hat

Sunny
teaching at Bodrum Marmara
hi everyone,
My sister has applied for a teaching position at the Bodrum Marmara College. Please could you kindly let me if any of you guys know about the benefit package for teachers at bodrum marmara college. salary, accom etc.....

Also any more info about the college and its approach towards its English teachers?

Many Thanks,

Happy New Year

captain

hi everyone,
My sister has applied for a teaching position at the Bodrum Marmara College. Please could you kindly let me if any of you guys know about the benefit package for teachers at bodrum marmara college. salary, accom etc.....

Also any more info about the college and its approach towards its English teachers?

Many Thanks,

Happy New Year

Presumably, as it is your Sister who has applied for the job, she will be well aware of the salary and benefits on offer - why not ask her what they are??:wow::wow::wow:

hat

Sunny
she does not much information as there is no info on the college website for employment.
I have sent the thread on behalf as she does not have an account.

Thanks

Last edited:

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Hello hat and welcome to the forum.

I'm an ex English teacher but unfortunately, do not know this school you mention as I worked in Izmir. However your sister should do as much research as possible.

I've googled and found this site

http://www.merhabaforums.com/educational-topics-f15/internati-111-nal-school-bodrum-t3806.html

It's quite negative about the school, so I googled further and got more of the same types of posts - not looking good.

Suggest your sister treads warily and researches thoroughly

Reactions: hat

captain

she does not much information as there is no info on the college website for employment.
I have sent the thread on behalf as she does not have an account.

Thanks

There's no information about employment but she's applied for a job?

hat

Sunny
Liz,
Thank you very much, that was very kind of you to do the search.
She had read the threads from the above link that you had suggested.
The comments are from 2008 and she is hoping that things might of changed since then.
Thanks

hat

Sunny
yes she applied, she wants to move to Bodrum and was told that Marmara College was the only private school in the area.

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
There's no information about employment but she's applied for a job?

Captain,

It's quite normal for schools not to provide the salary in job ads, especially when looking for foreigners to teach English - they often don't want the Turkish teachers to know what they are paying foreigners because it causes friction.

Anyone considering leaving home to teach English in another country is always wise to do lots of extra research about the school independently. The OP's sister may well know the requirements laid down by the school but that should just be her starting point and should be checked out thoroughly before uprooting to a new country.

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Liz,
Thank you very much, that was very kind of you to do the search.
She had read the threads from the above link that you had suggested.
The comments are from 2008 and she is hoping that things might of changed since then.
Thanks

Yes, I noticed that too, and it's possible that it may have got its act together.

If you can't find anything more recent, it is acceptable to ask the school to provide contact details of previous teachers for references.

Expat2008

Be careful is all I'd say. I'm an experienced teacher and Turkey is the fifth and worst country I have taught in by far. The language courses are by and large notorious. There are some good private lysees in Istqnbul but good jobs in this field are like gold dust.

hat

Sunny
Yes, I noticed that too, and it's possible that it may have got its act together.

If you can't find anything more recent, it is acceptable to ask the school to provide contact details of previous teachers for references.
Thank you for your advice. If she gets an interview offer, should she ask the school directly about the benefits prior to her interview? as it is nearly a mission for her to travel to bodrum.
Thanks

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Thank you for your advice. If she gets an interview offer, should she ask the school directly about the benefits prior to her interview? as it is nearly a mission for her to travel to bodrum.
Thanks

Can I ask, has she just randomly picked this school and sent in her CV because she wants to work in that part of Turkey?

Does she have a degree and teaching certifcate such as CELTA/TESOL or similar?

Expat2008

Yes, but the trouble is that they often lie about the conditions:( I read that old thread and speaking as a teacher myself wouldn't touch it with barge pole in all honesty. Sorry but this is my honest opinion

hat

Sunny
Can I ask, has she just randomly picked this school and sent in her CV because she wants to work in that part of Turkey?

Does she have a degree and teaching certifcate such as CELTA/TESOL or similar?
She has a degree and CELTA. she had sent her CV to them as she wants to live in that part of the country.

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Yes, but the trouble is that they often lie about the conditions:( I read that old thread and speaking as a teacher myself wouldn't touch it with barge pole in all honesty. Sorry but this is my honest opinion

That's my feeling too, Expat2008, and also given the fact that they don't have a website either.

If the OP's sister is qualified and not set on working in Bodrum, she'd be wiser to apply to Istanbul or Izmir

hat

Sunny
That's my feeling too, Expat2008, and also given the fact that they don't have a website either.

If the OP's sister is qualified and not set on working in Bodrum, she'd be wiser to apply to Istanbul or Izmir
I mean the school does have a website but does not say much on about the employment section. It just says to apply via e-mail.

Expat2008

Sirinyergirl, forget Istanbul. The competition's ferocious and it took me ages to get in any way established as a teacher. And there are loads of cowboy outfits in the game. From what I've heard since I've lived in TR, Ankara is the best place and btw lots of small Anatolian towns are crying out for native teachers. Izmir is good but since Istanbul is over saturated and full of unscrupulous operators, it (Izmir) got over subscribed and there is also far less demand for teachers there than there is in Istqnbul and ankara.

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
She has a degree and CELTA. she had sent her CV to them as she wants to live in that part of the country.

I've been out of Turkey for three years so as you can see from Expat2008's response, even the bigger cities are not recommended these days.

I wouldn't be happy about this school in Bodrum, but if your sister goes with them or finds something elsewhere, she needs to do her homework - ask for a sample contract, have a list of questions and get references.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Having a degree and CELTA will put her in a very good position IMO. However take heed on the advice offered here regarding this school. Promises made are very rarely met in many establishments..there are however a huge stockpile of ready made excuses. Istanbul is saturated with native speakers and indeed compitition is fierce without doubt.
Given her atributes perhaps a smaller city where native speakers are rare therefore can have the pick of educational establishments offering good salary, permits, accommodation and flights home (and not empty promises)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom