Akasya

Postless Pointer
Things I hate about Turkey
As I sit on my lovely balcony , looking out over the sea and islands I am assailed by stinking cigarette smoke.

Every and anywhere Turks compulsively chain smoke ,restaurants are the worst , you can only pity the poor kids, their poor developing lungs poisoned by their selfish , ignorant parents.

But I love nearly everything else.

Steve

ted j

I went into a local bar/restaurant on Friday night , I was saving seats for the rest of the family who were still getting ready
The bar has an inside area fronted by glass doors and an "outside" area with a steel framework and canvas and bendy perspex like sides

Considering that all winter the owner had forbidden smoking in both areas and had actually put an old oil drum outside as a brazier to keep the smokers warm, I was amazed that although he'd rolled up the sides of the "tent", there were 3 people fagging it inside ..this is while other people were eating too , so I paid for my drink and left , went back home and we went somewhere else

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
...but then there are the wonderful things, some of them unexpected. Last week I went into starbucks as I needed a coffee. the barista welcomed me ( I have been in a few times and am one of the few foreigners in town who can speak Turkish). He took my order but would not accept payment, he said it was because he was feeling good'.

10 minutes before this the chap in the car park had suggeseted that I buy a lottery ticket. now when you are at the barrier trying to pay you wonder why he would say this. Then it dawned on me that he was referring to the pile of bird sh1t on the roof (swallows' nest in car port). A free coffee will do just as well.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Almost every restaurant and business has a no smoking sign prominently displayed.

You might try politely asking the offending smokers to move outside and point the the signs forbidding smoking.

If that does not work, then approach the manager/owner and ask them to tell them to move.

If that does not work, then find the Zabita and ask them to tell the owner they are in violation of the law and to tell the offenders to move.

If that does not work, empty your automatic rifle or 9mm into the place, tell them you are an American, and that is how things are done there. :loco:

Last edited:

ted j

I thought of telling the owner M E, as it's not my problem to tell the offending people and probably get abuse , but I have a sneaking feeling he would just say the area is outside because the awning sides are up
Down on the front they all have the same make of slide back roof and I know some bars there roll the roof back a little and then class it as outside
We went to one place a few weeks back which has a good reputation for food....thankfully we'd already eaten as they had an open kitchen and there for all to see was the owner's wife, fag in gob, rolling pancakes out . Needless to say we wont be going back

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Laws that don`t suit are there to be ignored. Smokers are the worst.....

kibris

People stıll smoke ınsıde ın certaın bars ın kusadasi but at the moment theyre desperate for customers whether smoker or not.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
People stıll smoke ınsıde ın certaın bars ın kusadasi but at the moment theyre desperate for customers whether smoker or not.

See the owner, tell them that you live there all year round but will not be back if smoking is allowed in non smoking areas. If he is not interested then don't go back, vote with your feet.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
If smoking in public places is the worst thing anyone can come up with then maybe I should think about coming back again :noidea:

Its a heinous crime Jaycey, :noidea: Smoking in public that is.....

ted j

Not only smoking....THE worst driving in the world I've ever seen ...today alone not one but 2 little old Turkish ladies caused complete gridlock by not knowing anything about how to drive
Two days ago we were shopping in Migros , came out and started loading the shopping onto the bike when some d1ckhead pulled up right behind me and BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPED
We both ignored the tosser and got on the bike , then guestured to him that if he wanted my space he would have to back up TO LET US OUT AS HE'D BLOCKED US IN!!

Considering that I have to provide a secondary school leaving certificate to some tosser in Aydin who makes his own rules up, I might just ask one of the two 12 year olds who dumped rubbish near us last week who they bribed
I now fight back and scream obscenities at anyone who cuts me up....(they all seem to understand the middle finger better than two fingers )

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom