The EU going forward
Yes 100% against them. The Scottish and Irish parliaments should debate the issue, make a decision and implement it. This is how the system is designed to work and that is how it should work. If the government failed to gain a majority in parliament to force through the decision they have two options. Drop it or call a general election in order to gain the support of the people and form a majority in parliament to get their decision through.

Its not a perfect system but it has checks and balances.

Referendums are chaos and anarchy
So you’re quite happy for the Scottish and Irish Governments to debate an issue and implement it but not Westminster......you would rather have have Brussels do that for us?
The UK debated the in out of the EU, came to a decision and implemented it.
BTW it wasn’t just the Government who called for the referendum.....it was cross Party.

The EU going forward
I’m surprised Chasey that you’re even for people having a vote in a General Election. Your ridiculous comment that the 37% who voted remain should be able to take legal action against those in Dover who voted to leave the EU.
Democracy doesn’t equate to legal action because people have a different point of view.

Chasey

The EU going forward
So you’re quite happy for the Scottish and Irish Governments to debate an issue and implement it but not Westminster......you would rather have have Brussels do that for us?
The UK debated the in out of the EU, came to a decision and implemented it.
BTW it wasn’t just the Government who called for the referendum.....it was cross Party.
No, I was happy for Scotland to do it I was happy for Westminster to do it but I am NOT happy with the referendum which I see as a failure of government to govern

We have always been a sovereign nation we were before Brexit we are now??? so how the hell could the EU do it???

You didn't seriously believe all the get our sovereignty back nonsense did you?

We never lost it. Admittedly post Brexit we have lost a bit more control over our own destiny and are now much more at the mercy of our biggest local super power (The EU) but we haven't lost our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot or cut off our own noses to spite our own faces. We proudly retained that

Chasey

The EU going forward
I’m surprised Chasey that you’re even for people having a vote in a General Election. Your ridiculous comment that the 37% who voted remain should be able to take legal action against those in Dover who voted to leave the EU.
Democracy doesn’t equate to legal action because people have a different point of view.

I would prefer a meritocracy

I'd personally prefer it if there were an exam on how the government and local councils and judicial systems work and prove a basic understanding of the constitution of the UK and you were only allowed to vote if you passed the exam.

It is rather odd in my view, you need to pass a test to drive a car but not to chose the direction your country should take???

The EU going forward
No, I was happy for Scotland to do it I was happy for Westminster to do it but I am NOT happy with the referendum which I see as a failure of government to govern

We have always been a sovereign nation we were before Brexit we are now??? so how the hell could the EU do it???

You didn't seriously believe all the get our sovereignty back nonsense did you?

We never lost it. Admittedly post Brexit we have lost a bit more control over our own destiny and are now much more at the mercy of our biggest local super power (The EU) but we haven't lost our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot or cut off our own noses to spite our own faces. We proudly retained that
So even though the legality issues of the Scottish Government solely making the decision, where would the people’s voice be Camden?

Saoirse

The EU going forward
Yes 100% against them. The Scottish and Irish parliaments should debate the issue, make a decision and implement it. This is how the system is designed to work and that is how it should work. If the government failed to gain a majority in parliament to force through the decision they have two options. Drop it or call a general election in order to gain the support of the people and form a majority in parliament to get their decision through.

Its not a perfect system but it has checks and balances.

Referendums are chaos and anarchy

As Blackadder would have said -I think I am at the point of of spotting a flaw in your argument- its bollix

As regards Edinburgh disengaging from the failing Brexiteer rump if you're saying the will of the people should be accepted as the view espoused by those they elect then Scotland should have been given its freedom years ago as SNP representation has been overwhelming endorsed in Scotland's parliament so they rightly should not even have to bother with the disinterested privileged class English chinless wonder politicos

As for Ireland- your proposal on how to right the wrong of 800 years of occupation followed by a further 100 of enforced partition and establishment of a Gerrymandered statelet beggars belief

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
The EU going forward
Like they haven’t got enough on their plates.
Nonetheless, good idea.

Yes, speak languages that nobody else in the world understand. What the French are really after is a return the French being the language of diplomats, as it was for centuries:

"Beaune did not explicitly advocate for French to replace English after Brexit. However, he said a post-Brexit Europe “which would work only in one language, would communicate only in one language would be a mistake.”"

His speech had to go through an interpreter because nobody outside France could understand him.

Ian

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
The EU going forward

Time for the Conference on the Future of Europe to start​

Full story

Extract:
In a democracy, trust is never a given, warn MEPs. After a transformative year, Europe needs an open debate on what comes next, or we risk losing the public.

It was the year a pandemic kept us all at home, and the EU set up an unprecedented bond programme to deal with the economic fallout.

When authoritarian tendencies in Europe thundered on, and anti-democratic spoilers both within and outside the EU actively promoted mistrust in public policies. When one of Europe's biggest members left for good, and one of the world's leading democracies often seemed to have lost the plot.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
The EU going forward

Brussels-Beijing deal could threaten cooperation with US on China​

Full Story

Extract:
Relations between the EU and China ended on somewhat of a high last year.

After nearly seven years of negotiations, a deal that would make it easier for companies to operate in each other’s territory was reached at a political level.

But the EU-China Comprehensive Agreement on Investment, as it is officially known, has not been to everyone's liking.

The incoming Biden administration expressed its dislike of the pact earlier this month, after signalling that it wants a coordinated strategy against an increasingly aggressive China.

There was an expectation in Washington that with Trump in the rearview mirror, Brussels might harmonise policy towards the rising superpower.

This is likely still the case, but the deal has put a spanner in the works.

The EU going forward

Brussels-Beijing deal could threaten cooperation with US on China​

Full Story

Extract:
Relations between the EU and China ended on somewhat of a high last year.

After nearly seven years of negotiations, a deal that would make it easier for companies to operate in each other’s territory was reached at a political level.

But the EU-China Comprehensive Agreement on Investment, as it is officially known, has not been to everyone's liking.

The incoming Biden administration expressed its dislike of the pact earlier this month, after signalling that it wants a coordinated strategy against an increasingly aggressive China.

There was an expectation in Washington that with Trump in the rearview mirror, Brussels might harmonise policy towards the rising superpower.

This is likely still the case, but the deal has put a spanner in the works.
I read that the EU Parliament are looking for proof of Human Rights improvements before they sign off on the deal. Plus some member states are unhappy on even dealing with China. It was also pointed out by the Australians to the EU that signed agreements with China are useless........they do what they want.

enoch

The EU going forward
France will loose over 60 million a year with none payment of road fines, since the uk Brexit they cannot be enforced after leaving the country.

Chasey

The EU going forward
France will loose over 60 million a year with none payment of road fines, since the uk Brexit they cannot be enforced after leaving the country.
We are not allowed to gamble on this site but thats a shame as id give good odds hat that doesent happen :D

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
The EU going forward

China-EU investment deal: smaller countries question whether France and Germany have their best interests at heart​

Full Story

Extract:
One diplomat says that role played by Angela Merkel and Emmanuel Macron risks undermining the bloc’s role in dealing with Beijing

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron’s role in sealing a landmark investment deal between the European Union and China has raised questions in some other member states about whether their interests are being addressed.

Germany accounts for nearly half of all European investment in China, while France has the second greatest European business presence there.

“Having the big countries at the table with Xi weakens the power of Brussels, and teaches Beijing that if they want something from the EU, they can just go through the big players,“ said one diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The EU going forward
I don't know the full extent of how these things work but I believed each member state has the ability to veto a deal?
That’s how it’s supposed to work but as Cameron found out in the Greek debt crisis, vetoes can be side stepped.
The Americans under Biden might have something to say on China’s involvement in Europe.
Me personally, I’m not bothered, it’s a 27 issue. The 27 though as yet haven’t managed to stop Nord Stream 2, which again is a German want.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
The EU going forward
That’s how it’s supposed to work but as Cameron found out in the Greek debt crisis, vetoes can be side stepped.
The Americans under Biden might have something to say on China’s involvement in Europe.
Me personally, I’m not bothered, it’s a 27 issue. The 27 though as yet haven’t managed to stop Nord Stream 2, which again is a German want.
Not correct , a veto counts and cannot be ignored .
Steve

The EU going forward
Not correct , a veto counts and cannot be ignored .
Steve
Mmmm so wasn’t Cameron’s veto ignored? The EU simply worked it’s way around it.
Logic alone should tell us that Brussels can’t operate fully whilst National Parliaments can thwart them. They want vetoes replaced with majority voting ie tax issues being one of them.
They have to dangle carrots to those who object to EU policy’s.
As said though, we are outside looking in but I can’t see the US being happy with the EU over China, just like they’re not over Russia. If the EU thinks that’s the way(s) to go, then that’s up to them.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom