bobthenob

Non Active Member
The Turkish Diet
There is one thing l do love about the Turkish diet,is their love for eating seeds.l often see them sitting along the front eating a bag of seeds.lt is quite interesting to watch them eat on how the way they open up the seed pod to expose the seed inside.With one gulp and it’s gone and of to open another straight away as they chuck the seed pods on the ground.l spoke to one Turkish guy and he said he can get through 60 in one minute.

He showed me how it was done with the minimum of effort,quite an art to it.l eventually managed to get through 10 in one minute.And then it struck me,where l started to laugh.lt reminded me of a couple of birds perched on the bench pecking at the seeds,with the evidence of the empty cases on the ground,does have the characteristics of birds eating.

The goodness in these seeds are beneficial to one’s diet and well being.

The sunflower seed is packed with all sorts of healthy vitamins,which aids in lowering the serum in the cholesterol,and helps prevent cancer from forming.
The Turkish also seem to have a love for the seeds in the pine cones,which l thought were palatable for the squirrels only.
Just wondered how others view the eating habits in Turkey to the eating habit in the western world

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
The Turkish Diet
Isn't it a pity though that they just leave all the seed husks laying wherever they drop. Pretty much like the rest of their rubbish. :doh:

Firebrand

The Turkish Diet
My kids were deeply impressed that their auntie taught them how to spit the husks out - not only was it considered a great skill, but it 'legalised' spitting by an adult.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
The Turkish Diet
l know that discarding the husks on the ground does show a no respect attitude to the environment.But at least it's biodegradable,where the other rubbish they discard are not.Deliberate smashing of bottles on the ground seems to be a problem here and contributes to a lot of injuries to the people and the animals.

A diet of a daily intake of seeds is worth considering,since it does benefits one health.
The seeds of the watermelons l mainly throw away when l have finished eating the melon.l was wondering if their are any way of preparing the watermelon seed for consumption.

Can you eat them raw or do you need to roast them first.

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
The Turkish Diet
Hubbie has for the past few weeks been taking Linseed Oil seeds. He sprinkles some on everything he eats .Due to him taking Morphine etc. everyday, he was constipated all the time. Now, he swears by the stuff, says he feels great and not bloated all the time.

Jeannie

bobthenob

Non Active Member
The Turkish Diet
This webpage explains the benefits of seed eating

Eating Seeds : Disease Proof

Of course there are the many seeds that can have a damaging effect on one’s health.The morning glory flower grown in our gardens looks harmless enough.But the seeds from the morning glory is being abused from the teenagers using them as a substitute for LSD.When the seeds are chewed,the effects will take an hour to get a high.

This has resulted in the one’s that are taking these seeds to have mental disorders,spaced out looks,anxiety attacks,moody,and hard to think clearly.Later can lead to severe depression.

What we consume does have it hidden dangers and can cause irreversible harm if we ignore these warnings.But the seeds with health benefits do far out way the one’s that are dangerous.lt’s knowing which one’s to eat.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
The Turkish Diet
I buy the sunflower seeds already de husked, my cockatiel Caspar loves them, but I do eat them on salads etc, I also buy the seeded brown breads. What I do note about the Turks is the amount of nuts they love to eat, esp Almonds and Hazelnuts, whenever we are in their company nuts + fruits are always plentiful on the table. I agree that they are very good for you, and have tended to eat nuts regularly for quite a while, in moderation, of course, as they are also high in calories.

Firebrand

The Turkish Diet
Something else that I have seen people eating as a snack, but only in the south east of Turkey, is chick peas. They buy a branch from a street vendor and pick off the raw chick peas to eat. It took me quite a while to work out what it was that they were. (I suspect that it is something of an acquired taste.)

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
The Turkish Diet
When they're in season you can buy them in Fethiye too.

I can't say that I'm a great fan of them.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
The Turkish Diet
I developed a bit of a phobia about seed munching - after too many occasions sat with a room full of inlaws going at it like parrots on speed!!

geordie_nev

The Turkish Diet
I remember when I used to go to Turkey as a kid one of the only things you could buy on the beach was Sunflower heads. A bloke would turn up on his tractor and a trailer and sell the freshly cut heads, the kids would run up to it like it was an ice cream van. Maybe they still do it on some beaches? So I managed to learn the technique of spliting them open with my teeth at an early age.

One of my American friends who went to Princeton University told me once that everybody there used to eat sunflower seeds just before an exam as they are good for the brain.

Like a lot of super foods they seem to be really popular here in London these days, loads of people seem to eat the of Doctor Food tubs, whether it does them any good or not I wouldn’t know. Personally I would still prefer the fresh ones off the back of a tractor.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom