zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
the 'evil eye'......
do you believe in this tradition.......

pebble

the 'evil eye'......
yes I do......
I wear one on a necklace, and i recently had it tatooed on my arm...lol

Look, I will tell you something funny about this tradition.....

in turkey when a baby is born, they immediately put an evil eye on him/her.

We were in the states when I had my first baby, and my in laws sent a package with baby stuff and of course the evil eye, well, i never bothered to put one on.....
then when my baby was about 1 year old, he was diagnosed with cerebral palsy, and when I told my in laws, my mother in law said, well he isnt wearing an eliv eye is he? what do you expect...........

old traditions/belliefs die hard.......

zuberdust

the 'evil eye'......
yes I do......
I wear one on a necklace, and i recently had it tatooed on my arm...lol

Look, I will tell you something funny about this tradition.....

in turkey when a baby is born, they immediately put an evil eye on him/her.

We were in the states when I had my first baby, and my in laws sent a package with baby stuff and of course the evil eye, well, i never bothered to put one on.....
then when my baby was about 1 year old, he was diagnosed with cerebral palsy, and when I told my in laws, my mother in law said, well he isnt wearing an eliv eye is he? what do you expect...........

old traditions/belliefs die hard.......
u know i always enjoy ur stories!!! youd be a good person to have a conversation with...
evil eye is not just turkish, its islamic belife, we call it the 'nazur' = the look
when some1 admires sumthing so much and has a fraction of envy or jelousy to it, then if they possess the power, they will unknowingly 'curse' the person.....
turks use the 'evil eye symbol'
some use - the hand of Fathima to repell the power

my culture we use black eye liner or anything black to repell it, be it a black dot on the side of a beautifull childs face or on eyes.....

Number6

the 'evil eye'......
Versions of the Nazar charm go back well beyond Islam, they were common in ancient greece, examples can be seen on drinking vessels dating from the 6th century BC.
It also apears in Ancient Egyptian, North African and Indian history. Evil eye charms also are commonly seen painted on Mediteranian fishing boats especialy in Malta.

Last edited:

EVELYNNE

evelynne
the 'evil eye'......
I remember when my daughter was just 16 she started her apprenticeship in a First Choice shop in Dover. One day a cruise ship was in with a turkish crew. One crew member came in to change money and chatted to my daughter. Some hours later he returned to the shop with " a eye" pendant wishing her good luck.

She thought it was very frightening and thought he had cursed her, even though she had been so helpful to him.

It wasn't until we came to turkey to buy our apartment that she understood the relevance of the eye and how it really was used as a good luck charm and not as she thought a curse.

Dellol

the 'evil eye'......
Not sure if I believe it or not, but I think it's a lovely tale. Like most people we have one at our door, we also have one at our door at home and a few around the house. When we got married last year, I wore one inside my dress as my 'something blue', to me it was also my lucky charm.....

Carnsoreboxer

Carnsoreboxer
the 'evil eye'......
Since my first visit to Turkey in 1995 I have worn and believed in this, not sure why think it was because a local man, not a shop or restaurant owner, introduced me to it and he looked so honest and caring.

Wouldn't be without one, even have one on my golf bag to give the opposition "the evil eye" ha ha

Number6

the 'evil eye'......
Have had mine since a visit to Istanbul 1995, it's a small eye on a gold chain, I've never been without it and the few times I've removed I've felt strangely naked.
Weird eh?

Bubskar

the 'evil eye'......
In the last four months I have had some big time "nazur" on my newly acquired car. I have had two damaged tyres and also I backed into a high curb (although very gently) and there is a crack in my back bumper. When my friend Onder helped me with changing one of the tyres I mentioned to him that I thought the car was jinxed and that I wasn't meant to have it. He told me about nazur and said someone close had been admiring my car and wanted to buy it. He said from now on I should speak to my car when getting into it saying it is a sh....ty horrible car!! :42mb: So this is what I do now but feel a little stupid!

zuberdust

the 'evil eye'......
In the last four months I have had some big time "nazur" on my newly acquired car. I have had two damaged tyres and also I backed into a high curb (although very gently) and there is a crack in my back bumper. When my friend Onder helped me with changing one of the tyres I mentioned to him that I thought the car was jinxed and that I wasn't meant to have it. He told me about nazur and said someone close had been admiring my car and wanted to buy it. He said from now on I should speak to my car when getting into it saying it is a sh....ty horrible car!! :42mb: So this is what I do now but feel a little stupid!

same thing happned to my sisters new car, she spent alot of money on it yet had not any type of 'Talisman' to protect it, so she has soo many bumbs etc... on it, then one nught her licence plates got stolen, my dad was annoyed at her recklessness, she had it repaired but he hung a tiny mini quran in the car..... its been fine since!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom