The EU going forward
Well if Big Pharma as seen can't meet their contractual supplier agreement due as said to "bottlenecks" what do you expect them to do ... let people become infected ? hardly a U turn more of alternative plan due to circumstance. ...
No parallel contracts, no parallel negotiating, is what the woman said & that's exactly the opposite to the stance being taken now by the Commission. What's more, member states are doing just that.
AstraZeneca is the target but anyone would think that AstraZeneca was ever going to be the sole supplier to the EU on vaccines.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
The EU going forward
Well if Big Pharma as seen can't meet their contractual supplier agreement due as said to "bottlenecks" what do you expect them to do ... let people become infected ? hardly a U turn more of alternative plan due to circumstance. ...
hardly a U turn more of alternative plan due to circumstance. ...

Interesting 'Spin'........you could get a job in politics.

Camden

The EU going forward
Of course its a U-turn, the EU President herself stood at a podium and said, there was no going it alone on the p0roccurement of vaccines. The Commission had sole rights. At the time she made that statement, there was a shortage of vaccines, that never stopped her giving out the warning to member states.

Don't be silly, even though a Consensus on procurement was sought to show strength in negotiations with the Big Pharmaceuticals it would have been Consensual on Big Pharma meeting the remit on supply ..... So yes she didn't want dilution of the negotiation by any parallel negotiations, a quite normal business practice .

But the at no time would someone stop a Government seeking alternatives if the Consensual negotiated contract wasn't met of course alternative plans would be sought . ... This is the real world and Governments are reliant on the electorate for their positions so it would be suicidal for them not find alternatives to vaccinate their electorate .

Camden

The EU going forward
hardly a U turn more of alternative plan due to circumstance. ...

Interesting 'Spin'........you could get a job in politics.

Maybe in the PM's office .. since Dominic's gone ? LOL

on second thoughts he already has Carrie Symonds adding the spin, and good at makeovers I hear lol lol lol

Last edited:
The EU going forward
Don't be silly, even though a Consensus on procurement was sought to show strength in negotiations with the Big Pharmaceuticals it would have been Consensual on Big Pharma meeting the remit on supply ..... So yes she didn't want dilution of the negotiation by any parallel negotiations, a quite normal business practice .

But the at no time would someone stop a Government seeking alternatives if the Consensual negotiated contract wasn't met of course alternative plans would be sought . ... This is the real world and Governments are reliant on the electorate for their positions so it would be suicidal for them not find alternatives to vaccinate their electorate .
" if the Consensual negotiated contract wasn't met"

I must've missed the EU President making that comment or anything like it. What she did say was that the agreement member states had made with Commission was legally binding.

Chasey

The EU going forward
Of course its a U-turn, the EU President herself stood at a podium and said, there was no going it alone on the p0roccurement of vaccines. The Commission had sole rights. At the time she made that statement, there was a shortage of vaccines, that never stopped her giving out the warning to member states.

You see that's the problem when member states are sovereign countries in their own right. Ultimately they are not controlled by the EU and only go along with the stuff they support as a country.

It does kind of put a big dent in your Brexit claims about us being controlled by the EU and being stripped of our sovereignty though, doesn't it?

The EU going forward
You see that's the problem when member states are sovereign countries in their own right. Ultimately they are not controlled by the EU and only go along with the stuff they support as a country.

It does kind of put a big dent in your Brexit claims about us being controlled by the EU and being stripped of our sovereignty though, doesn't it?

So what are you suggesting, the EU President demands that everyone has the AstraZeneca vaccination?
A couple of weeks back VDL asked why would Russia be offering other European countries their vaccine when they hadn’t got to grips with vaccinating their own people? Fair comment but why is the EU giving their vaccines to other countries when EU citizens themselves are crying out to be vaccinated?
Those European leaders who have challenged AstraZeneca only happen to be pro EU to the core, they’ve made a vaccine political IMO to detract from the Commissions balls up. Sunday’s German regional elections results, again IMO proves that.

Camden

The EU going forward
Yea ! So these Pro EU leaders are killing their own people by denying them the vaccine, all to get their own back on the UK for Brexit.... really .... must remember that surefire re-election strategy.

The EU going forward
Yea ! So these Pro EU leaders are killing their own people by denying them the vaccine, all to get their own back on the UK for Brexit.... really .... must remember that surefire re-election strategy.

On my life, where has that been suggested? The political battle is going on inside the EU itself, it’s politicians overruling scientists & the science. One Commissionaire today threw blame onto individual member states for still sitting on vaccines whilst the virus continues to spread.
Countries who have gone to Russia & China for vaccines didn’t do it because of Brexit.

Camden

The EU going forward
On my life, where has that been suggested? The political battle is going on inside the EU itself, it’s politicians overruling scientists & the science. One Commissionaire today threw blame onto individual member states for still sitting on vaccines whilst the virus continues to spread.
Countries who have gone to Russia & China for vaccines didn’t do it because of Brexit.

Google today's Brexit supporting anti EU press the Sun ... Their headline.... 'BREXIT SULK' Italy and France resume rollout of AstraZeneca jabs after admitting ban was political as EU ‘sulks’ over Brexit...................

Last edited:
The EU going forward
Google today's Brexit supporting anti EU press the Sun ... Their headline.... 'BREXIT SULK' Italy and France resume rollout of AstraZeneca jabs after admitting ban was political as EU ‘sulks’ over Brexit...................

I don’t read the Sun, nor does it speak for me.
Macron and Merkel etc passed the job onto the Commission. The Commission blew it, the blame game continues on that side of the Channel. On this particular issue they’re all over the shop. What happens if the WHO also deems the AstraZeneca vaccine safe AGAIN? The damage is done, they’ve scared the people off.

Camden

The EU going forward
I don’t read the Sun, nor does it speak for me.
Macron and Merkel etc passed the job onto the Commission. The Commission blew it, the blame game continues on that side of the Channel. On this particular issue they’re all over the shop. What happens if the WHO also deems the AstraZeneca vaccine safe AGAIN? The damage is done, they’ve scared the people off.

Good to hear you disagree with them...( the Sun) even though I never said it spoke for you, in fact never mentioned you ...it must be those other anti EU sceptics...

The EU going forward
Good to hear you disagree with them...( the Sun) even though I never said it spoke for you, in fact never mentioned you ...it must be those other anti EU sceptics...

Nor did I say I disagree with them, if you choose to read the Sun, that’s up to you.
I say it as I see it & EU sceptic or not, the problem they have is only going to get bigger. Vaccines do no good sitting in fridges & politicians across the EU can take the credit for that situation.
It’s strikes me that the EMA is surplus to requirements if politicians can just overrule their findings and recommendations.
What next, the EMA gives the green light to the Russian vaccine and EU politicians reject those findings?

Camden

The EU going forward
Nor did I say I disagree with them, if you choose to read the Sun, that’s up to you.
I say it as I see it & EU sceptic or not, the problem they have is only going to get bigger. Vaccines do no good sitting in fridges & politicians across the EU can take the credit for that situation.
It’s strikes me that the EMA is surplus to requirements if politicians can just overrule their findings and recommendations.
What next, the EMA gives the green light to the Russian vaccine and EU politicians reject those findings?

Sorry, I took it from your disbelief that someone would say similar that you disagreed Chips Quote: " On my life, where has that been suggested?"

Last edited:
The EU going forward
Sorry, I took it from your disbelief that someone would say similar that you disagreed Chips Quote: " On my life, where has that been suggested?" So are you saying you do agree with them ?

I’m saying exactly what I’ve already posted. Member states are not looking for vaccines from Russia or China because of Brexit. What Macrons reason was for doubting AstraZeneca have proven to be false, he has one eye on the EU future Presidency, he’d fit in that position perfectly.

The EU going forward
An interesting debate & hits the nail on the head.
We talk about "vaccine passports", what about Europe sorting out the vaccine fiasco first and foremost.
If I were a 25 years old & wanted to go on holiday abroad, how would I be able to get vaccinated? Would I for example be able to use my holiday as an excuse to queue jump?

In the meantime, even in the EU the right questions are being aired & of course up stands an Italian MEP justifying the EUs performance.

Chasey

The EU going forward
So what are you suggesting, the EU President demands that everyone has the AstraZeneca vaccination?
A couple of weeks back VDL asked why would Russia be offering other European countries their vaccine when they hadn’t got to grips with vaccinating their own people? Fair comment but why is the EU giving their vaccines to other countries when EU citizens themselves are crying out to be vaccinated?
Those European leaders who have challenged AstraZeneca only happen to be pro EU to the core, they’ve made a vaccine political IMO to detract from the Commissions balls up. Sunday’s German regional elections results, again IMO proves that.

Errrrr NO

I am suggesting these FULL EU member states are demonstrating clearly that they can exercise their sovereign rights despite being EU members. This making a total mockery of the claim the UK couldn't have acted alone in the vaccination issue and that prior to leaving the EU we had to do exactly what the EU told us to do.

You know, in case you missed the point and all.

The EU going forward
Errrrr NO

I am suggesting these FULL EU member states are demonstrating clearly that they can exercise their sovereign rights despite being EU members. This making a total mockery of the claim the UK couldn't have acted alone in the vaccination issue and that prior to leaving the EU we had to do exactly what the EU told us to do.

You know, in case you missed the point and all.
You obviously never grasped what VDL clearly stated.

Camden

The EU going forward
You obviously never grasped what VDL clearly stated.

Did you miss were they said they all agreed Sovereign nations who were members agreed to it normal in agreements .... To think the UK wouldn't have done different is a mistake it's not the first time whilst a member we or other EU members opted out of policy. We also opted out of joint PPE EU procurement to our detriment.

The agreement would be binding till the contract wasn't fulfilled where the Sovereign Nations whose Health Service is independant would look for alternatives as they have.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom