Meah

Tenant's rights in Turkey
We've been renting our house from our next door neighbours for 10 years .In December their daughter told us we have until March to find somewhere else to live .We are looking but with my husband working 5/6 days a week and curfews at the weekend its proving difficult and I can only look online but there are very few properties suitable .With only 1 income everything is out of our price range
Im wondering what rights we have as tenants as we have nothing signed .My husband only signed something years ago when we first moved in . He phoned them last night to say the apartment we found wasn't suitable and their daughter said well you still have 2 months left .
We viewed one apartment outside of where we live but that would mean changing schools for my daughter and I'm just not prepared to do that ,she's already had to deal with being off school for nearly 1 year and do online lessons .I don't want her to have to lose her friends too .
I think having only 4 months to find somewhere to live after 10 years is too short . surely they can't make us go by then ?
Another point to make is that I doubt very much that they pay any tax on earnings from rent .

Bramidan

Meah, you need to seek professional advice, perhaps initially call your local Housing Dept (I'm assuming you are in the UK) they might be able to give you contact details.
Whilst everybody on TLF are well meaning you need this handled properly.
I would just state that in order to gain possession the landlord needs to serve an eviction notice.
The point they might or might not have paid tax on their property investment is irrelevant.

TLF Admin

Administrator
I found some info which might help.

Do I have to evacuate the property at the end of the lease term if the landlord is not willing to renew the lease agreement?

According to law, lease agreement is automatically renewed for a term of one-year based on the same conditions and provisions of the principle agreement unless the tenant does not provide a notification to the landlord terminating the lease agreement. It is not a legal necessity to sign a renewal agreement to extend the term of the lease agreement. On the other hand, landlord can terminate the agreement only based on the specific grounds as set forth under the Code of Obligations.

Full article can be found here

Meah

Thanks . No we rent in Turkey not the UK. My husband is not concerned but its causing me great stress. He's been like a son to them and for them to only give us 4 months I'm finding hard to deal with .I thought I read somewhere maybe on here that its 1 month for every year of renting .I was wondering if anyone might know if this is correct or not .
I don't know if it makes a difference or not but we've only been told verbally and not had anything in writing.

Camden

Hi Meah why don't you put where you live/want to live in Turkey and your monthly rent budget you can afford. As maybe one of the TLF members may know someone who wants to rent , or a property available , some even work/have emlaks estate agents and may know of a place, or someone in your area who has ..... Even some members unable to visit their properties due to the Pandemic or other reasons may want someone to house sit as temp measure ... it is worth a try ...I wish you and your family the best..... Paul (Camden)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom