Tarka Daal - for Heidi
Serves 4-6

Preparation and cooking time: 1 Hour

1/2 cup red split lentils
3 cup water
1 level teaspoon salt
1 small onion chopped
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
4 tablespoons melted vegetable ghee ( olive oil or butter, or both :D )
Pinch turmeric
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 small tomato
2 teaspoons finely chopped green coriander

Pick over the lentils for any stones and wash them in several changes of water. Put into a saucepan with the 3 cups of water, add the salt and bring to boil.

Turn down the heat and simmer uncovered, skimming off the froth that collects at the top for the first 2o minutes or so of cooking. After this stage, the pan should be partly covered with the lid.

Cook, stirring occasionally, for the total of 1 hour, at the end of which time you will have a pale yellow, soup-like consistancy.

While that daal is cooking, fry the onion and garlic in the ghee until the onions are pale brown.

Add the turmeric and garam masala to the onions and cook for 2 or 3 seconds.

Stir the onion mixture into the cooked lentils. Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped tomato and green coriander.

Gail

Tarka Daal - for Heidi
Yummy yummy, I will put my butter chicken on here later!! yummy yummy, there is enough butter in it to give you a heart attack but it's gorgeous.

Gail:)

heidi

Tarka Daal - for Heidi
Big thanks Mushtaq, I will have to get Garam masala from England and I cannot find fresh corriander here but I am sure that is not too important. I have a friend who will allow me a few tea spoons of her spices so I am off home to cook later and report the findings......

alain01

Tarka Daal - for Heidi
Fresh produce is not imperative in oriental cookery Heidi but the experts will tell you it tastes better..believe me, after a few Tigers you can't tell the difference..Alan.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom