Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
The Car Shortage Is About To Get A Whole Lot Worse

The Car Shortage Is About To Get A Whole Lot Worse​

Extract:
A critical element in everything from engines to bodies is in short supply.

A global shortage of magnesium could result in a near-total shutdown of the auto industry — one that experts say could come by the end of this year.

The Car Shortage Is About To Get A Whole Lot Worse​

Extract:
A critical element in everything from engines to bodies is in short supply.

A global shortage of magnesium could result in a near-total shutdown of the auto industry — one that experts say could come by the end of this year.
I enquired this week about new car waiting times. I was told Feb at earliest. The reason quoted - a dire shortage of semi conductor chips which apparently is a global problem - and China is working 24 hrs a day to produce.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Why are we concerned about a shortage of new cars? There are already far too many cars about. We could survive if no-one bought a new car for 10 years.
They would have no prestige with a second hand car.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
We got 2 new cars in 2019, does that now make them 2nd hand ? I recently looked at replacing mine, a budget model with a Brand new automatic version of the same car in a similar spec, the dealer assured me I would get what I paid in 2019 (full service history with only 7,000 miles on) for mine, however there was no indication as to when the newer model would arrive.
The other car has a private plate (UTW 4 T) not sure you would be able to tell the difference between the current and a newer model as little if anything has changed

We got 2 new cars in 2019, does that now make them 2nd hand ? I recently looked at replacing mine, a budget model with a Brand new automatic version of the same car in a similar spec, the dealer assured me I would get what I paid in 2019 (full service history with only 7,000 miles on) for mine, however there was no indication as to when the newer model would arrive.
The other car has a private plate (UTW 4 T) not sure you would be able to tell the difference between the current and a newer model as little if anything has changed
The other anomaly is that the part exchange prices have increased as well. I don't do part exchange but was surprised what they were offering.

Mushroom

I've decided that when the hybrid reaches 3 years in January of next year it is going.
With less than 20K on the clock I have come to the conclusion that we have 3 cars sat on the drive for most of every day.
My neighbours have the same predicament but some are image conscious so would rather put new cars on their drive only to travel 5 miles a day.
The boss is reducing her hours from March when she cashes in her pension and the Abarth has passed 2 years old last month with 7K on the clock.
The Fiat 500 is 7 years old with 35K and travels locally as my daughter's car by default doing about 3K a year.
We can easily survive without the hybrid and I just cannot see the point of having something that isn't needed.
If I need a bigger car for some one off reason, I will ring up and hire one.
I hope my neighbours think we are skint and having to unload to survive. In fact I might tell them that.🌝

Latest Posts

Top Bottom