bickern

The Last Post
The sound of a lone bugler playing the Last Post has become one of the most distinctive sounds in the world. Eerie and evocative, it exists beyond all the usual barriers of nation, religion, race and class, charged with the memory of generations of the fallen. But it wasn't always like this.

The Last Post was first published in the 1790s, just one of the two dozen or so bugle calls sounded daily in British Army camps.

"At that time soldiers didn't have wristwatches, so they had to be regulated in camp," says Colin Dean, archivist at the Museum of Army Music in Kneller Hall. "They had to have a trumpet call or a bugle call to tell them when to get up, when to have their meals, when to fetch the post, when to get on parade, when to go to bed and all other things throughout the day."

The soldier's day started with the call of Reveille, and came to a close with the First Post. This indicated that the duty officer was commencing his inspection of the sentry-posts on the perimeter of the camp. The inspection would take about 30 minutes, and at the end there would be sounded the Last Post, the name referring simply to the fact that the final sentry-post had been inspected. For decades this was the sole use of the call, a signal that the camp was now secure for the night, closed till morning.

It was not until the 1850s that another role began to emerge. It was an era when many military bandsmen, and most bandmasters, were civilians and were under no obligation to accompany their regiments on overseas postings. So when a soldier died in a foreign land, there was often no music available to accompany him on his final journey. And, necessity being the mother of invention, a new custom arose of charging the regimental bugler to sound the Last Post over the grave.

The symbolism was simple and highly effective. The Last Post now signalled the end not merely of the day but of this earthly life. And, as the practice developed - back home now as well as abroad - it was then followed by few moments of silent prayer and by the sounding of Reveille, the first call of the day, to signify the man's rebirth into eternal life.

A further dimension was added in the first years of the 20th Century. The end of the Boer War saw the rise of war memorials across the country, some 600 of them. This was a break with the past. The traditional British way of commemorating a victory was to erect a statue to the general or the commander. But these monuments listed the names of the dead, both officers and other ranks, the men the Duke of Wellington was said to have called "the scum of the earth".

There was a new mood of democracy abroad and the war memorials reflected this. And every time a memorial was unveiled, it was to the sound of the Last Post being played, now the symbol not only of death but of remembrance.

HG Wells said [World War One] was 'a people's war', and the Last Post became the people's anthem

The story of the Last Post - BBC News

eliza

The Last Post
The Duke of Wellington also said
"Nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won", I certainly agree with him there ...

TNT123

To Young to be This Old
The Last Post
Always thought the Last Post ıs brıllıant.Went to a funeral a few years ago and the last post was played by the Bagpıpes,blow me away.The Last Post ın the fılm Amerıcan Snıper came a very close second.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89JksuXjCn4"]American Sniper The Funeral Extended - YouTube[/ame]

martin m

The Last Post
Being a ex squaddie in the Royal Green Jackets I had the pleasure of being serenaded every evening at 2200Hrs by the duty Bugler, and though I would have liked to post one of them doing that I came across this and thoroughly enjoyed it.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLlrWIQGTVA"]The Last Post (il silencio with Andre Reiu) - YouTube[/ame]
martin

evo80

The Last Post
heard a sad story from WW1 from my neighbour . his great grandfather went right through from 1914 to end of war in 1918 . He was due to go home from France and they asked if anyone was willing to stay on for couple of weeks tidying up graveyards for the fallen . Not long after while helping clear a graveyard he stepped on a land mine and was killed outright ,and the war was over .

Saoirse

The Last Post
Terrible

I too had a great great Uncle killed in such unlucky and tragic circumstances outside of actual war.

He was killed at Rorkes Drift by the Zulus

He wasn't even in the army. He was camping in the next field and went over to complain about the noise!!!

martin m

The Last Post
Hi.
Anyone can believe this or not I really dont care, when I posted my earlier post on this thread saying I would have liked to have posted a video of a RGJ bugler playing the last post, I did not do that because of Phillip (Saoirse), I felt he would not have been able to let it pass without some kind of retribution because he always does when the British Army are concerned, so I posted a different video, which I stumbled across whilst looking for, and deciding against the RGJ one.
I didn't mind it was no big deal, it was a thread started on the 11/11(remembrance) and why spoil it with petty crap.
so to revisit the thread and read a post by Evo80 that was perfectly fitting, and discover that laddo had done his usual childish thing again sickens me, that's it done.

dodgydave

The Last Post
Most posters on here complain about PC behaviour, then when someone acts in a non-PC way, but one that doesn't coincide with your world view, you complain

Hilsjw

The Last Post
Dodgydave. I take your point however Remembrace Day the 11th November most people think that day is a sad one with so very many families during both world wars losing loved ones. Please remember too that we are also thinking about those killed in very recent conflicts. We have two children in the Armed Forces & both of them have lost dear friends so the 11th means a great deal to them, & to us.

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
The Last Post
Hi.
Anyone can believe this or not I really dont care, when I posted my earlier post on this thread saying I would have liked to have posted a video of a RGJ bugler playing the last post, I did not do that because of Phillip (Saoirse), I felt he would not have been able to let it pass without some kind of retribution because he always does when the British Army are concerned, so I posted a different video, which I stumbled across whilst looking for, and deciding against the RGJ one.
I didn't mind it was no big deal, it was a thread started on the 11/11(remembrance) and why spoil it with petty crap.
so to revisit the thread and read a post by Evo80 that was perfectly fitting, and discover that laddo had done his usual childish thing again sickens me, that's it done.

Sometimes Martin its wrong to change what you would of wanted to do because of a cyber bully ..... as seen on other threads he is allowed to disrupt TLF insult members that aren't conscribed to the world of Saoirse.

You should and I believe quite rightly be proud of your armed forces and thier contribution in a fight ,that allows people like him now thier right to free speech which he abuses in nasty ways .

From what I saw online the UK remembrance day and its symbolism is still intact and celebrated by most with the deepest respect as it should and around the Commonwealth ...

I wont be answering in any regard to this post so it doesn't descend into another hijacked thread for some ones benefit .

Normally Bill of Bill and June posts something on this day he is missed by his absence and his post ,hope everything is OK no answer from pms ......

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFy520aZoI"]2016 Remembrance Day Parade - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

TNT123

To Young to be This Old
The Last Post
Terrible

I too had a great great Uncle killed in such unlucky and tragic circumstances outside of actual war.

He was killed at Rorkes Drift by the Zulus

He wasn't even in the army. He was camping in the next field and went over to complain about the noise!!!

What a complete and utter arseh*** you are.Shame on you.

Saoirse

The Last Post
Oh for god sake get over yourself
There's not one word of disrespect in what is an old Manning gag almost as old as the Zulu war itself.

You're the type that finds Blackadder WW1 episodes offensive and get irate if someone doesn't wear a poppy

It's this Remembrance mania, together with poppy facism that many these days find such a turn off. In WW2 especially men died for freedom of expression.

The idea thesedays that everyone MUST pay respects in a certain manner runs totally contrary to the ideals of personal freedom that were being fought for.

It has reached farcical proportions in some cases

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...enough-at-Cenotaph-on-Remembrance-Sunday.html

As I say get over yourself

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...know-that-they-mock-the-war-dead-6257416.html

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom