istanbuljim

istanbuljim
tax/finance expert
Hello everyone,

I recently did an interview with a radio program out of New York that focuses on the expat market. The host wants to open a regular segment or series of shows about Turkey, and is looking for some experts to interview. One of the areas he would like is taxes, finances, basic money matters faced by an expat living in Turkey. If any of you think you might be a good candidate for this and would like to give it a try, please drop me a line, and we'll compare notes on the matter until you and I both feel you ought to be talking with the host, instead of me. Also, if you know of experts in other areas, such as real estate and tourism, please let me know.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jim

jim@managingleadership.com

Susan

Non Active Member
tax/finance expert
Hi Jim Stroup,

Think you did something like this on a Spanish Forum, also think someone pointed out to you that half your website was copied and pasted from other sites, but you just alter a few words, seems like some of your new articles are taken from Technorati and Nicholas G Carr.

Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself and what you really want, and how you came across this website.

We have just had someone join the forum who wanted to do a TV show regarding property in Turkey, but after members posting their thoughts about it all, she never posted once, very strange do you not think.

Also if you were in the postiton you state you are in, do you not know it is dam right dangerous to give out your email address on an open forum, never know what you may receive, lots of nasty spamers out there.

Any way most members will just pm you or state what they know on the open forum, that is the way we normally work, not behind closed doors.

Look forward to reading your introduction to the forum, and who the radio station who you did your program with was, no doubt some of our American members may have heard it.

Susan

istanbuljim

istanbuljim
tax/finance expert
Hello Susan,

I have not posted anything at any time on a Spanish forum, although I have made a couple of posts along the lines of this one on another forum about Turkey. I received civil and productive responses to these.

Everything written on my site is written by me. None of it is copied and pasted. All of it is original. Please restrain your criticisms and make an effort to investigate any concerns you may have about someone before broadcasting them. Along those lines, please allow me to inform you that Technorati, for example, is not a blog. It is a service that, among other things, allows one to search blogs, and also provides links to recent posts on blogs. If any of my work has been found on Technorati, it would be in the form of a link to my site. As for Nicholas G Carr, I don't know him, but a search on Google led me to his blog, where he writes on matters related to internet communications and the companies involved in this; not remotely related to what I write about or to what can be found on my site. Do not make such unfounded allegations again.

As for what I really want, I stated that, and need not do so again.

I do not of the other posting on this site about the TV show, nor do I know why you would imagine I should, since I just joined the forum this evening. I was referred by my brother-in-law and his partner, who are members and frequent contributors.

When I determine that I have found credible interest in doing interviews for the radio host, I will inform him of them, and arrange for them to communicate directly. My purpose is to help him out, and to protect him from crank communications. Such as, unfortunately, the one I am responding to now.

Good luck to you and to your future correspondents.

Jim

Susan

Non Active Member
tax/finance expert
Hi Jim, did as you said and did some research and this is what I came up with.

I take it your brother in law is VWBug.

Sorry to forgot to say it was taken from your web - site

Susan

Jim Stroup is a management consultant specializing in organizational leadership. Born and raised in Detroit, Michigan, Jim began his working career with stints in a diner, several gas stations, a tool and die shop, and in an advertising agency mail room. During this period, his academic career went into a long hiatus after two years studying philosophy and history. After a few years, he moved to North Dakota to take a job as a common laborer on a construction site.

Later, Jim enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps, and served as an Infantry Marine in the United States and Japan, as well as on deployments to the Mediterranean and the Western Pacific. After several years, and promotion to the rank of sergeant, Jim was selected for a commissioning program. As an Infantry Officer, he continued to serve as a commander and staff officer in the operating forces in Hawaii, with further deployments to the Western Pacific and Indian Oceans. Upon assignment to a major training command on the West Coast, he was instrumental in the expansion and development of three major specialty certification and professional development programs. Later, Jim served in the first Gulf War, in 1990 and 1991. During his spare time in this period, Jim also completed his bachelor’s degree, magna cum laude, in international relations, and a master’s degree with a dual concentration in business and management.

Jim subsequently entered the Marine Corps Foreign Area Officer program, and went to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California, where he learned Arabic. Next, he and his family moved to Cairo, Egypt, where they lived for a year while Jim traveled throughout the Middle East, honing his skills as a military expert for the area. During this time, he also managed to obtain certification as a foreign area officer for Europe, with a specialty for Turkey. After serving a further tour as the operations advisor for the Kuwait Ground Forces, Jim retired and turned to work in the civilian world, during which period he also found time to complete a doctorate in business administration.

During and since his military career, Jim has had the opportunity to work with, observe, and advise numerous military and civilian organizations, from many countries and cultures, on four continents. He has developed substantial expertise in organizational leadership, and he consults widely and writes on this subject, as well as other related organizational and management topics.

Jim is married and splits his residence between Istanbul, Turkey and San Diego, California. While still in the United States, his wife, Emel, obtained her doctorate in clinical psychology. She is also a certified cognitive therapist, and she practices and teaches in Istanbul. Jim and Emel have one son, Tarik, who is a graduate of the visual arts program at the University of California, San Diego, and who lives and works in his field in Southern California.

istanbuljim

istanbuljim
tax/finance expert
Susan,

Speaking of copying and pasting, your last post is indeed a cut and paste that could be from any of a number of sites where it is legitimately posted, including one of my own. I must say I'm not sure what your purpose is in posting it here, but I certainly have no problem with it.

I do hope someone will be know of a good candidate as an expert on money matters for the expat in Turkey for a 20-30 minute recorded interview. I look forward to hearing from anyone who might be interested.

Thank you all, again.

Jim

Susan

Non Active Member
tax/finance expert
istanbuljim said:
Susan,

Speaking of copying and pasting, your last post is indeed a cut and paste that could be from any of a number of sites where it is legitimately posted, including one of my own.

Jim

Jim, That is what I posted that is was taken from your website which is www.managingleadership.com. that is where I took it from

Did not try to hide the fact where it was taken from, but you told me to do some research into who was who before posting and thats what I did do.

So I just posted it to let you see that I had.

Maybe if you tell me the name of your Navy Ship you were on during the first Gulf War, we may have met as I lived in the Middle East at that time, and worked in the department where all Navy Ships coming into port were recorded and stayed while waiting to go out on active duty.

My local club was also the place for all personal of the ships to have access to, as not many bars etc in town would let them in.

Could turn out to as they say "A Small World"

Susan

Guz1

tax/finance expert
Just to lighten things up a bit, may I suggest the market traders in Kusadasi. When it comes to money they have sharper minds than anyone I've ever met.

:) :) :)

istanbuljim

istanbuljim
tax/finance expert
Susan - I was ashore, not aboard ship, during the first Gulf War.

Guz1 - thank you for your idea; at this point, however, I think I'm going to have to close this conversation thread and discontinue responding to any further replies posted here, as I have had no relevant on-forum or indirect contacts, and the phase for identifying interviewees is over. I will give the radio host what I have now.

My thanks to the participants in this thread for a peculiarly interesting experience, and my best wishes to any visitors who have been to this thread. I look forward to continuing to sample them, myself.

Sincerely,

Jim

Latest Posts

Top Bottom