few minor damp issues when it was first build but then builders rectified this (as far as I know as haven't revisited).

Also (please don't laugh if there is no such thing) but can you get insurance for properties in Turkey like you can at home for such things as floods/accidental damage etc.

We don't expect anything fancy and grand for the money we have (just habital) and are aware of maintenace charges and a pool isn't anywhere near top of wish list as long as there is somewhere outside to sunbathe.

thanks Michelle

Peregrine

Thinking Of Buying
Watch out for maintenance costs. Some are very high fees.

good point

Three things you can easily overlook in the excitement of buying into a dream.

Damp. Buy in the winter after it has chucked it down with rain.

Hills. Fine if you’re a spring chicken but not so brilliant in retirement

Fees. £1000 a year site fees makes 3 weeks holiday a year an expensive option.

Happy hunting

very good points

Think twice of what you are doing, there is ALWAYS some problem. This is not the area to invest in. I purchased last August, and I would not do it again, in fact I would like to sell, but then I will lose to much money. And there is alway DAMP, my apartment has been damage twice this winter, and the furnitue too. And a hell lot of work.

good advice

pldouglas

Thinking Of Buying
Well that sounds like the place is pretty much condemed! Not that we would buy anywhere in Turkey again, but its interesting to hear these views - should be worthy of a poll perhaps, along the lines of 'would you do it again'.

Gin&Tonic

Thinking Of Buying
There are people in Altinkum that have had little or no problem when buying. With an attitude of "dont buy here" everybody's property will become worthless and what good will that do anybody.

There must surely be some genuine buyers amongst the TLF members that havent had any problems and these are the people that need to come on here and name the agent/builder they used.

Martyn

Thinking Of Buying
I think there are people that have had a good experience and I do find the posts saying don't buy a bit depressing but a lot of people have been ripped off.

jcrian

Thinking Of Buying
We had no problem buying two properties although it wasn't in Altinkum. Also another member had no problem buying, again two properties going down the same route using the same people for the 'buying process'.

Small deposit, Tapu within 8-10 weeks, and balance paid AFTER tapu transferred.

Gin&Tonic

Thinking Of Buying
We had no problem buying two properties although it wasn't in Altinkum. Also another member had no problem buying, again two properties going down the same route using the same people for the 'buying process'.

Small deposit, Tapu within 8-10 weeks, and balance paid AFTER tapu transferred.

That's more like it ! I've bought 2 properties here in Altinkum, an apartment with no problems at all and the agents I used I would definitely recommend. I then bought a villa and had minor irritating problems but nothing major, through an agent I probably wouldnt use again.

I dont think we're allowed to name names are we?

Sherry

Thinking Of Buying
I also bought an apartment in Altinkum to use while Yasmin Gardens in Akbuk was being built. I'm delighted to say that I am extremely happy with both of my purchases and have had excellent service from both building companies. My apartment in Altinkum is on a small complex with large shared pool and I have stayed there many times. The staff on site (security, poolboys, gardeners etc) couldn't be more helpful. When I completed the snagging list the first time I stayed there all problems were corrected promptly by the builders and I would definitely recommend them. My Tapu was issued within a few months of purchase (with the X in the right box by the way!!!), and I feel very lucky to own properties in 2 very different areas which are only 20 minutes apart.

My advice would be to buy from someone who has been recommended to you and enjoy your investment!

Sherry

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
Thinking Of Buying
We have bought twice in Altinkum. Our Initial purchase of a 3 bed semi villa went smoothly and had the Tapu within five months of moving in. Our seafront apartment purchased 10 months later - we had the Tapu by the following March. Apart from the usual snagging and minor hiccups, no problems at all. Both properties have all the correct documentation (yes with right ticks). We have been hesitant to keep on about our positive experiences because it appears now if you have had no problems and you mention this on either of the forums then you are immediately labelled an "I m alright Jack" person and we do in fact have sympathy with other peoples problems and situations but what can we actually do about if all our experiences have been positive to ourselves?

gren

Thinking Of Buying
Also (please don't laugh if there is no such thing) but can you get insurance for properties in Turkey like you can at home for such things as floods/accidental damage etc.

Yes there is but be careful. I am still awaiting the payout of a water damage claim I made with an English company called Intasure and
the jury is still out..

See the thread on this.
We will see if they are honourable..

stevecarol

Thinking Of Buying
Bet overall there are more happy purchasers than unhappy ones, its just that the people that have had a good experience dont bang on about it like them that haven't. Sorry if you have ripped off but it does not mean that all will be, Im sure that there are more good quality reliable builders and agents about now than there was 12-24 mths ago, Alot of the rouges have long gone.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom