KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Things My Dad Said 50 Years Ago
‘I never thought I’d see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.’

‘It’s too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.’

‘It won’t be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.’

‘Marriage doesn’t mean a thing any more, those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat.’

‘I’m afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.’

‘Thank goodness I won’t live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to parliament.’

‘Those take-away food places are convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.’

‘There is no sense going to London anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly £3.00 a night to stay in a descent hotel.’

‘No one can afford to be sick anymore, at £20.00 a day in a private hospital it’s too rich for my blood.’

‘If they think I’ll pay £1 for a haircut, they must be mad.

Tess

Good one KKOB, it brings back memories of things my Mum and Gran said when I was little - not 50yrs ago yet but about 40!!!

When we had the gall to turn up our nose at the food prepared, not a done thing in those days as you ate what was prepared and something in a cafe was a real treat, no running to the chippy of an evening when you forgot to leave something out of the freezer for tea, no none of that!!!

Well anyway when I said to my Mum, "I don't want that for tea"
She would of said "Ah do you not - Oh well you'll eat it before it eats you" LOL!! she put a plate over it and guess what - I ended up eating it!!!

My kids laugh when I tell them some of the things, but I don't think they were so bad - most of them anyway!!

I think lots of things we done years ago make us the folks we are today, and many times when I embark upon things and lose direction I think back to my youth and call upon things we were taught and find my direction again.

I am not saying those were the better days and these are bad ones but I do think we were easier pleased and didn't have the same bewildering choices!

bobthenob

Non Active Member
l remember when my "Maah" said to me when l was only knee high while sitting at the dinner table."Son"!.Yes "MaaH",l said.Now eat up all your dinner,because people in Africa are starving,"OK",MaaH,l said.

Then l thought about it after a few hours[that's right,l didn't spark as fast,due to a lack of greens],and said to MaaH."Hey" Mah,Them people in Africa that are starving.lf we are told to eat all our dinner up,doesn't that mean they will get thinner,and l will get fatter.
Don't complicate things she said.

Last edited:

Bubskar

‘I never thought I’d see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.’

‘It’s too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.’

‘It won’t be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.’

‘Marriage doesn’t mean a thing any more, those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat.’

‘I’m afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.’

‘Thank goodness I won’t live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to parliament.’

‘Those take-away food places are convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.’

‘There is no sense going to London anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly £3.00 a night to stay in a descent hotel.’

‘No one can afford to be sick anymore, at £20.00 a day in a private hospital it’s too rich for my blood.’

‘If they think I’ll pay £1 for a haircut, they must be mad.

What Gems - they made me reflect on my parents' observations of life back inthe 50s - 60s and it made me smile. I don't know about you but I do the same thing sometimes especially about the price of things. Can't seem to move on where that's concerned. My mother thought that decimalisation was the biggest crime perpetrated by the British Government to raise prices of goods. Such as bread - 6p for a loaf turned into 2 shillings. I guess the next generation will be laughing at us. Frightening where it will all end really - glad I won't be around

EVELYNNE

evelynne
The one that sticks in my mind is Dad saying "Petrol will never be a £1 a gallon, people just won;t put up with it"

I often wonder what he would think of it all today .

Latest Posts

Top Bottom