civciv

Tapestry Holidays ceased trading
I have just read on the Travel Trade Gazette website, confirmed on Tapestry's own website, that they ceased trading today. How sad. People are on holiday in Turkey, Croatia and other destinations, and ABTA of course will come to the rescue to get them back. No doubt people are worried about their travel plans... what a day its been today in the travel world.

Maybe some of you havent heard of them but Tapestry is/was an upmarket tour operator, who unfortunately seemed to be selling really cheap holidays to top quality properties for a number of years. A friend of mine worked for them in Kalkan a few years ago. They had some amazing properties in some of the more Turkish holiday resorts.

Is this a sign of the times?

Carolyn

It is a great shame. We travelled with Tapestry on several occasions. Initially, they were VERY expensive to holiday with, but with previous guest loyalty rewards offering 2 people for 1 and further discounts at certain times of the year, i.e. 2 weeks for the price of 1 at August Bank holiday times, their prices quickly came down to about the same as many other package holidays. Their reps. were always well trained, knowledgeable and not allowed to make "recommendations" as to eating places etc. I know from one or two friends who used to work for them that they were amongst the few (if not only) reps. who received a decent salary and didn't make commission on selling trips. Most of their properties - boutique hotels, villas etc. were off the beaten track, away from the busiest tourist hubs e.g. Kaya, Ocakkoy (where we stayed many a time). The only really commercial property in the Fethiye area they dealt with was Ramos' Place in Hisaranou.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
That's going to mean quite a big loss of income for several businesses in the Kaya area.

civciv

Tapestry always had the most wonderful brochures and started the virtual tours of properties on their website. I know one of their directors left and formed a new company so assume they have been successful and overtaken Tapestry in this niche market. The news couldnt be worse for the tourism industry in turkey this summer.

speedy

their losses reported over the last three years were as below, so were not looking too healthy

(£791,087)

(£494,844)

(£149,654)

bankieken

civciv said:
Tapestry always had the most wonderful brochures and started the virtual tours of properties on their website. I know one of their directors left and formed a new company so assume they have been successful and overtaken Tapestry in this niche market. The news couldnt be worse for the tourism industry in turkey this summer.
I believe the company started by one of the former directors is called Exclusive Escapes. Whilst in Kalkan recently I regularly saw their vehicles shuttling their customers to and from accommodation in the town.

What a shame. I had my first holiday to Turkey( Kalkan) with Tapestry . Great memories.

"Loss of income" doesn't cover it. The company allways payed property owners well in arrears, many will be owed thousands of pounds, I wager that all the directors recieved their due salary.

civciv

I believe many tour operators pay in arrears - Goldtrail and My Travel do this, as many hoteliers have told me in the past. I used to work for Thomson who paid within a few weeks of arrival (well Im going back over 10 years) and they would pay in advance for blocks of guaranteed rooms. But yes, it will be a lengthy wait for hoteliers as I guess ABTA will have to work out who is owed what.

Years ago a British tour company went bust, they phoned their rep's and told them to get to Dalaman, not to bother with the poor tourists, just get to the airport. We had friends in a hotel who were not only left stranded but were actualy held to ransome by the unpaid hotelier. ABTA eventualy helped the tourists via Thompsons, but our friends vowed never to come to Turkey again. We vowed never to become involved with a British holiday company.

civciv

i think that was Intersun?! early 1990s? I was working overseas at the same time and I remember what it was like for some of the reps in spain as they had to sort their own flights back as well as the customers, and werent going to be paid either! Havent seen any news in the tabloid press so assume its all going smoothly for those guests returning to the uk (well except this terrorism malarky)

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
First holiday to Turkey in 1989 and the company went bust the second week we were here. I thınk the holiday company name was Sun something which had a huge yellow umberella as a logo. We too were left to fend for ourselves and I have horrible memories of an overloaded dolmus stuffed with tired,confused tourists driving to Dalaman airport. Luckily we all got on flights which were arranged through ABTA and I believe the wonderful Thompsons. I too vowed never ever to use an English company again and since then have always travelled solo or on my own broomstick. :lol:

mkc

LindaA

Tapestry's impending closure has been something of an 'open' secret in Kalkan for some time, at least 18 months to my knowledge, hence the reason lots of owners of accomodation switching to Exclusive Escapes, whose website is a dead ringer for Tapestry website.

The owner of Tapestry used to contribute regularly to the local rag, Kalkan Post, and was very forthright in his views regarding the development of Kalkan, although I haven't seen anything from him for some time.

Linda

speedy

Tapesty holidays is or was owned by Nicholas and Viviene Wrightman and the strange fact here is that Nicholas Wrightman is also a director of ABTA or Association Of British Travel Agents which can be a worrying thought.

Top Bottom