Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
The C Word
I am sure I am going to get slated for this but I had to splutter something out.

I am too busy these days to visit TLF as much as I used to it and was taken by surprise by the new Cancer Corner.

Am I the only person who felt uncomfortable? Not by reading people's experiences but just the idea of a forum called that. Why not a more gentle and positive sounding Recovery Room or something and at least that gives scope for TLF members with other illnesses and conditions to open up.

Sorry but I have lost so many loved ones I can't stand the word :35:

Martyn

The C Word
I don't think you'll get slated, it's your opinion. Personally I hadn't thought about the name just really reading the different experiences but it is quite a good idea upon reflection. I'll leave it to the masses to discuss. I think the name could be more positive as you say.

The C Word
Like Martyn it hadnt occurred to me at all but a more uplifting title could be a good idea.

I am not really bothered by calling it the big C as its just a word to me but you are entitled to your view under the circumstances, Peaceplant.
I wouldnt dream of slating you just because the title upsets you.
See what others think or Mushtaq.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
The C Word
As one who has posted on said thread I hadn't given much thought to the name myself but i think you're quite right... i believe the idea of the forum is to try to give positive thoughts, views, stories and opinions to fellow survivors and suffers.
Even more so i think your alternative name " The recovery room" is a more positive name for it... only my opinion of course, no doubt over users will have their on views on the topic.
Alan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mushtaq

Founding Member
The C Word
I though the name didn't need any guesses and introductions, I always prefer to get the message across in shortest possible way, without the fluff.

You know exactly what the sub-forum is about, if it was called something nicer like the 'Recovery Room' what would it say to you, recovery from what?

This is my opinion, but I'm open to suitable suggestions, but like I said it has to say what it is.

mintyk

The C Word
Noting wrong with it. The cancer sufferers have had to face cancer full on and have done so with great pride. If they are happy calling it by it's name so be it. It is a corner for cancer sufferers to chat discuss their treatments and have a gripe if and when they want.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
The C Word
as a proxy member of CC I don't mind the title, at then end of the day its that bloody disease we are talking about.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
The C Word
Pebble PM'd me and asked whether it would be possible to set up a "Cancer Corner", her description not mine. I forwarded the PM to Mushtaq to enable him to decide whether he wanted to introduce such a forum within TLF. Mushtaq and the Moderators discussed whether or not to go ahead with the idea at great length and it was decided to give it a go.

We're all touched by cancer in one way or another during our lives. It's a fact of life. Whatever we chose to call it, it's still Cancer. By calling it the "Recovery Room" or something equally insipid, who exactly are you being kind or gentle to ?

My personal view is that if you don't want to read about or discuss it, don't visit Cancer Corner.

Last edited:

GnD

The C Word
Hi Peaceplant,

I do know what you mean. I feel like I am pressing a bruise when entering, (lost one of the best men on this earth to this disease and I miss him dearly in so many ways. Always ran life's problems passed him and he always had advice even if it was a sarcastic mickey take! Tom was my Step Father the best there was and therefore abhor the C word because it took him away from me.)

I have to say though I still go in for brief spells and totally admire those posting.

I do think if it were recovery room then it does open it up to other illnesses too. Good idea.

Debbie

maggie

The C Word
My opinion for what its worth I think Cancer corner is quite appropriate because thats what the thread is.
Calling it the Recovery Room and oppenning it up for other illnesses some what takes away the impact of the original thread.

We could have seperate threads for all different sorts of illness for instance we have Chrohns disease,and many more types of illnesses amongst our members.

The way the Cancer Corner has given its members moral support and hope could also be beneficial in other illnesses.
Just a thought.

Hugs Maggie xxxx

jcrian

The C Word
My opinion for what its worth I think Cancer corner is quite appropriate because thats what the thread is.
Calling it the Recovery Room and oppenning it up for other illnesses some what takes away the impact of the original thread.

We could have seperate threads for all different sorts of illness for instance we have Chrohns disease,and many more types of illnesses amongst our members.

The way the Cancer Corner has given its members moral support and hope could also be beneficial in other illnesses.
Just a thought.

Hugs Maggie xxxx

I appreciate that that this new forum gives some members moral support but also bear in mind that it rubs 'salt into old wounds' when you post for other members.

Here is part of a PM that I received from a long standing member who has great respect on this forum.

My dad died from cancer a while back and now my sister has it and I didn't really want to see it plastered all over TLF.

carolk

R.I.P
The C Word
I can see your point and that of the member who pm'd you. If people want a separate forum for illnesses then maybe another name to encompass all illnesses and not a specific name to one of them. People could then go and discuss things with each other and people who are upset can avoid that forum.

Carolyn

The C Word
I think Cancer Corner is the right name. I don't feel comfortable with it, but then it is the thought of this terrible illness rather than the label attached.

If those members who have suffered, been touched by or are suffering from it and are brave enough to talk about "Cancer" then I think us so fortunate not to be sufferers should admire their courage and respect their wishes.

Just my opinion!

The C Word
Hi

I am of he opinion that the Title stays as it is.

I have been diagnosed with Cancer, and to date I have had good results.

BUT, I am not "recovering", I maybe in remission, but it has not been proved that I have recovered.

Like many, I have lost both parents, sister, in-laws, uncles, aunts, and a few close friends to the big "C".

Yes it is a horrible world, but why hide from it, stand-up, be counted and look the Cancer straight in the face.

Why should we hide our illness and feelings behind a non-descript title like Recovery. Face reality, some will never recover from Cancer.

Keep the title, and if you feel embarrased or uncomfortable with it Do Not Read the posts.

Rant over

Sandy

To the Big "C" i give you this :--:moonie:

Martyn

The C Word
I think what Carol said is a good point, in some ways the name is excluding other terrible illnesses such as Motor Neurone. I think Recovery Room has a positive ring to it and can include everyone.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
The C Word
What ever you want to call it, the C word, that B*****d disease, for some, Cancer is a very emotive subject, not everyone wants to talk about it let alone read about it.
Clearly, like myself some of us are happy to tell our tales, offer advice, compare notes etc.. others want to keep it to themselves, it's a personal thing.

While i welcome a thread for those who have been touched by it in some way, a thread by another name, be it " The recovery room" or any other name,a generic name to encompass all subjects, it give those who have been affected/touch by many other life changing and life threatening disease an opportunity to express themselves rather than exclude them.

Alan.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
The C Word
I had a tumour on the ovary age 23 it was removed but i could never have children . Somehow i.ve always blamed my ex husband who beat and repeatedly kicked me in the stomach . Anyway i was robbed of that basic right of all women of being a Mother As an only child i wanted 7 kids I expect after 4 i'd have said thats enough . After 2 months of battering i left him and never saw him again { thank god } I nursed my dad through bone cancer and lost him on a christmas eve . My mum died of breast cancer BUT she lived 14yrs with it . In total i've lost 4 uncles 3 aunts and 6 cousins . And right now my best friend as a brain tumour I.ve promised to take care of her . I hate the C word But see no point in getting upset at the name of the disease . And as sadly some people dont Recover from it Why not call it the C Servivers Corner . Thus giveing hope and inspiration to people who have this B*****D disease right now and need our moral support . ? and just incase anyone needs this = the top man in UK is Professor Michael Brada at the Royal Marsden Hospital he's a specalist in brain tumours No private appointments needed . I wish everyone well and good health to you all Diane

Mushtaq

Founding Member
The C Word
After a lot of suggestions and discussions I have decided to rename the Cancer Corner to 'Health Matters' it will now be open to everyone and can be more positive place to exchange Health related information.

ukizook

The C Word
My mother died because of bowel cancer 10 years ago, she never, ever used the word [Cancer] as if it had some evil spell if you spoke it. Everyone knew what she was talking about as she would mime the word but no sound came out [ for those of you who remember Les Dawson doing the woman impersonation you get the idea] ;)

Until I had it I never used the word either as if mearly mentioning it had some evil concoctions, it was "The big C" or "That thing" and many other terms. This bastard of a thing does not deserve it's mystical names it is Cancer, plain and simple. This is how I explain it to friends and stangers. Some friends didn't like to us the word when Im around for fear of upsetting me but why should anyone fear the word it has no power over us.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom