Tesco's Loophole
We have enjoyed many weekends away using our Tesco points!

What do other members use their points on?

Andy & Sue

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Tesco's Loophole
i doubled mine up to buy baby equipment for my grandchild due in january. don;t do much shopping there now though too expensive

Bill & Cate

Tesco's Loophole
Airmiles are BA - a lot of airlines do their own airmiles but the Tesco points airmiles are with BA

I have just managed to get enough points for one return flight by buying the CDs which were offering 500 bonus points. Am seriously thinking about buying 3 mobile phones just to get the points but when I went online they were out of stock.

There is currently a double-up offer with Tesco points and airmiles. If you have NOT exchanged your points for airmiles before then they will double the airmiles on your first transaction. So, I bought 10 CDs for £9.00 + 500 bonus points each (£90) and then sold them for £5.00 each so the CDs cost me £40. However, I received 5000 bonus points (plus points for the purchase). 60 airmiles costs 250 points so for each thousand points you will receive 240 airmiles. So, 5000 gives me 1200 airmiles which will be doubled up to 2400 airmiles on my first exchange. A return flight to Turkey is 2500 airmiles.

The downside is I won't get the airmiles until March/April so will not know until then if I have got my sums right..... lol. I searched the site to make sure there was not a limit on the number of points that would be doubled and couldn't find any restriction.

Check out the Tesco site for all the details and please do your sums before you try this just in case I have got it wrong.

Last edited:

kaplumba

Tesco's Loophole
Not really Peregine. I like Tesco and it is my nearest supermarket. I have a Tesco credit card and club card. Having the credit card means I get extra points. I buy almost all of my groceries there and petrol and put it all on the card, paying it off in full each time. I also use the card for all other expenditures. My points are exchanged for airmiles automatically every 3 months.The airmiles web site is easy to use and in the last year I have used them for 2 return trips to Zurich, 1 return trip for 2 to Zurich including 3 nights hotel accommodation. I am about to use them again for another return trip to Zurich in a few weeks. I could use the points as money off vouchers in the store but I prefer to have the airmiles. If you have enough airmiles there is nothing else to pay or you can use part miles part cash for most flights. One thing you should be aware of is if you are using a lot of your miles on a trip you should consider insuring them as in the event of cancellation you will not get them back without insurance.

Last edited:

Bill & Cate

Tesco's Loophole
One thing you should be aware of is if you are using a lot of your miles on a trip you should consider insuring them as in the event of cancellation you will not get them back without insurance.

Thanks for that - never gave cancellation a thought!!! How do you insure your airmiles????

Cate

kaplumba

Tesco's Loophole
You are given the opportunity while booking. You can pay with airmiles or with cash. I once had to test this insurance as we had to cancel at the last minute. I got all my miles back quickly.
Here are a few tips to maximise your points:

get a Tesco credit card but always pay it off every month (this makes a big difference)
Use it for your in store shopping but you also get points on any other use. I pay for everything I can with it.
Get your petrol at Tesco - they also often have 5p off a litre when you spend 50 pounds in store.
Make sure you tell the cashier how many of your own bags you have used when shopping. You should be getting 3 points for every large bag you use. They don't always give the right amount so I am always a nuisance and tell therm! Some of them are very generous and give much more than that.
Look out for vouchers that they send you from time to time giving extra points.

We have been collecting airmiles for years and when my children were younger it paid for at least one set of 4 return flights to Munich every winter for skiing. Now I have become really canny about collecting them I think we get much more out of them.

butt007

Warren
Tesco's Loophole
Hi Bill and Cate, the mileage from Man. to Antalya return is 3886 miles so 2500airmiles would not cover it.
Warren

Bill & Cate

Tesco's Loophole
Hiya Warren

Gatwick to Bodrum is 2,500 airmiles. If you want to travel from a regional airport then you have to add on another 500 airmiles. So that would make it 3,000 airmiles. (Still a bargain if you work your Tesco points correctly - especially out of season when flights can be so expensive).

Cate

kaplumba

Tesco's Loophole
Hi Warren. It doesn't actually work by the actual mileage to a place. Take a look on airmiles uk web site and you will see they have zoned the world and you pay according to the zone your destination is in. For Turkey they have Ankara, Istanbul, Antalya and Izmir - all in the 2500 zone. Those are mostly from London airports, regional ones will cost more. Also only a certain number of seats on each plane are available as airmiles seats. This year we were going to use our miles to get to Izmir but couldn't make up our minds when to go. When we finally decided, all the seats had gone. I have never had that problem travelling to European destinations as often there are several flights a day to choose from.

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Tesco's Loophole
Kaplumba/Jane - you are a woman after my own heart! I love collecting my Tesco points and seeing them stack up (don't have a car so no points from petrol but if you keep your eyes peeled you can build the points up by being canny and so long as you don't buy just for the sake of the points).
Martin Lewis always has bits on his weekly e-mail newsletter (www.moneysaving expert.com) - this may be the link in Andy's original post (haven't looked at the link yet!)
Personally, I do the Clubcard reward deals and get 4x the value so £2.50 clubcard voucher = £10 in tokens for days out, meals etc. The last few times I have gotten meal tokens - I find it a good way to try out some of the chain places (Bella Italia, Pizza Express, La Tasca, Ortega (tapas), Cafe Rouge are some so far)...you have to pay for drinks and it excludes set menus & other offers obviously but it makes it a cheap treat. In the past I've also had days out and theatre tickets to Billy Elliot.
Carol x

Latest Posts

Top Bottom