Ginnoren

Tax on parcels
Hi. My daughter has just told me not to send anymore parcels over to her and her family in corlu. I'm in England . She informs me that when they receive my parcel, which usually only contains little goodie items nothing expensive and not weighing much, she has to pay a 20% of the parcels value in tax.
How on earth do they work that out.
Do I write no monetary value on the parcel. Any helpful advice please.
Regards from a rainy ☔ Southport.

juco

Tax on parcels
I have bought a few items from China (to uk) although they are usually under £5 but I have noticed they are labelled as gifts, and so far never had to pay tax.

A89

Tax on parcels
They changed the law (in May I think) so that now every item from abroad will be taxed. A while ago only a percentage of the value over 20 euros was taxed now the limit has been completely removed. Only books are not taxed. If there is no invoice or apparent value in the parcel they guess and estimate it. Until a few weeks ago I bought a lot of things online and had many bits and bobs sent over by family but after being charged more in the guessed tax charges than the actual value I have stopped.

alison

mamish

Dolphin dreamer
Tax on parcels
I received a letter with two new uk credit cards in it and had to pay duty on it - 6 TL!
:16:
I order quite a few books from Amazon and so far not been charged, but they are taking longer to arrive.

A89

Tax on parcels
I received a letter with two new uk credit cards in it and had to pay duty on it - 6 TL!
:16:
I order quite a few books from Amazon and so far not been charged, but they are taking longer to arrive.

Ridiculous to be charged for the cards! Another fine example of them doing exactly what they want regardless of the law!
Books wont be charged for because books are the only thing that are exempt.

alison

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Tax on parcels
The danger with Chinese sellers is that, trying to be helpful, they massively understate the price. Customs are not stupid, and on the occasions I have been asked for paperwork (twice this year) they ask for a copy of the advert and copy of the payment either through bank or card. I have had to insist with sellers that they put the real value - which they find quite strange; the fuss is not worth the hassle for a few TL; fines for deception can be at 100% of value + taxes and original duty, and if you are lucky they will let you keep the item.

Ian

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Tax on parcels
Last year I ordered 2 items from Aliexpress........never arrived.

I wasn't aware of this change........it is a useful bit info.

It does state 'No formal decision has been taken to abolish the tax exemption for sales below 22 Euros'......but like most things it probably came into law without any notification.

I ordered an item for 15tl 6 weeks ago from Aliexpress.......wonder if it'll arrive :)

As Kemerkid asks, If anyone has this information please post a link.

A89

Tax on parcels
Ive been trying to find the article I saw in facebook about the % of the value that will be charged and found this instead. The % I saw before I'm sure were 14% and 16% depending where theyre coming from. If I find it I'll post that too.

"Heads up! From a local news website. From July 14, the number of internet orders from outside Turkey will be restricted
'Restrictions are imposed on imported shipments by mail and express cargo. Accordingly, a maximum of 5 products can be imported from abroad in a month.
They will make purchases from abroad ATTENTION ..! THE LAW HAS CHANGED…
Restrictions are imposed on imported shipments by mail and express cargo. Accordingly, a maximum of 5 products can be imported from abroad in a month.
Restrictions are imposed on the shipments of real and legal persons that are imported by mail and express cargo.
Following the abolition of the tax exemption for products under 22 euros from abroad last month, another move was made to restrict imports from the government. According to the decision in the Official Gazette, free circulation of up to 5 bill of lading will be allowed in a month. With the decision taken, one individual can order up to 5 products from abroad and 5 samples from companies.
IT WILL BE ENFORCED IN JULY 14
According to the news in Bloomberg HT, the 126th article, which is the subject of the decision, includes transactions such as personal goods, fast-value goods, sample goods and books and printed publications made by fast shipping companies. The decision will enter into force on 14 July.
Aslan Kut, President of the Cargo, Courier and Logistics Operators Association, said that the restriction in question would have a negative impact on the commercial flow, and that there should be no restrictions. Kut said they would forward their requests to the authorities."

alison

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Tax on parcels
The original poster was asking about sending to Corfu! Seems strange to have to pay tax within the EU...

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Tax on parcels
I have been trying to find the % value to be paid for items coming from AliExpress. If anyone has this information please post a link.
]

There are many "Duty Calculator" sites (do a Google using that phrase) that will work it out for you, but you will need to know how it is described i.e. the category the item is designated in HS Code list. Some sites will allow you to search HS Code designations too.

Usually such sites let you do a few searches free, but may want payment for multiple searches. The way round that is to move to another site, or clear your cache memory.

Example (there are many): https://customsdutyfree.com/duty-calculator/

Ian

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Tax on parcels
Ha!!
Oops��

I looked quickly and saw Corfu, makes sense now��

Latest Posts

Top Bottom