ChrisBobs

Tax Evasion by Foreigners..!!
You can always rely on Today's Zaman to tout the official line. I wonder if all those estate agents who actually advised under declaration blatantly on their websites can be found now.

However it looks like the Tax man is seriously chasing the money : Central Bank Foundation hit by hefty tax fine
so is it time to declare rental income?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
One of the interesting facts investigators discovered was that some foreign homeowners rent their properties to third parties.

They're really on the ball, aren't they ? :lol:

carolk

R.I.P
I had to laugh out loud when I read this!!

Of all the mistakes in the real estate industry - this is the one they pick up on - not the ones that cause people to loose their properties. Its a bloody joke!!

zozatky

Of all the mistakes in the real estate industry - this is the one they pick up on - not the ones that cause people to loose their properties. Its a bloody joke!!

Well said Carolk more mony for the TAX MAN.!!

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
If they want people to integrate into society, what better way than joining in with the national sport of tax evasion?
Ian

zozatky

I supposed as foriegners we should be flattered that the Turkish goverment not only assumes we understand how their tax system works but are clever enough to evade paying what is due. Dont they realise that the emlaks were the instogators.

By the way are there any rules to the national sport of TAX EVASION...!!!

M

Mack

I was recently approached to setup a computer system for a large hotel (no names) and the first thing I was asked was "did I know about and could I setup the "double booking" system on the software to show the taxman a lower occupancy rate than actuality", of course I know the practice is common in Turkish Hotels to avoid paying more tax when you have higher occupancy but to hear this as the first request from a reputable (ahem!) hotel chain was a bit of a shock.

It is a national sport and the quicker they can recover the direct taxes that should be paid the quicker the indirect taxes "may" come down (petrol, cars etc.) But again, this is Todays Zaman, the AKP mouthpiece and scaremongering rag so whether its actually going to happen or not is debatable.

barbarak

Tax evasion

What do you do if your builder registered the purchase price of your property as less than what you paid for it on your Tapu document, hes obviously evading tax but i think we may be liable too????

barbarak

Hey i don't think its fair to blame foreign propery owners, as the majority of them are only over in Turkey on hols, and they trusted their builder and interpreter on the day of registering their Tapu to do everything by the book so they were conned also, most had never heard of this "national sport of tax evasion" Its only really coming to light now!!!

juco

All I have to say is stick to your guns and what is on your tapu (if you have one) is what you paid for the property, let them prove otherwise.

I know many would like to come clean but will not now risk the fines.

Carol, never a truer word spoken.
Thats the first thing I said when I read it. The next four words were "well for f@ck's sake".

Mary.

CJD

beggars belief!! I'm suprised that there are not more comments under the article

Bim

Maybe (A big when!) the turkish government takes action on the low life scumbags who rip honest people, then this would sort out the tax evasion problem out. Its on there own doorstep carried out by there own people. There atitude really stinks!. (A Very peed off owner).

This article in the Zaman Today was posted two years ago.There was another one two years before that. Has anything happened since then?
It seems it raises it's head every now and again. So I would say, another Zaman article is due.

Mary.

traveller

The article in Zaman is dated August 2009. I haven't heard of any investigations in Fethiye - yet.

But it's a bl**dy cheek to blame foreigners for tax evasion when it's really down to their own builders, emlaks, solicitors etc who persuade buyers that "it's OK this is how it works here" or " the council sets the tapu value".

It's only way after the event that buyers get clued in to what they have unwittingly been made a party to. Usually through forums like this.

If the government is really intent on cleaning up this problem they should declare an amnesty for any foreign owners who come forward and declare the true purchase price, let them pay what tax should have been paid at the time of purchase and then amend their tapus accordingly.

Then they should pursue the builders, emlaks, and sellers who were actually responsible for deliberate tax evasion.

However, in the real world world, the possibility of anything being done to support foreign buyers, is rather remote I think. Much easier to just extort more from easy targets.

Otherwise perhaps Juco has the right idea, stay stum and say you paid whats on the tapu - only problem then is CGT if you sell before the time limit.

Tommie

Sun Worshipper
When I signed my sales contract, I was clearly informed that the contract would be Notarised.

I have been inform that if a contract is notarised, there is a tax of 3.3% to be paid. This is based on the specified value in the sales contract. I am not sure when this is paid.

I also understand that when a property is sold, there is a tax of 6% to be paid. This is based on the value specified on the Tapu, when issued.

Does this mean that there are 2 taxes to be paid on a property?

Needless to say, my sales contract was not notarised.

If the developer refuses to pay these taxes, can they be claimed from the Tapu holder?

Bim

When I bought my apartment (The 2nd time after being ripped off) We had a Solicitor who stated its ok, the agent said its ok, & the builder who stated its ok. So as far as im concerned im ok :) Personally the government needs to get its act together in tackling fraud By its own people). Turkey is a great place & hopefully I wil retire there... but this negative talk & blaming or using expats as an excuse is not acceptable. Anyhow had my moan - feel better...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom