ceemac

Shake It Baby...
The 'Empire' Fights Back
Was wondering when they were going to come out fighting...

'In the face of growing criticism of the General Staff due to an apparent military plan to violently overthrow the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), Chief of General Staff Gen. İlker Başbuğ has addressed the media with “threatening” language and warned them not to try the army’s patience.'

Here

C

The 'Empire' Fights Back
Hi Ceemac,

I was horrified reading this at work earlier today and when taken in conjunction with internal squabbles/changes and other creeping political alliances towards the likes of Syria and Iran, reading between the lines, I am beginning to wonder if these changes may eventually begin to affect the treatment of expats/western property owners/tourists in the country.

Watch the space, does anyone else have any opinions on the subject matter ?

Steve

:fencing:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
The 'Empire' Fights Back
this is 7 years old..its not a new thing..but who is expected to gain from it in light of elections this year.?

My guess is Erdogan...

ps the Chief of General Staff's attack on the press isn't 7 years old though.

C

Squeaky

The 'Empire' Fights Back
Good morning:

Shirleyanntr-"this is 7 years old..its not a new thing..but who is expected to gain from it in light of elections this year.?"

The last item I read concerning elections indicated that the elections will be in 2011. Have you perchance had more recent news???

Brokenbrains - If there were to be a coup in Turkey I think ex-pats and foreigners would pretty much be ignored unless they got involved. Additionally I think there would be sufficient time to leave for a short while until the dust settled if there was any indication that life for a foreigner became unhealthy. After all even if the military took control of the administration much of life would continue as usual i.e. property ownership would not be effected unless of course someone in power fancied your property a la Zimbabwe.

Cheers

Squeaky

Robert

The 'Empire' Fights Back
was wondering when they were going to come out fighting...

'in the face of growing criticism of the general staff due to an apparent military plan to violently overthrow the justice and development party (ak party), chief of general staff gen. İlker başbuğ has addressed the media with “threatening” language and warned them not to try the army’s patience.'

here

c

ceemac please withdraw this offensive, misleading out of date posting
you,ll be telling us next that hitler has invaded poland.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
The 'Empire' Fights Back
ceemac please withdraw this offensive, misleading out of date posting
you,ll be telling us next that hitler has invaded poland.

What the hell are you talking about Robert?? This statement was made on Monday by General Basbug.

C

The 'Empire' Fights Back
Balyoz/sledgehammer is the name of the document in question...this was drwan up around 2002 or 2003 and if you read the things itemised in the 'plan' you will see its really over the top ..although there no doubt the General staff have been embarrassed by it..and of course the AK Party are blowing the bogey man up bigger than ever.
The 'plot' was supposed to do some or all of the following..bomb mosques... "fundamentalists" would attack the military museum, Al-Qaeda and the PKK would made carry out attacks on civilian people, jet planes would be crashed, people would be arrested and put into stadiums and coliseums, journalists would be classified as "on our side" and "the others" and the first ones would be used and the second ones oppressed...as was reported in the Taraf

this is from a Bianet correspondent
..According to the announcement made by the General Staff on Thursday (20 January) all what is written in the paper was just a "planned exercise". So, in the face of our country being exposed to an "external threat", our General Staff even took into account a coup attempt by the Armed Forces, the most unlikely possibility.

To cut a long story short, the General Staff says this: "Even if - as published by Taraf newspaper - that many generals and colonels within the TSK (Turkish Armed Forces) were involved hand in hand with that number of civilian patriots in a coup attempt, our armed forces were doing a 'planned exercise' to test the strength of our constitutional regime against such an attempt. What you saw was actually a war game, so to speak".

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
The 'Empire' Fights Back
Shirley, I did know the background to this as I've been following the Sledgehammer story :kitapoku:

My thread however was in relation to the response made by the Chief of the General Staff as I'd wondered when and how the TSK would react.

C

The 'Empire' Fights Back
Craig the post i made was in relation to your thread..at least i thought it was..??
what makes you think it wasnt

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
The 'Empire' Fights Back
Your comment that it was 7 years old - the article I posted re the General's speech only occurred on Sunday or Monday.

You obviously confused Robert :lol:

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom