Robert

The flag
I was talking to a young Turkish Friend who speaks reasonable English and I happened to mention that I remembered hearing of someone who had been given a prison sentence for disrespecting the Turkish flag.
He said to me , do you know about our flag, I said no tell me.
He told me that after a big battle with many killed, a Turkish General was inspecting the battle field. It was night time and it had been raining heavily during the day.The general looked down and saw that the blood of the fallen soidiers had mixed with the rain to form scarlet pools. It was a clear night and in theese pools the general saw the reflection of the moon and a bright star. He said , our flag is not a peice of cloth it is far more to us.
I thought of the many times I had watched the news in England and seen demonstraters burning the Union Jack with the police stood by watching.
It just wound not happen that someone would be sent to prison in England for such an act.
I dont realy know if there is a point to this post, but that young man, telling me that story with such obvious emotion had an effect on me.so I thought I would share it with you.

The flag
The most accepted legend of the flag in Turkey is that in a pool of blood of Turkish warriors, there was a reflection of the crescent moon and a star. The three popular versions of this legend are:

1. In the year 1071, after the Battle of Manzikert and the defeat of the Byzantine army, the Seljuk Khan, Alp Arslan was roaming the battlefield where he saw the reflection of the crescent moon and the star on a pool of blood of Turkish warriors. After he saw this image, he decided that this would be the flag representing the Turks.
2. After the Battle of Kosovo on June 28, 1389, Murad I was assassinated and on that night there was a unique moment of Jupiter and the Moon next to each other. If one considers this sight on a pool of blood, the current structure of the Turkish flag can be seen easily. One problem with this theory is that the Battle of Kosovo actually took place over a month earlier - on the 15th of June in the Julian Calendar (23rd of June in the Proleptic Gregorian Calendar).
3. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the modern Republic of Turkey, walking on a battlefield one night after a victorious battle in the Turkish War of Independence, saw the reflection of the star and crescent formation in a large pool of blood on the rocky hill terrain of Sakarya. However, the present-day red flag with a white crescent and star was already in use since 1844, so this version of the legend can't be true.

Other legends:

* A dream of the first Ottoman Emperor in which a crescent and star appeared from his chest and expanded, presaging the dynasty's seizure of Constantinople.
* A crescent and star were spotted on the night of the fall of Constantinople to Mehmed II in 1453.

A number of Western scholars, on the other hand, have favoured the theory that the star and crescent were the symbols of Constantinople (present-day Istanbul), and the Turks adopted these symbols following their conquest of the city in 1453.

According to this theory, the crescent was the symbol of ancient Byzantion, which was founded by the Megaran settlers led by King Byzas in 667 BC and dedicated to Artemis, the goddess of hunt, whose symbol was the crescent. The star of Virgin Mary, or a Greek cross depicted like a star, on the other hand, was added next to the original crescent in the city's coat of arms after Christianity became the official state religion of the Roman Empire with the First Council of Nicaea in 325 AD and the First Council of Constantinople in 381 AD.

essie

The flag
We came to Turkey 22 years ago and the moon and the stars always sustained us whilst we eagerly awaited our next trip out. We could look up and be transported in a blink of an eye....Now we have lived here for 13 years, it now sustains our family in our absence. The Turkish flag...the Turkish sky....is the one common denominator which links us to our family.They look up and if they are fortunate to live in an area where the moon and stars can be seen, I know they think of Turkey and of me.The sky represents Turkey and of the place I have made my Home. I am proud to display my Turkish Flag (and my UK Flag)......I am proud to live in turkey and live along side people who are like minded ...x

GnD

The flag
Superbly put Essie. Have to say my affection for the Turkish flag means I smile everytime I see it and I too try to be proud of the UK one, really don't like dumbing down of it in some uses.

BTW I mean UK - but not at the cost of the others!!!! but I love the build of the "Union" Jack coming together. Please let's this not now get political I am hung over.

zurna

The flag
paintings from Ottoman Emperor

bayrakdogususg5.jpg

t.jpg

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
The flag
I think the Turkish Flag is lovely -- I always wear my necklace with the star and moon
to represent the flag !
I wonder just how many kids( or adults ) would know about our British flag ? or the meaning of St George"s Day etc - or in fact ANYTHING about our country !!

pembelu

The flag
i remember my husband trying to tell me one of the stories about the flag whilst we were at the top of a mountain looking down on marmaris one evening, it made me think at no time was the british flag explained to me by anyone. My earliest memories were that the flag and the queen were one of the same thing. thats why i never took interest and saw it as distant to my life and my reality and ideals.It was also (coming from a football mad family...also some mildly racist) connected to fights, neighbouring differences and the different ideas about unity, class, race or religion. i cant recal a time i ever thought people close to me felt united or proud of thier history.i was far too busy being interested in the world flags and other places than remembering the history of my own country....cant explain it but i guess if i knew from childhood i was pretty much stuck with my own country (due to money or visa troubles) wouldnt it be natural to be proud and presume its my country for life as well as knowing generations have lived nearby or in the same country. I didnt ever feel this, it almost seemed my destiny to leave the UK and any feelings i have about it behind as i left.
sounds horrible but maybe my history lessons were boring...!? or maybe knowing my distant roots came also from outside the Uk affected this result.

carolk

R.I.P
The flag
I think the Turkish Flag is lovely -- I always wear my necklace with the star and moon
to represent the flag !
I wonder just how many kids( or adults ) would know about our British flag ? or the meaning of St George"s Day etc - or in fact ANYTHING about our country !!

Its all banned isn't it? Don't we Brits cause offense to the masses for being patriotic!!!! How many things cant we do? To be honest, it pisses me off so much that I cant be bothered to list them.

Hail to all the other countries who can show their patriotism that the Brits seem to love anywhere but the UK!!!

pembelu

The flag
home is where the heart is so its easy for me to share my husbands patriotism thats true and when so many turks break out into song or poetry its hard not to feel emotional listening,plus red is a very stimulating colour! But without wanting to sound a right hippy i wonder if there will ever be a world flag that represents the fact we all one day will have the same problems (if we dont already) and need to be proud of us all surviving on this planet.ok ive lost the plot now...i should stick to just reading posts not adding!must be those appocoliptic dreams ive been having and anyway were we not just tribes in the past, country didnt matter, no doubt i still would have walked or swam to find a new one and got some tatoo to prove it or wore something in my hair to represent my chosen tribe, i find trying to talk the lingo is as good as showing your proud to be where you are not always were you came from.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
The flag
I always flew the St George flag in UK as did my next door neighbour. We were asked politely once by the local council to take it down and we told them, politely, to go away.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom