Chasey

The EU going forward
Close what border & where??

Now when I drove out across Europe to Turkey a couple of months ago I clearly remember borders? Border security? The need for paperwork?

First Border was France.

Then a 4-hour delay getting into Serbia

Then Bulgaria

Then Turkey

So if we can have borders there? Then why not elsewhere

The EU going forward
Now when I drove out across Europe to Turkey a couple of months ago I clearly remember borders? Border security? The need for paperwork?

First Border was France.

Then Bulgaria

Then Turkey

You surprise me

First Border was France.

Then Bulgaria

Then Turkey

Do you mean internal hard borders across the EU?
Serbia is not an EU member & Bulgaria is an external EU border with Turkey. Appreciating that at the moment border controls may vary due to Covid.
Of course Chasey, borders are not just one road in and out of a country.......there's fields and seas, there lies the problems.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
The EU going forward

Polish court rules that EU laws incompatible with its constitution​

Extract:
Poland’s constitutional court has ruled that some European Union laws are in conflict with the country’s constitution, in a serious challenge to a key tenet of European integration.

The constitutional tribunal ruled that some provisions of the EU treaties and some EU court rulings go against Poland’s highest law. Two judges dissented from the majority opinion.

The ruling will define the future of Poland’s already troubled relationship with the 27-member bloc in the key area of law and justice.

The EU going forward

Note the 5 criteria points that Turkey hasn't yet met/probably will never meet

The EU going forward

Polish court rules that EU laws incompatible with its constitution​

Extract:
Poland’s constitutional court has ruled that some European Union laws are in conflict with the country’s constitution, in a serious challenge to a key tenet of European integration.

The constitutional tribunal ruled that some provisions of the EU treaties and some EU court rulings go against Poland’s highest law. Two judges dissented from the majority opinion.

The ruling will define the future of Poland’s already troubled relationship with the 27-member bloc in the key area of law and justice.
Reads like member states Constitutional Laws/Courts are redundant.

Chasey

The EU going forward
Reads like member states Constitutional Laws/Courts are redundant.

No, it reads like these are the rules for membership of our club.

The rules were clear on joining and subsequent alterations to the rules were democratically agreed

Follow them or leave.

They have the sovereign right to leave.

Why oh why do people keep harping on about the rules of the EU contravening some misguided belief in sovereignty as if the need to follow the rules of membership suddenly came as a shock to them

Akasya

Postless Pointer
The EU going forward
If Poland goes to the wall , as have the UK , then the costs will be catastrophic , Poland is export veg or die , i imagine they will enjoy a surfeit of cheap veg......for a while .
Steve

The EU going forward
Poland isn’t talking about leaving the EU.
Poland like other member states has challenged the EU.

Last edited:
The EU going forward
Its as the link says, "speculation". The Polish Government to my knowledge have not said anything about leaving the EU.
I notice though, one who is making those types of noises is Donald Tusk, who is now canvasing there to become the next leader of Poland.
I don't think the EU has the power to throw Poland out either.

"Both Mr Morawiecki and Poland's most powerful politician, PiS chairman Jaroslaw Kaczynski, insist Poland wants to stay in the EU.
They accuse the country's fragmented opposition of spreading "fake news" to frighten an electorate that overwhelmingly supports membership, even if more Poles now voice concerns about losing sovereignty to the EU."

Last edited:

Chasey

The EU going forward
Its as the link says, "speculation". The Polish Government to my knowledge have not said anything about leaving the EU.
I notice though, one who is making those types of noises is Donald Tusk, who is now canvasing there to become the next leader of Poland.

"Both Mr Morawiecki and Poland's most powerful politician, PiS chairman Jaroslaw Kaczynski, insist Poland wants to stay in the EU.
They accuse the country's fragmented opposition of spreading "fake news" to frighten an electorate that overwhelmingly supports membership, even if more Poles now voice concerns about losing sovereignty to the EU."

Sounds familiar :(

Only in our case it was a government in power in fear of little Englanders supporting UKIP losing them votes and cowing to a mad minority in their own ranks.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
The EU going forward

Until it happens all it can ever be is speculation , period . After the fact it ceases to be so.
Steve

The EU going forward
Until it happens all it can ever be is speculation , period . After the fact it ceases to be so.
Steve
With an ex EU Commissioner standing in the election, I would expect plenty of speculation. A potential Martin Shultz could be the outcome.

I'd put money on it that the Polish Government will not stand on a leave ticket.

The EU going forward

Only in our case it was a government in power in fear of little Englanders supporting UKIP losing them votes and cowing to a mad minority in their own ranks.
“A Government in power”, so why did Labour vote for it as well? Oh and the Lib Dem’s.

Camden

The EU going forward
“A Government in power”, so why did Labour vote for it as well? Oh and the Lib Dem’s.

That's simple Chips I thought you would know ? the opposition Parties were given only two choices a bad one and a worse one .... vote for the Government deal... or not the he alternative being we would be over the cliff in a No deal Brexit.... worse ...everyone knew the time given had run out. Boris had ran it to the clock so their would be no time to renegotiate from the Boris bill. Alternative a No deal Brexit ....

The EU going forward
That's simple Chips I thought you would know ? the opposition Parties were given only two choices a bad one and a worse one .... vote for the Government deal... or not the he alternative being we would be over the cliff in a No deal Brexit.... worse ...everyone knew the time given had run out. Boris had ran it to the clock so their would be no time to renegotiate from the Boris bill. Alternative a No deal Brexit ....
It was so simple that you didn’t even understand the article. That vote was nothing to do with the “deal”.
The link is dated 2015.

Camden

The EU going forward
It was so simple that you didn’t even understand the article. That vote was nothing to do with the “deal”.
The link is dated 2015.

I was answering on the vote in relation Chasey's post to you ...

The EU going forward
I was answering on the vote in relation Chasey's post to you ...
Sure you did....that’s why you quoted my post and my link.
Labour, Conservatives, Lib Dem’s voted to give the people a referendum. Why did Labour MPs vote for that, were they themselves worried about UKIP, along with losing their own seats.......

Camden

The EU going forward
Sure you did....that’s why you quoted my post and my link.
Labour, Conservatives, Lib Dem’s voted to give the people a referendum. Why did Labour MPs vote for that, were they themselves worried about UKIP, along with losing their own seats.......

Show my quote from the link? .... that am meant to have quoted from... as never opened the link so would be a miracle.... we better not hold our breath ...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The EU going forward
Show my quote from the link? .... that am meant to have quoted from... as never opened the link so would be a miracle.... we better not hold our breath ...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You never responded to Chasey, you responded to my post & even managed to get that wrong..........it wasn't about the "deal".
So did Labour vote for a referendum because they were also worried about UKIP?

A referendum IMO would've come sooner or later, regardless of who was in power.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom