ceemac

Shake It Baby...
They Have To Be Kidding?
A couple of things got me going about this story. Surely someone convicted of such a serious crime could not be allowed to serve in Turkey's military?

The other thing that had me thinking 'you have to be joking' was his own remarks where he said it was against his religious and philosophical beliefs to bear arms?? This from the man who shot the Pope! Weird weird story...

'Mehmet Ali Ağca, the gunman who shot and wounded Pope John Paul II and killed Turkish journalist Abdi İpekçi, is set to be released from prison today and will undergo a physical examination at the Gülhane Military Academy of Medicine (GATA) to assess his fitness for military service.'

Here

C

Here's a probably 'more correct' version of this story from Hurriyet Daily News.

This guy is a complete headcase by the sound of it!

C

Last edited by a moderator:

geordie_nev

They Have To Be Kidding?
During the 70’s he was a very prominent/active member of the Grey Wolves, a very shady, ultra-rightwing underground organisation which helped destabilise Turkey which lead to the 1980 Military coup. Although he was initially trained by a left-wing Palestinian group.

Agreed, a complete nutter.

Last edited:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
They Have To Be Kidding?
It does raise an interesting issue on whether Turkish citizens with convictions for certain serious offences can or still have to do military service?

C

TheTurk

They Have To Be Kidding?
Nope. Its not a joke :)

The Turkish Military functions differently, its probably one of the most secretive on earth. Chances are if the deep state wants him, nobody can really stop him :)

Lets just hope I dont get deployed with him as we would most likely have problems aha.

By the way, who knows maybe in prison this guy became über religious and has decided to make peace with everyone or something, but that still doesnt explain his military fitness thing ^^

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom