icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Then and now...old and new ?????
Should I bother ? of course I should....I think.......

There is a programme on T.V. tonight about the reason why the "Mary Rose" sank. I tried to get my Grand -Daughter interested and told her that in 1982 (ithink it was) kept her mum home from school to watch on T.V. the raising of the Mary Rose, because it was such an historic event.

She has just replied that "No mums had today let their children stay at home to go and see the latest Harry Potter film.!!!!! and that is good parenting !!!!!!!

Have I lost the battle ??

McDHibs

lesley

I think you just lost a round, stick in and come back fighting history means nothing to the young, we have all been there, but I bet she will remember the day MJ died as we do with Diana and JFK.

Mike

val2661

I've always been interested in history and when my oldest grandson was 9, decided to spend the summer taking him to museums in London (we lived 65 miles away). We went to all the major museums and some of the minor ones and I knew it was well worth the aching feet, when as we left the Imperial War Museum (which he loved), he turned and said to me "Nan, museums are really cool aren't they?". Keep at it Lesley.

Val

Martyn

I used to take my sons to the History and Science Museums in London every couple of years of so when they were young. Initially they wanted to 'play' with the handles on some on the exhibits(the ones you are allowed to) but after a while they became interested in what they were all about. I haven't been for over 20 years but you've just reminded me about them and i endeavor to get my grandson to go.

maggie

I must admit Im not really interested in History I do find it a bit boring.

What did interest me tho was when I was little I used to sit at my dear old Grandpops feet while he told me stories of the Boar War.He told me they used to make Bully Beef stew and how the natives as he called them came for miles for a bowl of his stew.

When I first got with Nik his Dad showed me some pictures of his time in Malaysia they were head hunting.!! They were each given a camera to take pictures of the heads.The funny thing is the date of the picture was the day I was born.21.08,1952.

Hugs Maggie xxx

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Maggie, You have brought back memories of my fathers stories when I was a child and for my children when they were young. He also served in malaysia but before the 2nd world war. I loved those stories and it is my dream to go to Malaya and sumatra to see for myself what he was talking about.

My children still talk about his army stories . I never was much interested in history but life stories are all part of it, so we all learn something of our past one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

maggie

Nik and I have actually been to Malaysia and it was strange when we went into a place called Batu caves to think 50 plus years ago his Dad also went there.

Yes life stories told by our Grandparents and parents are so much easier to relate to than all those schools history books.
I have a lovelley set of old black and white photos including one with my Grandpops and Winston Churchill,and pictures of Queen Alice and Queen Victoria.

As a previous post yes I suspect todays children will remember the death of Michael Jackson as we did ,Elvis,John Lennon,Marilyn Monroe and JFK.
Hugs Maggie xxx

For some time now my Grandson, Brandon, (7) has had an interest and fascination with the Romans and active volcanoes. This morning my wife, Jean, promised to take him to Italy, when he was 12 and old enough to appreciate and share in some of the historic experiences we enjoyed over there a few years ago.

He had a bit of a think then asked if we wouldn`t mind taking him when he was 10 as we may not be around when he reaches 12..........

Latest Posts

Top Bottom