carolk

R.I.P
Tapu (Title Deed) charges and habitation certificate ransom
This is to hopefully clear up any misunderstandings for the many people who PM regarding the following:

Tapu (Title Deeds)

As most of you are aware there is a 3% charge on your title deeds. This is correct. Where it is not correct is when and who you pay. It is 3% of the amount shown on your Tapu (Title Deeds). The confusion, for want of a better word comes in is- where, when and who you give it to. If you pay it to someone before your Tapu is ready you are liable to be charged at the rate you have actually paid for the property i.e. £50,000 will make the charge around £1,500, then of course when you go to receive your Tapu you will pay nothing, because you have paid. The Tapu may then say 20,000TL which would make the charge 600TL. The 3% is usually split between buyer and seller. A further 150TL tax is added by the government at this stage.

You should not agree to pay any fees for your Tapu (Title Deeds) until they are ready. I will leave you to ponder where this money (excess) goes.

Habitation Certificate - Ransom

This should be paid by the builder of any property as it it made up of taxes and workers ins (among other things). It has been my experience of late that some builders are not paying this and are dividing their total bill between the apartment/villa owners.
Check your contract to see how the property will be delivered to you i.e. free of debt. As you need this document I can only suggest you all get together and see a solicitor or pay the ransom, its up to you and I say that because I am unfortunately hearing both things. Some people are saying jigger it and, paying up, others are hopping mad. While ever some people pay then this situation will carry on.

Hope this helps.:D

Last edited:

Martyn

It was but the point Carol is making is you'd best be paying it on collection of the Tapu and not up front. That way you will pay the correct rate based on the correct value that is on the Tapu.

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
So are you saying its still 1.5 for the buyer and 1.5 for the seller?

Martyn

No idea I was just reinforcing the point Carol was making that if you pay up front say 1.5% and the rate at the time of the Tapu collection is 0.5% you are losing out. Pay at the time of collection and you will know the % currently being used and the value as is on the Tapu. I think the split(whatever %) is sorted out on the contract.

Mushtaq

Founding Member
So are you saying its still 1.5 for the buyer and 1.5 for the seller?

It's supposed to be split 50/50 between buyer and seller, but lot of time it depends on the sales agreement, sometimes the seller will sneak in the contract that the buyer pays the whole lot, so it's worth checking your contract before signing.

carolk

R.I.P
Yes Lilylily, that is correct, the amount is usually split between buyer and seller, unless you have a contract that says otherwise and there are some, so please read them carefully.

Martyn thanks, that is the point I am trying to make!

Tess

At the minute Carol it seems that lots are having to stump up collectively to realise the goal of receiving the tapu, sad but otherwise stalemate. Ransom is of course the correct term, in many cases. Thanks so much once again Carol for another helpful and informative post from your good self.
I should have stated also the Ransom will also stretch to the buyer having to stump up the 3per cent also, or the same scenario, stalemate. At least Dick Turpin had the manners to wear a mask !!!!

Last edited:

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
Well thanks for that you have now clarified that the three per cent is split between the seller and the buyer in most cases. In your original post you did nt specify this so anyone not in the know would automatically think they would have to pay three per cent of the Tapu value!

carolk

R.I.P
Well thanks for that you have now clarified that the three per cent is split between the seller and the buyer in most cases. In your original post you did nt specify this so anyone not in the know would automatically think they would have to pay three per cent of the Tapu value!

I have now changed it to make it clearer.

Tess

I think in lots of cases whether you are 'in the know, or not 3per cent is what it will take to get your tapu. Whilst some builders do have a cash flow prob at the minute I do think others will take the 'opportunist' route and cry poor mouth, thus forcing those waiting to collect tapus to stump up the 3per cent, otherwise take the chance and wait, how many will want to take the chance, methinks, not many. I mean no disrespect to any reputable builder but I and I am positive others do know those that will!!! IMHO.

carolk

R.I.P
Akbukowl, it should cost you nothing, because the builder should apply for this, but if he has not done so and can't or won't apply for this then it can cost you a fair amount of money, this has been covered here many times, do a search and you should find the other threads about applying for your Hab Cert.

Last edited:
L

les&Tasha

Carol,

The huge mistake here is paying for the property before you get the Tapu. My advice is NEVER to pay more than 50% of the purchase price until the Tapu is delivered. If you are buying a resale no more than 10%. If you follow this advice you cannot be held to ransom. In my personal experience once you have paid you have no leverage.

The sale contract must be written in Turkish, translated to English by an official translator and notorized. Otherwise it is unenforcable...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom