Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
The curious case of Monty being outfoxed by.......The Paddies!!!
Always find the quirky stories from our history fascinating even more so than the well known box office stuff

Absolute hero and legendary WW2 Major Montgomery is rightly renowned for his chess like tactics in his almost personal battle outwitting Rommel in the desert campaign

But I for one didnt know he had previously been outmaneuvered himself- by the Irish!!!

429nufc

I'm not sure "quirky" is the correct adjective to use?

mollag

Kipper restorer

429nufc

But as Wesley said (allegedly) of his birthright "Not everyone born in a stable is a horse"

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
I'm not sure "quirky" is the correct adjective to use?
No I am going to stick with “quirky “as it’s an offbeat little known tale and certainly not one I have ever heard in relation to either Montys legendary exploits nor Ireland’s bloody and tragic history

429nufc

I agree "tragic" would have been a better adjective

Do the Irish accept/like being called "Paddies", is it not insulting this day & age?

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
Context is everything

Also a bit like the N word- its acceptable amongst ourselves

Highlighting racism or hate in humour can be a great way of drawing its sting

mollag

Kipper restorer
In my experience the best " oirish" gags are Kerrymen culshie ones, told by an Irish fella, likewise Yiddisher gags are best told by a Jewish fella.

mollag

Kipper restorer
Heres another fine commander. General "Bobs"
Field Marshal Frederick Sleigh Roberts, 1st Earl Roberts, VC, KG, KP, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, VD, PC, FRSGS (30 September 1832 – 14 November 1914), was a British Victorian era general who became one of the most successful British military commanders of his time.

Born at Cawnpore, India, on 30 September 1832, Roberts was the son of General Sir Abraham Roberts,[3] who had been born into an Anglo-Irish family in County Waterford in the south-east of Ireland.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom