Maisie

Thermometer Mystery
In an idle moment (!) I turned a thermometer upside down to see what would happen. Can anyone tell me why the liquid inside does not run down through gravity? It appears to be still functioning normally and is showing the correct room temperature. The liquid inside it is red. Maisie

jcrian

Thermometer Mystery
I think you will find the empty space above the red liquid is a vacuum so that air pressure will not affect the expansion and contraction as the temperature changes.

juco

Thermometer Mystery
The liquid is alcohol and has a vacuum in the tube, therefore its the expansion of the liquid that shows the rise & fall of the liquid governed by temperature.
Regardless of whether right way up or upside down it will still expand at the same rate to monitor temperature. Due to the small diameter of the tube surface tension of the liquid will hold the liquid in place.
It is only when the weight of the liquid is greater than the `surface tension` will the liquid move to the bottom of the tube when upside down.
If you look closely at the surface of a liquid in a small diameter tube you will see that it is curved and not straight across the surface, this is due to `surface tension`

Last edited:

juco

Thermometer Mystery
In other words it's magic.

Nope perfectly logical.

Its the same principal for bubbles, its the surface tension that allows them to form, otherwise you would just get a drop of water.

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Thermometer Mystery
Bubbles are fairy rainbow magic, when a bubble is caught in the sunlight you can see its made from the same stuff as rainbows, fairies make rainbows, rainbows are also magic, therefor bubbles are fairy rainbow magic. I bet you don't believe in Santa either.

Surface tension, just a phrase made up by the manufacturers and advertisers of Phensic.

Steve.

Thermometer Mystery
Here is another MYSTERY.In the Northern Hemisphere water,when going down the plughole,travels in a CLOCKWISE direction.In the Southern Hemisphere it travels in an ANTICLOCKWISE direction.Here,in DIDIM we seem to have a slight contradiction to this rule.Here the water takes on a life and rule of its own.Very often the water will reverse itself and travel in BOTH directionsWhen I pointed this out to a few people they were very scornful of my observation but they tried it out themselves.Lo and behold, I was proved right.
A few months ago,an article appeared in VOICES by an American scientist who said that This particular area had an unusual magnetic field which contributed to your wellbeing.Maybe thats the reason,No wonder we never know wether to turn RIGHT or LEFT when shopping?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom