Bubskar

Text messaging
A friend of mine went abroad recently and turned off their Turkcell phone. I didn't know this and sent an SMS text message. They are now back and are saying that they did not receive the message. The message was quite important.

Could this be true. I need to know whether text messages are received when a mobile phone (Turkcell) is turned back on?

I feel I should know this but I don't - does anyone else. It is quite important to me

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Text messaging
i think it depends on how long the phone was off, text messages are sent through a central bank and held there until the recepient phone is open to receive it. I think they only store for upto a week at the most.

I may be wrong on this but try ringing your provider and they should be able to track your text and tell you when and where it failed.

eve

Harem

I've cliqued
Text messaging
I quite often don't receive text messages on my Turkcell phone - until a couple of days later!!! My husband actually rang me on mine yesterday, but the phone didn't even ring - until we were both in the car about an hour later!!!!

val2661

Text messaging
I received a text recently which a friend had sent from the UK 4 months earlier! Often when I send texts to UK they are not received. I am also on Turkcell.

Val

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Text messaging
I think it's all a bit hit and miss. If your call Turkcell, they'll probably just tell you what you want to hear.

Text messaging
If I have an important message to give I always think its better to send it in a way where there is some confirmation that it has been recieved, so ideally in a two way conversation by phone or face to face (which these days could be on the computer as well as in person).

Letters/eMails/texts are all a bit uncertain as you don't know they have been recieved unless you get a reply.

Bubskar

Text messaging
Thanks guys that was useful.

I actually sent the message on the 18th at around 5.00 p.m. My friend opened their phone on the 24th when they returned to Turkey. That makes it a clear seven days prior.

Like you say it is a bit hit and miss. I am sure in the past I have received messages after a week or so of my phone being turned off.

I don't really want to go through the provider tracking it as it was important at the time but does not seem that important now. It just makes me mad when people say they did not receive a message.

Does the same apply for missed calls?

gren

Text messaging
Maybe your friend is lying!

Or maybe they hadn't topped up thereby losing their ability to recieve calls/texts.

If its important, CALL.

Text messaging
Most of the service providers say on their websites that texts are only kept for 72hrs. If a phone is switched off they will keep trying to send the text for up to three days but then its away into the ether! I presume the Turkish providers will be the same or pretty similar.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom