ceemac

Shake It Baby...
The Jealous 'Told You So' Brigade
Here's an illuminating article that seems to say it all about the attitude of a lot of British people towards those who do well in life or are 'go for it' types.

Have those of you living in Turkey ever faced this kind of 'sniping', jealousy, or barely concealed satisfaction when things go wrong for you?

C

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
I can remember recently being at a social function and a couple of those present had properties in France and Spain.

I was telling them about our place in Turkey and that I was a bit disappointed at how Turkey had turned out for us so far.

One of them (who didn't own abroad) made a told you so type of remark and a couple of the others round the table were nodding their heads in agreement. The people who were kind of smirking (in my opinion), were purely acquaintences, not good friends, but it does exist and the article I posted just reminded me of that fact.

As someone said though 'who cares' - I personally thought it was an interesting article.

C

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Ceemac it was me who said who cares.

Nobody, Steve.

Who cares ?

Bibby

Ferretbrain
I know we have friends who thought Turkey was a dodgy place to go on holiday, let alone live. So, I know they'd be the first to go down the "Told you so, route" if things went wrong.

I suppose as soon as you do something a bit daring you are putting your head above the parapet. It seems to be human nature to sit back and criticise the go-getters. Nothing you or I can do about it. Irritating, but that's life.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
I know people who are like that - have felt the undercurrent. But also a lot of people were pretty supportive when we returned to the UK. Usually their reaction was 'why on earth did you come back?' and openly expressed longing to live abroad themselves.

Tess

I think there are always those who revel in folks misfortune, the same folks are also reluctant to praise when the need be.

butt007

Warren
I had my own business and when I told my customers that I was retiring and going to live in Turkey where I had bought an apartment, I was surprised by some peoples reactions "Oh my god, are'nt you brave" was typical, although others said they were really jealous, but we love it!
Warren

when my cousin got ripped off here and had to go back the uk he was really worried what his friends would say.I told him they are not your real friends then if they critize you.He was wrong they all give him an helping hand and now 3 yrs later hes back on track..

Bibby

Ferretbrain
I hope I am never in a position to find out what my friends would say if we HAD to go back. We will have to see how things go. But if we did go back, BOY what an adventure we've had here! I am loving it

Akasya

Postless Pointer
One of many Soo, chuckle, glad to hear from you.

take care, Steve.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom